The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Thank you Alexandria. :)

Quote:
I can't imagine very sour feelings on either side. As King Harald says most families have troubles from time to time... the difference here is that the press is standing around waiting to pick up on those problems.
That is certainly a wonderful way for him to take it. He seems like a very classy gentleman. However, I still have to say that Her Royal Highness really didn't need to help the press out in this case. But, it seems to be over and all involved are moving on and that's what's best.

Quote:
PD: Are here many MM fans? Maybe I should stop being so hard with my opinions..
Carlota, I'm not particularly a MM fan. I am not opposed to her either. I have my favorites and she is not someone who I follow in particular regularly. However, when I do see any news about her, I do like to read it because there are certain things about her that interest me.

I really don't care about how hard your opinions are of MM. You can say whatever you like, it's your opinion. I disagree with you completely, and will continue do so because I don't find your statements to be objective and I do find them to be contradictory.

As for the incident you referred to about Queen Elizabeth, I have never heard about it (so I have doubts) nonetheless I really don't care. I still don't find the young woman to be pretentious. I feel that you simply don't like MM for whatever reason(s) and you find that anyone or everyone is better than she, even a woman who you yourself find to be a bit pretentious, yet elegant. Pretentious elegance, now there's an oxymoron. I don't quite understand that as any sort of pretense is never really a positive thing, IMO.

To each his own.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 6:35 am
" .. Do you remember when MM went to a visit to London (or the Queen went to Norway, I don't remember)? She tried to act in a very 'pretentious' way, receiving Queen Elizabeth in a way nobody would. It seemed that she had learnt a book on protocol by heart and just did it. Elegance is not like that. If you are a good princess, you should know how to do things and how to addapt you to new situations .. ".

PD: Are here many MM fans? Maybe I should stop being so hard with my opinions..
You're right. Maybe you should. I'm sure MM has lots of "followers" on this board, and I am one of those followers, make no mistake. What are you talking about when you refer to MM bowing to Queen Elizabeth in a pretentious manner? Will you please describe the incident where she lacked elegance?

Since the first time MM "came on board" with the Norway royals, she has looked to her husband and his family for guidance, probably in each step she has taken. The same is true with Maxima and some others. CP Mette-Marit is NOT a "BAD PRINCESS".

YOU offered your opinion of " .. being too hard .. " (paraphrasing) about your opinions of MM. Since you brought this up FIRST, you've given me the right to address your comments. I have many but this is the most important ~ Tread lightly, my dear.

Elizajane

Old 02-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 5:35 am
do you remember when MM went to a visit to London (or the Queen went to Norway, I don't remember)? She tried to act in a very 'pretentious' way, receiving Queen Elizabeth in a way nobody would. It seemed that she had learnt a book on protocol by heart and just did it. Elegance is not like that. If you are a good princess, you should know how to do things and how to addapt you to new situations. I don't know too much about high protocol, but I think it was totally out what she did. Also the British royals were surprised because of that 'strange' receiving...
I have followed Mette-Marit from the very beginning of her relationship with Haakon, when she was referred to as the Crown Prince's single-mother, drug-taking, party girl girlfriend. And I do not remember the mistake in protocol or unsurping of protocol that took place when Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip made a state visit to Norway in May 2001 -- the only state visit by the Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip since Mette-Marit has been part of the Norwegian royal family.

In fact the opposite was said about Mette-Marit's "behaviour" -- that when she greeted the Queen her curtsy was so low (as the lower you can go the more respect it shows or impressive it is) that other princesses were to take note. This was not only commented in Norwegian publications, but also British publications, both of whom had been hard on Mette-Marit's entrance into the royal family.

