The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,711
Well if other threads are anything to go by, it seems then that all the queens dislike their daughters-in-law! Just because something is not seen in public does not mean it is true and it works the other way....I have have heard that Queen Elizabeth loves the Duchess of Cornwall but of course it will not be shown in public!!!
__________________

__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Her_Majesty's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bochum, Germany
Posts: 8,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria200122003 View Post
What do you think that. I have heard that the queen dislike CP MM ,of course they will not show in the publish.
I never heard about something like that and actually I can not imagine it.

I was reading several times that the Queen sympathizes with CP MM since they both were commoners marrying the Crown Prince.
In the beginning the King and Queens had doubts about CP Haakon's choice to marry MM (mainly because of her past), but they accepted their son's choice.
__________________

__________________
Have a look at TRF Rules and FAQ



Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Kenya's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlottesville, United States
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria200122003 View Post
What do you think that. I have heard that the queen dislike CP MM ,of course they will not show in the publish.

I can't even fathom that. It's impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors, of course, but in all the photos and videos I've seen of Sonja and Mette-Marit together, they have seemed to have a lovely, close relationship. Here are just a few of my favorite moments between them:

At the Queen’s 70th birthday celebrations

At MM's wedding day

At Queen Margarethe’s 70th birthday gala

Another one from Queen Margarethe’s 70th birthday


Sonja also seems to be very fond of Ari Behn, as well. I've always thought that she and Queen Beatrix appeared to have the best relationships with their children's spouses, but that's JMO.

There seems to always be speculation that the queens don't like each of the respective crown princesses (as well as speculation that Queen Silvia doesn't like Prince Daniel), but all of those rumors seem unfounded to me, and it seems like they all have good relationships.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,588
I've heard that Sonja supported Mette especially in the beginning when she married Haakon as there were a few problems because of Mette's past.
Seeing the pictures that Kenya posted, I have no doubt about it that they have a good relationship. But of course you can never know what goes on behind closed doors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,076
This particular mother and daughter in laws have always looked like the ones who have the most in common.
Even in public it doesn't look like there is any animosty which sometimes you see.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I've heard that Sonja supported Mette especially in the beginning when she married Haakon as there were a few problems because of Mette's past.
Yes, Sonja suffered a lot when she married into the NRF, the palace people woudnt accept her or understand her needs. Her best friend became QM of Denmark around that time.

Sonja once said in an interview that she made sure that MM didnt have to go through the same ordeal, eg gave her an own office from the beginning to make a feel a full member of the NRF and the opportunity to create her own environment.

Quote:
Seeing the pictures that Kenya posted, I have no doubt about it that they have a good relationship. But of course you can never know what goes on behind closed doors.
Yes, of course, lots of cases in the past where the public has been fooled, sometimes until the bitter end.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Sonia616's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 22
Relationships between members of the Norwegian royal family.

Hi Guys

I'm so sorry if there is already a thread for this topic.

I really want to find out more about how the various members of the Norwegian royal family interact and get along with each other. For example:

How does Haakon get along with his parents?
Is he close to Martha-Louise?
How does Ari Behn get along with his in-laws?
Was King Harald close to his father, King Olav?

Both Haakon and Mette-Marit seem very affectionate towards their children in public, so I thought maybe their parents behaved the same with them. However, pictures of Haakon as a little boy often show Queen Sonja holding or hugging the kids, while Harald stands behind them or to the side. Is this just the way that the photograph was set up, or is it indicative of Harald's relationship with his kids?

Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just speculation or rumour. I would also LOVE it if anyone has any old stories they heard about any of family members from when they were children.

