The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Gentry

I don't have any sympathy to MM, what princess Ragnild comment was right. MM have no word to argue, just keep the mouth close and time goes by.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisnu@Mar 29th, 2004 - 3:05 am
I don't have any sympathy to MM, what princess Ragnild comment was right. MM have no word to argue, just keep the mouth close and time goes by.
Uh..., old topic and I doubt that she would argue. No matter what her aunt-in-law says or anyone for that matter doesn't cause her to stop being the CP of Norway. If she's smart she brushes it off, which I am sure that she most likely does and lives her life. She should let her actions be her reply.

After all, she is the Crown Princess of Norway and I have a feeling that she will most likely be for a long time.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria+Feb 22nd, 2004 - 6:14 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Feb 22nd, 2004 - 6:14 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gabriella@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 5:55 pm
I think that to have class and elegance is not always in the way that you dress and how well you can smooze, but really in your actions. For this, I think that MM has alot of class and elegance. I have not always been her biggest fan, but in the past year or so, she has really impressed me. It certainly cannot be easy to live your whole life anonymously, then all the sudden be shoved in a fishbowl. Having your every move scrutinized and your past come back to haunt you, how can that be easy? I think that MM must have had the hardest time adjusting out of all of the recent Crown Princesses and Princess' to be. She won some major points with me by subjecting herself to a firing squad and admitting to her past behavior. ... To go through all of that, and still be standing, is a huge sign of character. I also think that she is a wonderful mother. She is obviously very protective of Marius, and seems to be very active in his life, instead of just handing him off to a nanny. I really think that she has handled herself well, and has become well-adjusted in her new life.
Very nicely said, Gabriella. And you hit on (for me) a very important point, that unlike some of the other princesses and crown princesses, Mette-Marit was not exactly successful in her own right before marrying Haakon. Unlike Letizia, Maxima and Alexandra (Manley) who had university degrees and successful careers before meeting their respective princes, Mette-Marit had for the most part fluttered about with various jobs and a university program that she never completed.

And she did face a lot of harsh personal criticism for her past, such as the out of wedlock child, the partying, the drugs, the lack of education, etc. (Maxima faced some of this critcism, too, though it was not lobbied at her directly but because of her father's affiliations.And to be able to rise above all that harsh criticism with all these people watching your every move and wanting you to fail, would feel like being defeated before the race had even begun.)
It does take a lot of personal courage and shows a tremendous sense of character to be able to rise about all that and go about your daily job -- while at the same time taking care of your young son. I, too, have always liked that Mette-Marit seems very active in Marius' life from taking him to school on his first day or playing soccer in the park with him -- I am looking forward to seeing similar pictures of Mette-Marit with Ingrid Alexandra. [/quote] And lets not forget that the other ladies came form well to do families who could help them out with education etc. It's hard for a single mother to continue an education, work & raise a child with no help. I think that just makes her a stronger more independent person.

It's easy to have a great education & career when you have money & connections. That's not to say the other ladies did not work hard, I'm sure they did but nothing compares to being a single mother & having to put food on the table. :flower:
"Many of us experience daily life becoming ever more hectic. This may be a good reason to stop a bit - and think about if what one spends time on is in fact how one really wants to spend it," Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel S.@Apr 6th, 2004 - 4:41 pm

It&#39;s easy to have a great education & career when you have money & connections. That&#39;s not to say the other ladies did not work hard, I&#39;m sure they did but nothing compares to being a single mother & having to put food on the table. :flower:
Very true, Angel S. Knowing a few single mothers myself, I can say that they all have stories tell, and hardly any are pleasant when it comes to describing their daily routines and worries.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Is there still much media attention to Raghnild&#39;s comments???
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Apr 6th, 2004 - 1:56 pm
Virtually nothing. Of course, since the royal family&#39;s out of the country, there&#39;s not much royal news at all this week. But there hasn&#39;t been much at all in March, nor in April.

It was over as soon as the media got something else (*cough*Sven Høiby*cough*) to think about.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by norwegianne+Apr 6th, 2004 - 2:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Apr 6th, 2004 - 2:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-royal_sophietje@Apr 6th, 2004 - 1:56 pm
It was over as soon as the media got something else (*cough*Sven Høiby*cough*) to think about. [/b][/quote]
were there any comments about him or about his attendance to ingrid&#39;s christening?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Relationships between princess Ragnhild, Märtha-Louise and Haakon-Magnus

Hello! I've read from Wikipedia (Princess Ragnhild of Norwey) that Ragnhild critizied Märtha-Louise and Haakon Magnus for the cummoner spouses and she hoped that she die before Mette-Marit become queen... (It was said in TV2 in 2004). But she is also married with commoner and I can't understand why she is so cruel? Does anyone have the opinion about that or any kind of information?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Majesty

Hello everyone,

Several posts from a previous discussion on this subject have been moved from Princess Ragnhild current events thread.

Although the previous discussion may have veered in various directions, let's try to keep this discussion on track.

Please be respectful towards Princess Ragnhild even if you don't like her.

TRF Rules & FAQs
*review before posting*
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy posting!