I could not find a picture of the curtsy, but here is the occasion I am referring to:

Queen Elizabeth II greets Mette-Marit, 31 May 2001 in Oslo, Norway

Also, if you are going to say that Letizia acted perfectly as a future Crown Princess, you might want to read some articles about the day of the official engagement announcement in which she interrupted Felipe and told him -- before his and her family and the press -- to let her finish. I am not attacking Letizia about this incident, but it has been a sore spot about her mentioned in the press on many occasions, and since someone here is saying that she acted perfectly, I think that incident needed to be pointed out.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/i...p?showtopic=526 Josefine posted a picture of the curtsying...
Old 02-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

OK. Maybe I should have given up this kind of comments if I knew you were going to take them so passionally. It is true that I did think that MM wasn't the right option to the norwegian trone, but that's not a thing to say that I'm not objective. In fact, if we start saying that I am not, you aren't either, as you like her very much.
Alexandria, that was the day I refered to. You said that other princesses wouldn't have done that and they "had to take note". If they don't do it (and they have been living in a palace all their lives), why should MM do it? Is she an eminence in protocol? (That was what I said about 'being pretentious'... it seems that she had read all the book and she is just trying to imitate, but without any naturality).
Talking about Letizia, I had read that about the engagement announce. The only difference was that Letizia's engagement with Felipe was two days after this public appearence. I don't know if MM had time to learn about protocol before his engagement anounce, but it is true that Letizia didn't have time. That was why I said the first public appearance, but I didn't take into account that previous appearence. It's normal that that happened, and if it had happened with MM I would do the same thing. In fact, I didn't talk about her engagement announce because I hadn't seen it and I have no objective evidence on it.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 3:36 pm
OK. Maybe I should have given up this kind of comments if I knew you were going to take them so passionally. It is true that I did think that MM wasn't the right option to the norwegian trone, but that's not a thing to say that I'm not objective. In fact, if we start saying that I am not, you aren't either, as you like her very much.
Alexandria, that was the day I refered to. You said that other princesses wouldn't have done that and they "had to take note". If they don't do it (and they have been living in a palace all their lives), why should MM do it? Is she an eminence in protocol? (That was what I said about 'being pretentious'... it seems that she had read all the book and she is just trying to imitate, but without any naturality).
Talking about Letizia, I had read that about the engagement announce. The only difference was that Letizia's engagement with Felipe was two days after this public appearence. I don't know if MM had time to learn about protocol before his engagement , but I didn't take into account that previous aanounce, but it is true that Letizia didn't have time. That was why I said the first public appearanceppearence. It's normal that that happened, and if it had happened with MM I would do the same thing. In fact, I didn't talk about her engagement announce because I hadn't seen it and I have no objective evidence on it.
I never claimed to be impartial about Mette-Marit. I do like her very much, and I fully admit to that.

And what I meant by the various Norwegian and British publications saying that "other princesses should take note" of Mette-Marit's curtsy to Queen Elizabeth II was not that no other princesses would have done it or been required to, but the way in which it was carried off by Mette-Marit. In these same articles, it was also noted that even women who are born into royal families do not curtsy as well (or as low) as Mette-Marit did on this occasion -- based on that belief that women who are born into royal families have been doing it much longer than Mette-Marit has.

And I don't think anybody is getting personal here, but if someone has brought up something and others disagree with it, as I do here, then I don't see a problem with it being commented on. Carlota, you do not like Mette-Marit while I do, and that is perfectly fine and we disagree and that is fine, too. Many of us have differing opinions here about all sorts of things and nobody takes it personally.

To quote Jacqueline, To each his own.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Courtier

I must say I was impressed with how Mette-Marit has attempted to blend the lessons she's needed to fulfil the role of Crown Princess with her own sensibilities. She, as well as every person marrying into a royal family, need to know the rules of that household. I think even a princess marrying into another family needs to learn the differences in rules that exist. Look at Queen Alexandra of Great Britian. She was a member of a royal family, but it acted extremely different then the family she married into. IMO, it's good that the future CPs/brides/grooms whomever learn the lessons.
And a good curtsy is a valuable thing to have, no matter who you are.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireweaver@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 10:23 pm
I must say I was impressed with how Mette-Marit has attempted to blend the lessons she's needed to fulfil the role of Crown Princess with her own sensibilities. She, as well as every person marrying into a royal family, need to know the rules of that household. I think even a princess marrying into another family needs to learn the differences in rules that exist. Look at Queen Alexandra of Great Britian. She was a member of a royal family, but it acted extremely different then the family she married into. IMO, it's good that the future CPs/brides/grooms whomever learn the lessons.
And a good curtsy is a valuable thing to have, no matter who you are.
I couldn't agree more Fireweaver. MM has done a wonderful job of adjusting. She lost her temper a few times with reporters, but I wasn't very surprised by that. I was impressed at how she overcame her fear of flying. That couldn't have been easy.