And if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere, can someone please direct me to the thread?? Thankyou in advance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Fürstin Taxis's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Emmeram, Germany
Posts: 755
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rzsx2s.jpg
__________________
Without obsession, life is nothing.
John Waters

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Maura724's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 772
I have read that Haakon and Märtha Louise were/are very close. I’ve seen a lot of pictures of them as children in royal biographies, and they seem to have spent a lot of time together and always appear to be enjoying each other’s company. I think they had one of the most “normal” upbringings of the current generation of heirs – since Harald did not become King until they were 20 and 18, their parents were able to spend a lot more time with them as children. They seem to have been quite a normal family, and there aren’t any stories that I’m aware of of Haakon or Märtha Louise complaining about their parents leaving them with nannies etc., the way we have with Victoria and Frederik. From everything I’ve read both Haakon and Märtha have good relationships with both their parents today. (Although I don’t think Harald and Sonja are very much amused by Märtha’s angel school and books.)

As far as what you’ve noticed with family pictures, I think that’s more just a reflection of Harald’s personality than an indication that Sonja was closer to the children than he was. I think he’s a very shy person and not particularly expressive, so I don’t think he’s the sort of guy who does anything that would draw attention to himself in photos or when there’s a camera around. I think Sonja almost always seems more animated in any photo.

As far as Ari Behn, I have read a couple of articles/interviews where Ari talks about how well he gets along with Sonja, how wonderful she is, how well she understands him, and so on. I personally find it a little hard to believe, just because Ari seems so, well, odd, and he doesn’t seem to me like someone Harald and Sonja would be all that crazy about. However, I’m personally not all that crazy about Ari, so I may be projecting my own feelings onto them.

I think Harald and Olav were relatively close and had a good relationship. Harald’s mother died when he was 17, so there was a vast amount of time when they were the only major royals and did a lot of work together. However, the child who was closest to Olav wasn’t Harald, it was his sister Astrid. Harald had been closer to his mother.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
bitter

It is not that long that I've become aware of that famous TV interview
It is only know I've read all the translations and your reactions on it
I was schell schocked when I read that, only a few years ago, she burned the letters recieved from her father
To do such, you have to be very bitter about many different things
Her father has after all nothing to do with the choices his grand children are making as adults
If she burned her fathers letters than there must be somethings personal between daughter and father
But bitterness doesn't serve to much good and a royal going public with private matters pull's her down to a rating such as Standard & Poor's do, BB or so?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Maura724's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 772
Ragnhild burned Olav's letters not out of anger at him, but to prevent the letters from becoming public at her death. She was very old-fashioned and traditional and felt like reading her mail was a huge invasion of her privacy. I don't think there was anything explosive in the letters she wanted to hide; I think she just didn't like the idea of people reading private conversations.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
I do understand Ragnhild fears over her personal letters becoming public
But those letter didn't have to become public if no one would have wanted them to become so, they could of have stayed well within her family
Maybe someone in the family would have been very happy to been able to read them, seen them as a very tender souvenir?
At least, I personnaly, if something like it would happen to me, would be enchanted
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Maura724's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 772
I agree that there may have been ways of keeping them private other than burning them. And I think they're loss is a sad one for history and for the family. My main point is just that she didn't do it out of anger. But I still don't think it was her best decision.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
I think I am still upset about the 'burning', ok, burning is just a form of destroying something but still... In my book, burning pictures/letters or whatever rather than ripp them to pieces, even in very small ones, has an other meaning... It is only just, I would not of have done it, but I am sure Ragnhild had her reasons, and I agree it was not the best decision she made... What a pity if you even do not trust one family member to share those particular words who become phrases who are part of a father/daughter relation to share it with
__________________
Car la vie est un bien perdue quand on n'a pas vécu comme on l'aurait voulu Eminescu
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
picture of Olav and Astrid

I have scrapbook of Olav and Co, recentely I found a picture of the late King Olav V and his daughter Astrid, the both of them at a later age
I think it is the most tender picture I have seen of anyone
Prove that words sometimes tell very little
A snapshot sometimes much more
I remained without words when I discovered it I assure
You can find it on 24.media.tumblr.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
I have read that Haakon and Märtha Louise were/are very close. I’ve seen a lot of pictures of them as children in royal biographies, and they seem to have spent a lot of time together and always appear to be enjoying each other’s company. I think they had one of the most “normal” upbringings of the current generation of heirs – since Harald did not become King until they were 20 and 18, their parents were able to spend a lot more time with them as children. They seem to have been quite a normal family, and there aren’t any stories that I’m aware of of Haakon or Märtha Louise complaining about their parents leaving them with nannies etc., the way we have with Victoria and Frederik. From everything I’ve read both Haakon and Märtha have good relationships with both their parents today. (Although I don’t think Harald and Sonja are very much amused by Märtha’s angel school and books.)

