Oslo and Utøya Attacks & the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My condolences to Princess Mette Marit and her faimily, to the friends and families of the poor victims, and to our Norwegian posters.

it's such a horrible event, what kind of mad person could think of doing such a horrible act. it's obvious he has mental problems. my heart goes out to the families of the victims of what such a perturbed state of mind can do.

why are the journalist saying it was MM's half brother if they don't share either mother or father? did MM's mum marry the victim's dad after he had him?

it's such a horrible event, what kind of mad person could think of doing such a horrible act. it's obvious he has mental problems. my heart goes out to the families of the victims of what such a perturbed state of mind can do.

why are the journalist saying it was MM's half brother if they don't share either mother or father? did MM's mum marry the victim's dad after he had him?

MM`s mum married Trond Berntsen`s dad in 1994.

To the wonderful people of Norway, my condolences, my prayers, and my support to you all and your beautiful country. You will get through this in time. Time has a way of fading the pain in our hearts. Do not be afraid to grieve, to remember, to love, or to cry.

MM + Haakon during the rose march
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/25/article-2018368-0D29674E00000578-770_964x538.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/25/article-2018368-0D296B1900000578-384_964x667.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/25/article-2018368-0D297E0300000578-203_964x804.jpg
The King and Queen and Haakon
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/25/article-2018368-0D2867E900000578-407_964x701.jpg

I was devastated all night about this and then at around 2am I turned on the tv to our 24 hour news station and saw the memorials held in Canada and it made me feel a bit better. I wish there was one closer to where I live, I'd definitely go.

Last edited:
In such circumstances, I can see how a monarch (plus family) in his representative function, can bring some human warmth to a tragedy such as this one.

God bless Norway

It is amazing to see the Norwegian royal family's personal and warm commitment to the tragedy suffered by Norway so mercilessly. So human and present King, Queen, Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Princess Martha-Louise and her husband Ari Ben-been. They have certainly meant a lot to many and also served as a support for the political government. God bless Norway, its royal family and the Norwegian people.

God bless all those who died and God bless the Norwegian people giving it the courage and the strength to continue living in the path of peace, tolerance and democracy!

:easter:

I too send my thoughts and prayers to the people of Norway.

Buckingham Palace has released the Messge of Condolence that the Queen has sent to King Harald. I have reproduced it on the appropriate current affairs forum for the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh but am reproducing it here as well, so please forgive the duplication.

Alex

Issued by the Queen on 23 July 2011

I am deeply saddened and shocked by the tragic loss of life of so many people on the Island of Utøya and in Oslo. Prince Philip joins me in extending our heartfelt sympathy to Your Majesty and the people of Norway. Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the dreadful atrocity.

Elizabeth R

Last edited:
My heart goes out to Mette Marit and her family. What a tragedy. This appears to be Norway's Nine-Eleven as this has affected so many people, even people that didn't know any of the victims.

Of course this affects all of Norway and the entire world (whether we know any of the dad or not; there were victims created all over Norway on that day). The fact that Queen Elizabeth can send condolences on behalf of her nation to King Harald on behalf of his is wonderful and so human. OVer the years, monarchs can get to know each other and maintain relationships (however formal they may ultimately be) whereas all elected leaders simply come and go. Not the same.

What a touching picture ! The love is so visible between them !

Step-brother, not half-brother.

In some countries, the terms "in-law" and "step" are used differently. In the US, you use "step-sibling" for the child of a man or woman one of your own parents marries but with whom you have no blood ties.

Not that that should make any difference. The Crown Princess shared no blood ties with her step-brother -- they had no parents in common -- but in a country like Norway, with such a small population, everyone will know someone who was a victim.

My heart goes out to poor Mette Marit, it's such a terrible story. :sad: Her step brother acted like a real hero.
Let me add how impressed I am by the Norwegian royal family these days. No stiff upper lips, no big show - all I see is compassion and dignity. This is how a royal family should behave. Power to Norway, our thoughts are with you! :norwayflag:

Let me add how impressed I am by the Norwegian royal family these days. No stiff upper lips, no big show - all I see is compassion and dignity.

My thoughts exactly, Dierna. I don't want to see a calm lack of emotion from royals in this situation, nor do I want them putting on an insincere show of grief and sobbing all over themselves. The NRF has done neither and has managed the perfect balance of royal dignity, in their quiet presence at all these memorials, and personal warmth, in their embraces of the victims' families and their simple, understated tears.

I feel that they have done an excellent job serving as a (very dignified) symbol of the nation's grief. The video of the King and Queen openly weeping in the Cathedral was the most striking image of the whole tragedy for me.

So sad and tragic it is. Norway is such a Peaceful Country. I pray for the victims of these tragedies, and that they may grant justice.

Mette-Marit's stepbrother among killed - News Summary ROYALBLOG.NL

Courtesy hja

BBC News - Norway attacks: Mass rallies remember Breivik victims

The speech by HRH Crown Prince Haakon was absolutely moving;

" Tonight the streets are filled with love.We've choosen to react to cruelty with togetherness,to hate with unity,and we show what we stand for".

" Norway is a country in mourning,we are all touched as victims.We must fight every day for our open and free society and all that is so precious to us."

And to the youth of Norway he said;" It is you that will shape and destine the future of Norway,you are our courage and our hope.We can not miss any of you.We miss too many already".

Sweden's royal family has been 'commented on and participated

HM King Carl-Gustav comments on events in Norway on Saturday, July 23.

"The Queen and I have learned with dismay and disgust aware of events in Oslo and its surroundings. I have made contact with King Harald and Queen and I have expressed our painful sympathy to all victims and their families and friends.

I do not find words to describe how we feel in this heavy moment.
In times of such severe events, we must support each other. "

Sunday, July 24 represented Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel the Royal family at a memorial service where the victims of the tragic events in Norway was honored. Memorial service took place in the Church of Norway (Kronprinsesse Martha's Church) in Stockholm.

My prayers and my heartfelt sorrow for the people of Norway and for Princess Mette Marit, for her sorrow.

The speech by HRH Crown Prince Haakon was absolutely moving;

" Tonight the streets are filled with love.We've choosen to react to cruelty with togetherness,to hate with unity,and we show what we stand for".

" Norway is a country in mourning,we are all touched as victims.We must fight every day for our open and free society and all that is so precious to us."

And to the youth of Norway he said;" It is you that will shape and destine the future of Norway,you are our courage and our hope.We can not miss any of you.We miss too many already".

Well said. I really admire CP Haakon's loving concern for others...how touching... :blush:

Royal family, politicians and the Oslo major holding roses above their heads Hundreds of thousands of people gather at a memorial vigil following Friday's twin extremist attacks. Anders Behring Breivik, 32, appeared in court today following a bomb blast at a government building in Oslo and a shooting massacre on nearby Utoya Island that killed at least 76 people in all. The death toll was originally reported as 93. Oslo, Norway - 25.07.11

WENN Photo Library

Had this been in the USA and Hollywood had done a movie about this Mette-Marits stepbrother would have been portrayed as the lone man standing up against the terrorist and saving himself to let others escape in a dramatic scene.

But now its Norway so we are spared the image of such a movie

Back
Top Bottom