Norwegian Forum Moderators
Mandy, norwegianne, azile
Old 06-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnessa View Post
Hello! I've read from Wikipedia (Princess Ragnhild of Norwey) that Ragnhild critizied Märtha-Louise and Haakon Magnus for the cummoner spouses and she hoped that she die before Mette-Marit become queen... (It was said in TV2 in 2004). But she is also married with commoner and I can't understand why she is so cruel? Does anyone have the opinion about that or any kind of information?
As I've said in earlier posts - it's not the fact that they are commoners, but rather the reputations they had when they married into the family, that seems to have made Princess Ragnhild bitter at the time. For someone whose grandfather (King Haakon) was concerned when his granddaughters went to parties - because it might give the impression that they were party princesses like Margaret of Great Britain - having two people who definitely were "party people" in the royal family must have hurt because of the memories connected to this. Also, an unwed mother might not be shocking to a young generation, but to the grandparents generation… it is viewed differently.

I say that it isn't the commoner aspect, because all three of King Olav's children married commoners, and Ragnhild has never seemed to have a problem with her sister-in-law or brother-in-law. Furthermore, her children have also married commoners, and she doesn't seem to have a problem with them either.

I'm inclined to say it is a difference in what generations view as acceptable/laudable behaviour. (And still, two years after the affair, I still think she might be right about Ari, but then again he seem to make Märtha Louise happy...)

The problem with the whole thing is that this is something that should never have been said in the press, imo.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

All I can say is this - You can't help who you love. Princess Ragnhild, who also married a commoner, should not judge. I am sure that her husbands closet was not entirely free of skeletons, however small. Although I agree with Norwegianne, I don't think that it is about commoners or not, but that might very well exacerbate the situation. For that matter, I don't think anyone has the right to pass judgement on who other people love.

And yet again, airing dirty laundry in public. I fail to understand why people feel the need to do this.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Nobility

It is hard, when you have suffered from strict rules, to find that the next generation is allowed so much more freedom. (I remember being very upset with my parents when my four years younger sister was allowed to do things at 12 that I was only just being allowed to do at 16 - it still rankles all these years later). But I do think it was unwise of Princess Ragnhild to let her hurt at what she must have felt as a snub by the Norwegian RF on their Brazil trip take the form of publicly attacking Haakon and Martha-Louise.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for all articles and thoughts about that theme, it's very interesting to read it. I think that nobody shouldn't say such things in public because this behave doesn't make nothing good. And when this generation of monarchy is having more freedom it's interesting to know what the next generation will be - the world and monarchy is changing and it's natural.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Serene Highness

I dont think she has any room to talk, didnt her husband have an affair , and a child out of wedlock ??? so how can she have a go at MM for being a single mother !!! for goodness sake , as they say " people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" we arent living in the dark ages now. thank goodness times have changed and everyone has to change with it ,weather we want to or not !
Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
I dont think she has any room to talk, didnt her husband have an affair , and a child out of wedlock ??? so how can she have a go at MM for being a single mother !!! for goodness sake , as they say " people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" we arent living in the dark ages now. thank goodness times have changed and everyone has to change with it ,weather we want to or not !
DNA tests proved that the child was not Erling Lorentzen's, if I recall correctly.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
DNA tests proved that the child was not Erling Lorentzen's, if I recall correctly.
Im sure it proved that it was , thats why she stayed away at the kings birthday . ( i could be wrong ) but the point is he allegedly did have an affair , and did the king go to the press saying anything about her husband extra marital affair ...no! so I think she should just get on with her life and keep quite because no one is perfect .
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

after reading her comments it strikes me even being born royal doesn't give you class or decorum. she tried to demean her family, but demeaned herself. she does sound bitter and hateful about people she doesn't even know (if she's met them at all) picking on marius really makes me mad, he's a cool, very respectful and much loved child (imo by everyone in the royal family) who didn't need to be thrown under the bus (texas expression) to make her spiteful points.
in the class sweepstakes: commoner-1000 princess ragnhild- 0
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
Im sure it proved that it was , thats why she stayed away at the kings birthday . ( i could be wrong ) but the point is he allegedly did have an affair , and did the king go to the press saying anything about her husband extra ...no! so I think she should just get on with her life and keep quite because no one is perfect .
It was proven that he wasn't the father - http://www.kjendis.no/2007/05/16/500787.html But during the King's birthday, there still was a trial going on, and the case was around in the media. I suppose it was easier for both Harald and Princess Ragnhild if they stayed away.

Given that she can't control what her husband does - or did 20 years ago - it seems rather pointless to blame her for this.

I can very well understand her critique - imho, the problem is that she talked to the media about it.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
It was proven that he wasn't the father - Erling er ikke faren - kjendis.no But during the King's birthday, there still was a trial going on, and the case was around in the media. I suppose it was easier for both Harald and Princess Ragnhild if they stayed away.

Given that she can't control what her husband does - or did 20 years ago - it seems rather pointless to blame her for this.

I can very well understand her critique - imho, the problem is that she talked to the media about it.
I stand corrected wasnt to sure, .... yes you are right we cant blame her for what her husband does, but on the other hand then , she cant say things about the partners of her newphews and niece. ...... or as you said she can if she doesnt talk to the media !
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Commoner

Relationship between Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Queen Sonja

What do you think that. I have heard that the queen dislike CP MM ,of course they will not show in the publish.