As far as what you’ve noticed with family pictures, I think that’s more just a reflection of Harald’s personality than an indication that Sonja was closer to the children than he was. I think he’s a very shy person and not particularly expressive, so I don’t think he’s the sort of guy who does anything that would draw attention to himself in photos or when there’s a camera around. I think Sonja almost always seems more animated in any photo.

As far as Ari Behn, I have read a couple of articles/interviews where Ari talks about how well he gets along with Sonja, how wonderful she is, how well she understands him, and so on. I personally find it a little hard to believe, just because Ari seems so, well, odd, and he doesn’t seem to me like someone Harald and Sonja would be all that crazy about. However, I’m personally not all that crazy about Ari, so I may be projecting my own feelings onto them.

I think Harald and Olav were relatively close and had a good relationship. Harald’s mother died when he was 17, so there was a vast amount of time when they were the only major royals and did a lot of work together. However, the child who was closest to Olav wasn’t Harald, it was his sister Astrid. Harald had been closer to his mother.
__________________
Car la vie est un bien perdue quand on n'a pas vécu comme on l'aurait voulu Eminescu
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
daughters-in-law

I think this goes not only for royals... very often mothers-in-law do no like their daughters-in-law because they are just... you know why
And just as for us in real life they try very hard not to show it in public but you can hear it very well over the phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well if other threads are anything to go by, it seems then that all the queens dislike their daughters-in-law! Just because something is not seen in public does not mean it is true and it works the other way....I have have heard that Queen Elizabeth loves the Duchess of Cornwall but of course it will not be shown in public!!!
__________________
Car la vie est un bien perdue quand on n'a pas vécu comme on l'aurait voulu Eminescu
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
teia's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: venice regio, Italy
Posts: 29
seen on TV

Some time ago I have actually seen a TV interview, I think on ARTE (a French-German tv channel) were Queen Sonja was pretty anoyed by the journalist's question if it was true that she had a bad relationship with cp MM
I assure you she was ready to shoot the journalist to the moon (non verbal reaction of course) Noblesse oblige!
In my book this pretty much means that, her being so upset by the question... proves that the journalist had it quite ?
That was some time ago, I think that meanwhile they have sorted things out and improved their relationships!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
I never heard about something like that and actually I can not imagine it.

I was reading several times that the Queen sympathizes with CP MM since they both were commoners marrying the Crown Prince.
In the beginning the King and Queens had doubts about CP Haakon's choice to marry MM (mainly because of her past), but they accepted their son's choice.
__________________
Car la vie est un bien perdue quand on n'a pas vécu comme on l'aurait voulu Eminescu
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., United States
Posts: 326
I just went back to the beginning of this thread, and I wonder if some of the things Ragnhild said weren't judged a little too harshly. She said she thought her niece and nephew were "badly advised" in their choice of spouses, and she was right: Knowing nothing else about them, a single mother with a complicated past and a moody, controversial writer wouldn't be the best mates for the King's children.

(For that matter, how many families would be thrilled if these were the spouses their children picked?)

Happily, everything seems to have worked out well so far. I don't know much about Ari, but I've been impressed with how intelligent and mature Mette-Marit has seemed in interviews. Haakon deserves a lot of credit for seeing this in her from the start.

I agree with those who said Ragnhild probably shouldn't have shared her views publicly, but I can see her point. It must have been hard to watch her family and country headed down a road that seemed likely to end badly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 AM
DaughterofFrance's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 81
Does anyone know what kind of relationship Olav had with Martha and Haakon? I wonder if they had some resentment in their grandfather for not letting their father marry their mother for such a long time.
__________________

__________________
xeinacasaragi is a cunt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary current events danish royals diana duchess of cambridge fashion dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander olympics ottoman palace poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]