If she is reading any books about protocol, more power to her. It is refreshing to know that she is at least taking her role and future role seriously and not depending on others to walk her through everything every step of the way.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Considering how rudely they have treated her, I'd lose my temper with them as well. And considering she hasn't been a Crown Princess for very long, she's rather active in her royal duties. The fear of flying was an important thing to overcome. I don't think she would be as effective if she didn't overcome that due to the travel that a CPly couple must do (Not to mention as a King and Queen must do&#33.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I think, too, that when you get into anything new there is a big learning curve. In Mette-Marit's case, as is the case now with Mary and Letizia, and all the princesses before them, their learning curve is endured publicly and recorded for all to see.

And I can't say that in Mette-Marit's position I wouldn't lose my temper, either. I remember the incident when photographers tried to take Marius' picture while he was playing in the park with friends -- the poor little boy! And as for the tantrum aboard the plane, having the fear of flying as she did your nerves would probably be shot to h*** anyway, but throw in some prying photographers and journalists and I'd throw a big hissy fit, too!
Old 02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 10:35 pm
I think, too, that when you get into anything new there is a big learning curve. In Mette-Marit's case, as is the case now with Mary and Letizia, and all the princesses before them, their learning curve is endured publicly and recorded for all to see.

And I can't say that in Mette-Marit's position I wouldn't lose my temper, either. I remember the incident when photographers tried to take Marius' picture while he was playing in the park with friends -- the poor little boy! And as for the tantrum aboard the plane, having the fear of flying as she did your nerves would probably be shot to h*** anyway, but throw in some prying photographers and journalists and I'd throw a big hissy fit, too!
I agree Alexandria. Every single thing about them is constantly under a microscope.

I have to admit that MM may have behaved better than I would have as well. I really don't care for reporters or anyone who intrudes upon children and makes them feel uncomfortable. It's understandable that Marius will receive media attention because his mother is now CP of Norway, but he is an innocent and should be left alone as much as possible.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

I think that to have class and elegance is not always in the way that you dress and how well you can smooze, but really in your actions. For this, I think that MM has alot of class and elegance. I have not always been her biggest fan, but in the past year or so, she has really impressed me. It certainly cannot be easy to live your whole life anonymously, then all the sudden be shoved in a fishbowl. Having your every move scrutinized and your past come back to haunt you, how can that be easy? I think that MM must have had the hardest time adjusting out of all of the recent Crown Princesses and Princess' to be. She won some major points with me by subjecting herself to a firing squad and admitting to her past behavior. I really felt sorry for her in her first few months of marriage. She went through what, for me, would be some pretty embarrassing incidents. She got that horrible sunburn, got caught losing her temper, and hurt her leg/knee (something to that effect, I don't really remember exactly what happened). To go through all of that, and still be standing, is a huge sign of character. I also think that she is a wonderful mother. She is obviously very protective of Marius, and seems to be very active in his life, instead of just handing him off to a nanny. I really think that she has handled herself well, and has become well-adjusted in her new life.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriella@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 5:55 pm
I think that to have class and elegance is not always in the way that you dress and how well you can smooze, but really in your actions. For this, I think that MM has alot of class and elegance. I have not always been her biggest fan, but in the past year or so, she has really impressed me. It certainly cannot be easy to live your whole life anonymously, then all the sudden be shoved in a fishbowl. Having your every move scrutinized and your past come back to haunt you, how can that be easy? I think that MM must have had the hardest time adjusting out of all of the recent Crown Princesses and Princess' to be. She won some major points with me by subjecting herself to a firing squad and admitting to her past behavior. ... To go through all of that, and still be standing, is a huge sign of character. I also think that she is a wonderful mother. She is obviously very protective of Marius, and seems to be very active in his life, instead of just handing him off to a nanny. I really think that she has handled herself well, and has become well-adjusted in her new life.
Very nicely said, Gabriella. And you hit on (for me) a very important point, that unlike some of the other princesses and crown princesses, Mette-Marit was not exactly successful in her own right before marrying Haakon. Unlike Letizia, Maxima and Alexandra (Manley) who had university degrees and successful careers before meeting their respective princes, Mette-Marit had for the most part fluttered about with various jobs and a university program that she never completed.

And she did face a lot of harsh personal criticism for her past, such as the out of wedlock child, the partying, the drugs, the lack of education, etc. (Maxima faced some of this critcism, too, though it was not lobbied at her directly but because of her father's affiliations.)

And to be able to rise above all that harsh criticism with all these people watching your every move and wanting you to fail, would feel like being defeated before the race had even begun.

It does take a lot of personal courage and shows a tremendous sense of character to be able to rise about all that and go about your daily job -- while at the same time taking care of your young son. I, too, have always liked that Mette-Marit seems very active in Marius' life from taking him to school on his first day or playing soccer in the park with him -- I am looking forward to seeing similar pictures of Mette-Marit with Ingrid Alexandra.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Gabriella, I agree with you completely. That is exactly what MM has-character. It would have been so easy for her to give up with everything that went on around her and all of the doubts surrounding her ability. This is one of the reasons why I am very disappointed with Princess Ragnhild's statements, because she has been away from Norway for so long that it really doesn't seem that she could possibly know her niece or nephew that well let along their spouses. Granted both chose unconventional spouses, they do seem to be very much in love at this point.

I think that Princess Ragnhild is wrong about MM and the things that Gabriella have mentioned prove that. MM has taken everything said about her with a grain of salt and perservered. I have to admire that. She has a wonderfully quiet tenacity about her that is inspiring. She had everything against, and she is still there despite what anyone tries to do to make her lose face. Strenght of character will win every time.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

In my opinion, the worst part of Princess Ragnhilld's comments is her lack family loyalty. I believe that no matter how you may feel personally about something, you should NEVER publicize it. What a huge slap in the face! She is more than welcome to her opinion, and I'm sure that she is not the only royal in history to disapprove of another family member, but that is something that should never be discussed in public. Back to the issue of class, she has certainly shown her lack of it. If her statment's were meant to make people feel sympathetic towards her, I think she miserably failed. No matter how I might feel privately about certain family matters, there are just somethings that I would not discuss outside of it, even to my closest friends. Especially if I were in a position to have it heard by the general public.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriella@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 12:01 am
In my opinion, the worst part of Princess Ragnhilld's comments is her lack family loyalty. I believe that no matter how you may feel personally about something, you should NEVER publicize it. What a huge slap in the face! She is more than welcome to her opinion, and I'm sure that she is not the only royal in history to disapprove of another family member, but that is something that should never be discussed in public. Back to the issue of class, she has certainly shown her lack of it. If her statment's were meant to make people feel sympathetic towards her, I think she miserably failed. No matter how I might feel privately about certain family matters, there are just somethings that I would not discuss outside of it, even to my closest friends. Especially if I were in a position to have it heard by the general public.
Absolutely.

Family issues should remain within the family.

It is difficult enough being a public person having the the media constantly scrutinize you...then to have a family member aid them on is just far too much. Family members especially needn't give the media ammunition with which to work.

I understand her sentiment, and her bitterness as well, however, she would have been better off stating it to the individuals with whom she takes issue directly or writing them a letter if need be.

