State visit from Iceland to Norway, March 21-23 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The state visit from Iceland has started today, March 21.

King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit received President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson and his partner with a welcome ceremony in Oslo (Princess Astrid later attended as well). A wreath laying ceremony at Akershus fortress followed.
It's the first Icelandic state visit since 20 years.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Everyone looks so good! I really like the red coat

Iceland´s 1st lady isn´t properly dressed for the welcoming ceremony of a full state visit at all! Her suit looks like an outfit proper for a midday engagement on one of the following days....

Haakom looks really good with the regalia!

I'm in Norway now, and watched the procession into the large dining room and the King's speech live on TV 2 News Channel.

Arrogant as we are here in Norway (according to the swedes) TV 2 didn't bother to send the President's speech. It happens every time there is a state visit here, also when the head of state is from a larger country.

Article with videos of the procession and parts of the King/President's speeches:
https://www.nrk.no/kultur/kongen-hyller-_skam_-1.13438749

Last edited:
On a sidenote, I'm glad that princess Astrid is there. I don't really know why, but I have a soft spot for this cool lady and her aigrettes :)

State Visit from Iceland - The Royal House of Norway

Article with a video of the entire speech given by Norway's amazing King - Translated by me: https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/2...ar-den-nordiske-identiteten-binder-oss-sammen
The close historical ties between the Nordic countries was celebrated when Norway for the first time in 20 years received a visit from Iceland's head of state.

After visiting several places in the capital, it was later in the evening time for the gala dinner at the Royal Palace, where King Harald opened with a speech.

With a twinkle in his eye, he spoke about Iceland's European Championship triumph, as well as the exchange of labor, football coaches, handball coaches and TV series in recent years. He believes that Norway and Iceland must stand together in the face of climate challenges ahead.

''When we see the challenges the world and our two countries face, it's good to know that we are able to stand together. The nordic cooperation is solid, and the Nordic identity binds us together. We Norwegians recognize us in depictions of milieu in the Icelandic television series "Trapped". And the Norwegian TV series "Shame" contributes to identity ties in the Nordic countries'', the king said.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg (H) were among the 184 guests at the gala dinner. The same was handball coach Thorir Hergeirsson and several other Icelanders living in Norway. Langoustines, halibut, pork and cake was served.

The president of Iceland also made a speech. In fluent Norwegian, he made a belated congratulation in connection with King Harald's 80th birthday. He also talked about community and diversity.

''I would like to highlight the King's speech at the garden party last fall. It aroused great attention in Iceland, and I can attest to much of what was said. The residents of a country can be different, but what we have in common is that we want to live together in peace and tolerance'', he said.

Last edited:
On a sidenote, I'm glad that princess Astrid is there. I don't really know why, but I have a soft spot for this cool lady and her aigrettes :)

Exactly the same. I really like her.

It seems that the king's speech was very good. I like that, he also mentioned the climate change.

By the way, I think that these mentioned tv series will soon be shown in Estonia too. :)

Not a fan of Mette-Marit's look.

She looked very underbejewelled for the occasion. She wore the bandeau as a flat hairband. She could have worn in upright, to generate more effect.

Really like seeing princess Astrid with her family , and joining in the events they look like a really close family x

The president of Iceland also made a speech. In fluent Norwegian, he made a belated congratulation in connection with King Harald's 80th birthday. He also talked about community and diversity.

''I would like to highlight the King's speech at the garden party last fall. It aroused great attention in Iceland, and I can attest to much of what was said. The residents of a country can be different, but what we have in common is that we want to live together in peace and tolerance'', he said.

I find it surprising that the king's garden party speech drew attention overseas.

I find it surprising that the king's garden party speech drew attention overseas.
The president referred to the King's famous jubilee speech who made news around the world. It was discussed on BBC/CNN etc. The King was also asked about the speech by Finnish journalists when he and the Queen was on a state visit to Finland.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom