Popularity of the Royal Family in Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
Young royals lose support

A new public opinion poll shows only around 25 percent of Norwegians think Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, are well-suited as the country's future king and queen. Nearly as many think they're not suited at all.

The poll, conducted by TNS Gallup for TV2, indicated that fully 21.4 percent of Norwegians think the couple are not well-suited to take over the monarchy.

Only a quarter of those questioned think the crown prince and his commoner wife are well-suited as king and queen. Half believe they'll do a fair job.

The numbers suggest the couple's popularity among Norwegians has fallen sharply since they married in August 2001. The match was controversial from the start, given Mette-Marit's own admission of a wild partying past and a son that resulted from a brief affair.

The public nonetheless seemed to ultimately go along with the marriage. A poll taken just before the wedding showing that 35.6 percent believed the couple would make a good king and queen.

That's now fallen to less than 22 percent, but some believe the decline in support is linked to the couple's absence from Norway during the past year. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit wanted to leave the country for a while, to live in London and attend some classes.

The new poll also suggests that the royal family's overall popularity remains fairly high. Only half of those asked said they supported a referendum on the future of the monarchy before 2014.

Aftenposten English Web Desk
Nina Berglund/NTB

I think that's not good. One factor behind it is that the couple are away from Norway because they are studying. It would have been better if they have pursued their studies in Norway because the country has good universities also..Because Norweigans can see the royal couple only rare in some events its like their popularity is decreasing and people look to another couple...Too bad!! :unsure: :rolleyes:

I used to think Crown Prince Haakon was very well suited to be King. Until he wed Mette-Marit. She is not
worthy of being a Crown Princess and Queen material. Queen Sonja was more better off than Mette.
I admit i was quite shocked when married a sinlgle woman with a child out of wedlock. What was he
thinking? A party girl for a future Queen of Norway? Think about it? That is why their popularity has dropped. But then i wish them both best of luck. :innocent:

Crown Princess wins confidence

Crown Princess Mette-Marit is gradually winning public trust after over three years of official duties.

A new survey by Opinion for Aftenposten reveals that 49 percent feel that the crown princess has carried out her duties better than they had expected. Thirty-four percent feel that she has performed about as expected and only one percent have been disappointed by the crown princess.

The poll shows that Mette-Marit has begun to win over women over 60, one of the most skeptical groups about having a single mother with a wild past become a crown princess.

Crown Prince Haakon has improved upon his already widespread popularity. The heir to the throne has a positive rating of 88 percent, with 45 percent feeling he does his job extremely well and 43 percent satisfied. Zero percent rated the crown prince's performance as very poor.

The crown couple are most popular with those who vote Labor, Center Party and Christian Democrat.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article939295.ece?rfid=rss1.0

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article939295.ece?rfid=rss1.0

Lyonnaise said:
A new survey by Opinion for Aftenposten reveals that 49 percent feel that the crown princess has carried out her duties better than they had expected. Thirty-four percent feel that she has performed about as expected
Finally !!
.... its only taken three years.

The poll shows that Mette-Marit has begun to win over women over 60, one of the most skeptical groups about having a single mother with a wild past become a crown princess.
A bunch of "poor me's" if you tell me ..... or would "stuffed shirts" be a more suitable term?

Crown Prince Haakon has improved upon his already widespread popularity. The heir to the throne has a positive rating of 88 percent, with 45 percent feeling he does his job extremely well and 43 percent satisfied. Zero percent rated the crown prince's performance as very poor.
I bet the 45 % are all the single-mom's (and the 43% are about to become single-mom's) !

The King's Heart

It is nearly impossible to be from Tuengen Allé, and be a person for all of Norway. Sonja has done it - finally.

JOHN OLAV EGELAND
Tuesday 26.04.2005, 05:40

SONJA HARALDSEN came into the Norwegian royal family with a shoehorn. To be fair, the distance from Vindern in Oslo to the Palace on Drammensveien is not long, neither geographically nor socially. Still, it was a challenging thought: the daughter of a man, who owned a clothing store in Storgata, as Norway's Crown Princess and Queen? Noses were wrinkled in mansions and farm houses. The Prime Minister then, Per Borten, asked Crown Prince Harald straight out what would happen if he didn't get approval to marry Sonja. Harald was very clear in his answer: He would stay unmarried.

THAT DECISION has been good. Not least is it visible in connection with the King's heart surgery and reconvalence. 68 year old Sonja is everywhere, and it changes emotionally between funerals (the Pope and the Prince of Monaco) and her daughter's birth of another granddaughter. Dozens of medal-recipients are greeted at the Palace, audiences are running smoothly, just interrupted with travels around in Norway. The Queen, who loves skiing, pushes her ironhealth and defies the doctor's "commands" to calm down. In the media the activity has created a new term. Now Turbo-Sonja travels across the country.

WE DON'T KNOW MUCH about who the Queen really is. The temper may flare, not least when children or family is attacked. Then she breathes life into the national symbol, but as a lioness. Sonja is concious about the formal, and keeps her distance when on official duties. During the Royal visit to South-Africa in 1998, this side became fairly obvious. The Royals were to visit the Truth commision, with Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and there was a restriction on photograhing in the small offices in Cape Town. The press asked nevertheless to be allowed to take pictures. Sonja froze, but the Archbishop didn't. He lifted his African bear paws joyfully and said: "Of course, it is a free country."

It is correctness most people connect with the image of the Queen. Always well-dressed and with a secure appearance, but always in a certain dimension one step behind the King. Sonja's role has been to expand the royal family's area of coverage, don't overshadow and don't get in the way of the more constitutional tasks. It was a bachelor's monarchy she entered, imprinted by military traditions, skiing and maybe a Teddy without filter in the sailboat. Sonja brought her interests and her knowledge on the cultural front with her. It has been a priority she has kept up, also when the art is anything but popular.

A SENSE OF DUTY has a fairly mixed status in the Norwegian society. It has, for Sonja, obviously been the main strategy, mixed with the long view and the consequences. Looked at in the context of what Royals nowadays manage to mix up when it comes to scandals, she has been pretty error-free. That, in no way, comes down to lack of activity or will. When President of the Storting, Jo Benkow, wanted to stop Sonja from accompanying the King to the Storting when he swore his oath to the constitution in 1991, she put her foot down. It was the first time in 69 years that there was a Queen present in the room, and since then she has been there when the Throne Speech is read. Her most important work has yet been the modernisation of the profile of the Royal house and the re-organization at the Palace that began after King Olav's death. Here we sense an iron will, which may have been necessary in the turbulence around the Royal House in the past few years.

THE PROBLEM IS that duty and obligation rarely is enough in a relationship based on love. And that is the kind of relationship the monarchy would prefer to have with its people. It was the general of Napoleon, the later king Karl Johan, who understood it. His motto was "The People's love, my reward." This relation isn't less important in our day and age, rather the opposite. Lacking all formal power, it is only the "People's love" that stands between the throne and the republic. Sonja has worked for that love. Seen from the outside it has been possible to catch a glimpse of her vulnerability of the skeptisism and lack of respect, especially the first years. Slowly, but certainly, it has loosened, and it is warmer around the Queen than ever before. While the King's heart is healing, she is by his side and, at the same time, running the business. Sonja's standing on her own two feet, but has also taken Tammy Wynette seriously, the country queen who have been immortalized with the song "Stand by your man"

- http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2005/04/26/429824.html

Last edited:
Thank you very much Norwegianne for the article and for the translation :) . Queen Sonja is definitely my favourite Queen . I'm totally impressed by her work as a Queen, being born as a commoner . She is a wonderful woman . Do the Norwegian people like her as much as the other members of the Royal family or are there still today mixed feelings about her ?

norwegianne said:
The King's Heart

It is nearly impossible to be from Tuengen Allé, and be a person for all of Norwya. Sonja has done it - finally.

JOHN OLAV EGELAND
Tuesday 26.04.2005, 05:40

Thanks for this article norwegianne -- it was quite informative. And it was, rightly so, very much a "ra ra" article about Sonja.

norwegianne said:
THAT DECISION has been good. Not least is it visible in connection with the King's heart surgery and reconvalence. 68 year old Sonja is everywhere, and it changes emotionally between funerals (the Pope and the Prince of Monaco) and her daughter's birth of another granddaughter. Dozens of medal-recipients are greeted at the Palace, audiences are running smoothly, just interrupted with travels around in Norway. The Queen, who loves skiing, pushes her ironhealth and defies the doctor's "commands" to calm down. In the media the activity has created a new term. Now Turbo-Sonja travels across the country.

As with last time when the King was recuperating from his cancer treatment and this time with his heart surgery, I have marvelled how Sonja has really risen to the occasion without much fanfare nor with much complaint from her about how tiring the schedule has been to do her own work as well as that of her husband's. She has, to coin a phrase or two, really rolled up her sleeves and is putting in a lot of elbow grease to get on with representing the Norwegian royal family at home and abroad.

norwegianne said:
WE DON'T KNOW MUCH about who the Queen really is. The temper may flare, not least when children or family is attacked. Then she breathes life into the national symbol, but as a lioness.

I am not in the least surprised to hear that Sonja is a fiercely protective lioness when it comes to her family. From the time of Haakon and Mette-Marit's engagement was announced right up to the days before their wedding, I read a lot about the challenges Sonja faced when she first joined the Norwegian royal family and the difficulties and challenges she faced. She said that she made sure that there was an office for a for a future Crown Princess ready as she had to wait several years before getting one, as well in Mette-Marit's own words, how kind and sympathetic Sonja was from the time she first met Sonja.

I just read an article in Svensk Damtiding issue no. 18. about the common born queens and princesses from Northern Europe. And I have to say I got a bit offended on behalf of CP Mette-Marit and Queen Sonja!

It says about CP M-M that she is quiet and withdrawn and very unsecure. And that she is lonely and clings to CP Haakon. In the early days as CP she might have been a bit unsecure about her role, but not anymore. She has done a tremendous job to learn and evolve into her role as a young and modern princess! She has, in my opinion, really blossomed that past few years.

She doesn't have a heavy academic background as the article points out, but she is still a smart and compassionate woman. And she has at least tried to studied some issues on an academic level. The article also says that she doesn't care about anything but her family. That isn't true either! She really cares about the issues that developement countries struggles with and especially the issues that women in these countries deal with. These are issues she has worked a lot on with amongst other NORAD. She also care about the people who fall outside the society in Norway today (mentally ill, poor, drug addicts etc) and she is a really good promotor of Norwegian design. I think she has and still does a tremendous job representing Norway (in spite of her toublesome father). And since Norwegians are a humble people we don't demand unreasonable preformances of other people, including our royals.

Also Queen Sonja gets a beating in this article, saying that Norwegians doesn't like her much. Not true either! Yes, the CP couple are more popular in polls, but that is probably due to the fact that they are young and are a role model for young people today (and youth has always been idolised!). I think the queen has done a really good job as well! She became CP after a long and winded journey. She had no female role models to seek advice and support from (CP Märtha died in 1953 and Queen Maud in 1938). So she basically had to shape and define her role by herself in a male dominated and somewhat oldfashioned and rigid system, for which she deserves all the credit she can get!!

The other princesses and queen are, if I interpret the article correctly, flawless. Something I find strange, because nobody are perfect! It's true that the other European CPs have an academic background, but that doesn't necessary mean that they are better princesses! And since this is a Swedish magazine, their own queen gets top marks (which I can understand since they have a "personal" image of her), but she can't perfect either?!? Perhaps I should send this post to Svensk Damtiding too!

All of the things I've commented on here are my personal opinion.

KikkiB said:
I just read an article in Svensk Damtiding issue no. 18. about the common born queens and princesses from Northern Europe. And I have to say I got a bit offended on behalf of CP Mette-Marit and Queen Sonja!

It says about CP M-M that she is quiet and withdrawn and very unsecure. And that she is lonely and clings to CP Haakon. In the early days as CP she might have been a bit unsecure about her role, but not anymore. She has done a tremendous job to learn and evolve into her role as a young and modern princess! She has, in my opinion, really blossomed that past few years.

She doesn't have a heavy academic background as the article points out, but she is still a smart and compassionate woman. And she has at least tried to studied some issues on an academic level. The article also says that she doesn't care about anything but her family. That isn't true either! She really cares about the issues that developement countries struggles with and especially the issues that women in these countries deal with. These are issues she has worked a lot on with amongst other NORAD. She also care about the people who fall outside the society in Norway today (mentally ill, poor, drug addicts etc) and she is a really good promotor of Norwegian design. I think she has and still does a tremendous job representing Norway (in spite of her toublesome father). And since Norwegians are a humble people we don't demand unreasonable preformances of other people, including our royals.

Also Queen Sonja gets a beating in this article, saying that Norwegians doesn't like her much. Not true either! Yes, the CP couple are more popular in polls, but that is probably due to the fact that they are young and are a role model for young people today (and youth has always been idolised!). I think the queen has done a really good job as well! She became CP after a long and winded journey. She had no female role models to seek advice and support from (CP Märtha died in 1953 and Queen Maud in 1938). So she basically had to shape and define her role by herself in a male dominated and somewhat oldfashioned and rigid system, for which she deserves all the credit she can get!!

The other princesses and queen are, if I interpret the article correctly, flawless. Something I find strange, because nobody are perfect! It's true that the other European CPs have an academic background, but that doesn't necessary mean that they are better princesses! And since this is a Swedish magazine, their own queen gets top marks (which I can understand since they have a "personal" image of her), but she can't perfect either?!? Perhaps I should send this post to Svensk Damtiding too!

I agree with what you've said. I think Mette-Marit proved how caring and concerned about other people she is during her trip to Malawi. She seems like a wonderful mother, and she manages to combine that role and her role is crown princess beautifully.

I agree too....she is quite unique, and doesn't appear, at least to me, to have the aloofness that some of the other CP appear to have.

KikkiB said:

I totally agree with your personal opinion :) ! I think you are lucky to have such a wonderful Crown Princess (not to mention my favourite Queen, Queen Sonja) . I ,unlike these people who've written this article, believe that Mette-Marit is the only Crown Princess who has grown in this role so well . As you said, she had the less academic background of all, but she has managed to become a wonderful ambassador for Norway . She is nice, down-to-earth, elegant, she has today all the qualities of a great Crown Princess . And, indeed, the fact itself that she had such an atypic background and has managed to become a respectable and respected Princess shows that, on the contrary to what's mentioned in this article, Mette-Marit is the most wonderful Crown Princess of all (well, that's my opinion...) . She is the only one to have managed to achieve what everyone thought she would never achieve . That's so great !

Norwegian Se og Hør has the last weeks been hinting of trouble in Paradise for Märtha and Ari, around christmas they had the story of him not beeing there for the photosession (he was sick according to the palace), the next week that Ari was supposed to be seen flirting with another woman at a christmas party without his wife, and last week they had a story about all their friends breaking up and getting divorced and asking who is next??

This week however they have asked Ari Behns mother about the rumours (that they them selves has created IMO) she has sent them a text messages saying: "Ari is finnishing his novel and it takes all his time and he is beeing supported 100% by his wife"
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/kongelig/article536067.ece

Se og Hør has also had a poll on Märtha Louise mixing her roles:
32,3% of the Norwegians thinks its problematic that Märtha Louise uses her Princess title in her role as a business woman

The Royal Reporter in Se og Hør Kjell Arne Tottland says that Märtha Louise has in all years been one of the Royal Families most popular members and I think it is a pitty she is not taking part in it as much, instead she has chosen her own "career"

Totland does not find it strange that so many reacts negativly to the way Märtha mixes her rols as a Princess and as a business womn. The Royal Family always says no to writing autographs, but when it comes to Märthas books, she is happy to sign them and people stand several hour in line to get it

36.9% thinks Märtha should not have signed the protest letter against the building plans at the Island Hankø where they have their summerhouse (and similar things like that)

70% thinks she should keep her Princess title, 15.2% thinks she should give it up

My translation of this article
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/kjendis/article536085.ece

Hmm, thanks Larzen. 32% doesn't seem like a large percentage. It would be hard for her to go into the book market without giving appearances and book signings. You could argue that she shouldn't have gone into that market in the first place but if she had chosen another career people wouldn't see her much at all.

Also, like Martha Louise said on that radio interview she gave when she was on her book tour in the US, she doesn't have a last name so even if she just used "Martha Louise" or something similar, people would know she was royalty anyway.

if people are very irritated on how Martha Louise still used a "princess" title/surname, why couldn't she be Martha Louise Behn ?

purple_platinum said:
if people are very irritated on how Martha Louise still used a "princess" title/surname, why couldn't she be Martha Louise Behn ?

It looks like 70% want her to keep the title so that's not an issue. It's a little unclear from the numbers what problem Se og Hor actually thinks is so pressing.

it's jsut that the reason people keep bringing up why Martha Louise still be a "princess" is because she doesn't have a surname. if this so, what prevent her from using "Behn" as surname?

however, personally, i would still like her to be "Princess Martha Louise" and considered a full-princess.

Larzen said:
The Royal Reporter in Se og Hør Kjell Arne Tottland says that Märtha Louise has in all years been one of the Royal Families most popular members and I think it is a pitty she is not taking part in it as much, instead she has chosen her own "career"

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/kjendis/article536085.ece

Perhaps being a reporter, Tottland can't think past his nose. Märtha Louise has to earn to her own living whereas the other members of the Royal Family get a government allowance. She receives a "stipend" from the King when she performs royal duties other than that, she is on her own. Why should Märtha Louise give up a successful career to live on an allowance that would be dramatically less than what she is accustomed to.

I think that no matter what Märtha would have done, some would complain. If she had taken Ari's name, and stopped representing - people would find offense in that, if she took his name and still represented - people would be offended. There's simply no pleasing everybody.

Mandy said:
Perhaps being a reporter, Tottland can't think past his nose. Märtha Louise has to earn to her own living whereas the other members of the Royal Family get a government allowance. She receives a "stipend" from the King when she performs royal duties other than that, she is on her own. Why should Märtha Louise give up a successful career to live on an allowance that would be dramatically less than what she is accustomed to.

That's what I think. First they complain that the minor royals are sponging off the government without doing anything and then when the royals get careers of their own, they complain that the royals are using their connections and titles to further their careers. Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex faced the same criticism in the UK.

And who doesn't use their connections to further their career if they have the connections? Just because royals have better connections than the rest of us doesn't mean they shouldn't further their careers the way the rest of the world does. It's a lot better than sponging off the government for one or two events a years.

I could believe this shuffle http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/364865-post6.html was to reflect Märtha Louise's career plans if it had occurred before the survey "who is doing the best job" showing Märtha Louise and Mette-Marit at almost at the same percentage. But, I really feel it's an attempt to boost Mette-Mette's percentages as she's picking up six patronships from Märtha Louise.

So, with all the complaining about Märtha Louise not performing enough royal duties, how is she to do more if her patronages (from 17 to 6) are being taken away?!

Mandy said:
I could believe this shuffle http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/364865-post6.html was to reflect Märtha Louise's career plans if it had occurred before the survey "who is doing the best job" showing Märtha Louise and Mette-Marit at almost at the same percentage. But, I really feel it's an attempt to boost Mette-Mette's percentages as she's picking up six patronships from Märtha Louise.
No, only one of Mette-Marits patronages comes from Märtha Louise, one comes from the Queen and the rest are new, ie they did not have a royal patron before as far as I know. I dont think the royal family gives 5 cent about a poll in Se og Rør (The King said recently they dont navigate after polls), they already quit their patronages in June 05, and already back then it was anounced that there would be changes (especially that the King and Queen would quit some of theirs to follow the doctors advice to slow down)
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=105043
The King had 42, now he has 22, The Queen used to have 18 now she has 12

There is nothing that says that if Princess Märtha wants to do royal events, she can attend events not related to her patronages.

I keep seeing polls in the Norwegian press showing the royals are much less popular today than even five years ago. It always seems to coincide with Mette-Marit entering the family. Not so much because of her "past" but that she hasn't performed as "Crown Princess" as well as Maxima and Mary have. Both of them are popular beyond belief and have raised the popularity of their respective royal families. Letizia is doing a good job too though she is not as popular as Prince Felipe who himself is not as popular as King Juan Carlos. But they are popular.

So what's the problem with Mette-Marit? Why hasn't she connected with her Norwegian public? She certainly has a sweet personality and a strong character considering what she's gone through.

I thought she was popular, though...and even more now that she's added (Marius,) Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus to the family. And she seems like an excellent connection to the single mothers of Norway. She's down-to-earth and accessible too.

I think it's just the idea of the monarchy in general that's less popular these days. I don't think it's specifically Mette-Marit that's making the family less popular.

But isn't it the job of the crown princess to make the monarchy look more attractive, to help make it relevant to people's lives by working hard and making public appearance after public appearance? There are an endless amount of photos available of Letizia, Mary and Maxima doing tons of appearances, advocating for their causes and supporting their husbands. Even Duchess Camilla seems to make public appearances more often than Mette-Marit. She just seems comfortable behind palace walls but hasn't really earned her keep.

Laviollette said:
But isn't it the job of the crown princess to make the monarchy look more attractive, to help make it relevant to people's lives by working hard and making public appearance after public appearance? There are an endless amount of photos available of Letizia, Mary and Maxima doing tons of appearances, advocating for their causes and supporting their husbands. Even Duchess Camilla seems to make public appearances more often than Mette-Marit. She just seems comfortable behind palace walls but hasn't really earned her keep.
Mette-Marit made three trips abroad this year, including one on her own. She also went to Denmark recently a month and a half after giving birth. She went to Greece for Odysseas Kimon's christening, and to Britain for Charles and Camilla's wedding, along with the opening of the Queen Maud exhibition. She also had a difficulat pregnancy. This past year, for someone with two young children and a difficult pregnancy, I think she carried out an awful lot of engagments.

kwanfan said:
Mette-Marit made three trips abroad this year, including one on her own. She also went to Denmark recently a month and a half after giving birth. She went to Greece for Odysseas Kimon's christening, and to Britain for Charles and Camilla's wedding, along with the opening of the Queen Maud exhibition. She also had a difficulat pregnancy. This past year, for someone with two young children and a difficult pregnancy, I think she carried out an awful lot of engagments.

:confused: The same happened with Letizia and Mary and they still carry on with their public acts as nothing happened so, where does that leave Mette-Marit?:confused:

kwanfan said:
I think she does as good a job as she can do. I think the trip to Britain last year was fantastic but it doesn't change the perception that she hasn't brought a positive affect on the monarchy. I don't know why. I know the royal couple recently hired a new PR person. Maybe all that they do will be communicated better to the people of Norway, where it counts. Crown Prince Haakon gets high marks for his performance. Mette-Marit should share in that.

crisiñaki said:
:confused: The same happened with Letizia and Mary and they still carry on with their public acts as nothing happened so, where does that leave Mette-Marit?:confused:
Letizia and Mary don't have two young kids, and aside from the early contractions, Letizia and Mary seemed to have fairly easy pregnancies.

Back
Top Bottom