I certainly didn't feel sympathy for her. She may be a very mature woman and feels the need to say what she likes because theoretically no one can hurt her and she may also not care about what people think of her, but I was personally embarassed for her, moreso than for her brother, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Family isssues should stay within the family, there is no sense in dragging the dirty laundry out for everybody to see. Especially when the dirt is nothing but an elderly lady's opinions. (Opinions that a lot of elderly, and not so elderly people in Norway share, but still...)
Old 02-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Ladies,

Please allow me to make a comment about Princess Ragnhilld.

From what I read I saw a woman who might have some hard feelings about something from the past and like Sean put it, she's probably hurting about something that has nothing to with MM or her husband.

The things she said are hurtful and I commend her husband for trying to soften the blows. She's from a whole different era and things have changed since them. She apparently has not adapted to it very well.

Princess Ragnhilld hasn't murdered anyone, exposed horrible family secrets, or underminded the royal family to cause the entire monarchy to fall. The whole thing could probaly be solved if somebody in the family take time to talk to her, not the press corps or a representative for the family. It has to come from them to her. Somebody needs to talk to her and find out what's going with her. That's what families should do for each other regardless of anything that might have occurred. Maybe it's time for somebody to reach out and at least meet her halfway....would that be so bad?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by mgrant@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 4:05 pm
The whole thing could probaly be solved if somebody in the family take time to talk to her, not the press corps or a representative for the family. It has to come from them to her. Somebody needs to talk to her and find out what's going with her. That's what families should do for each other regardless of anything that might have occurred. Maybe it's time for somebody to reach out and at least meet her halfway....would that be so bad?
King Harald stated that he had talked to her recently, and she had given him a birthday present.

I also think a valid point to make is that the interview was taped at an unfortunate time, around the Brazil visit, which would also cause some bitterness. That the intent with the interview was intended to show more about their situation living in Brazil than her relationship with her brother's children's spouses... also is a factor.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by mgrant@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 9:05 pm

Princess Ragnhilld hasn't murdered anyone, exposed horrible family secrets, or underminded the royal family to cause the entire monarchy to fall. The whole thing could probaly be solved if somebody in the family take time to talk to her, not the press corps or a representative for the family. It has to come from them to her. Somebody needs to talk to her and find out what's going with her. That's what families should do for each other regardless of anything that might have occurred. Maybe it's time for somebody to reach out and at least meet her halfway....would that be so bad?
Actually, I believe that her King Harald did speak to her about it at least that was his response when asked about it. It was posted earlier in this thread. He is a class act and took it with the proverbial grain of salt. He simply said that all families have their problem, unfortunately sometimes theirs simply play out in the press (or something to that effect). Nonetheless, he seems to be over it. I am sure that isn't the firs time that his sister has been hard on his family. She most likely has been saying things for years. She is bitter, so I would believe that she had been making comments in public for quite some time.

I agree that she is of a different time, however, so is her brother and he made the necessary adjustments to his children's choices of spouses. It is simply just another case of the older generation criticizing the younger as usual.

No, she may not have said anything to cause the monarchy to fall, but regardless of her age, it was in extremely bad taste for her to do so. I would think better of a woman of her generation and upbringing. No one has to meet her halfway. If she wants to be respected and have her opinion valued, then she should probably not air family business in public. It is asking a lot of anyone to accept you and embrace you and your beliefs when you publicly berate them. It would be nice if people could be that accomodating, but really it is unrealistic.

She also chose to do it right after her nephew and the family were celebrating the birth of his first child along with the people of Norway. It was very crude of her to do that at a time like this. Age and upbringing can only be blamed for so much. She is old enough to know what self control is and what to say to the media. Yes, I see her being embraced and a regular at family gatherings quite soon.

No one owes her an apology for choosing to live their lives and loving whomever they choose. You may be able to choose who you marry, but you love who you love. The heart is a strange thing and apparently Haakon and ML chose to love Ari and MM. Then they chose to marry them and here we are...