Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stil og stemning ved Stortingets ňpning | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland

Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

from the NRF-website http://www.royalcourt.no/nyhet.html?...2754&sek=27262

King Harald's speech Hans Majestet Kongens tale til det 159. Storting ved dets ňpning - regjeringen.no
Google Translation

Old 10-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Great pictures. Kjell Arne Totland wrote:

The opening of the National Assembly is a solemn occasion in all democratic countries. However, the shape varies greatly from nation to nation. Also in Europe's constitutional monarchies. In Denmark and Sweden the monarch and the rest of the royal family have a place at the opening, but only as spectators - and in everyday attire. [Not true, the King of Sweden speaks some words. / DeP]

In the United Kingdom and in the Netherlands carriages, grand attire and full ceremonial is used. The monarch stands central in the ceremony, addressing from the throne. Also in Norway the King addresses from the throne and undertakes the formal opening of Parliament from his throne under the painting depicting the Assembly at Eidsvoll.

The autumn opening of Parliament is always a beautiful and dignified ceremony, with both the King and the Crown Prince dressed in Army parade uniform with Norwegian Orders and decorations. Today, rare and for once, both wore the golden coller of St Olav and the sapphire-coloured riband of the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit.

According tradition also Queen Sonja was seated on the dais, elegant as always. Apart from some exceptions, Queen Sonja prefers black and red attires, which fits perfectly with the colours of the beautiful interior of the Storting as well the King's uniform. This year Queen Sonja wore an exquisite outfit from Peter Dundas (House of Pucci): a collarless, pheasant-red (?) peplum-cut jacket and a slim black pencil skirt. A black hat with broken trim matched the outfit.

Queen Sonja wore large modern jewelry in oxidized silver made by the Norwegian jewelry-artist Gine Sommerfeldt. Usually outdoors -and in the car to and from Parliament- Queen Sonja wore a crimson cape with black fox collar made by the the Norwegian Arnt ěystein Solvang. In Thursday's warm autumn weather however, our clothes-conscious Queen chose to throw a small cape in black cashmere over the shoulders.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

video from the Opening 2014 NRK TV - Det 159. Stortings h°ytidelige ňpning - 02.10.2014
Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Opening of the Parliament 2015

Quote:
02.10.2015 Formal opening of the Storting
His Majesty The King will undertake the formal opening of the 160th session of the Storting. Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will also be in attendance (13:00).
The Royal House of Norway - Official engagements
Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

This program will be available later today, hope it works outside Norway.

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/nyheter/NNFA41023615/02-10-2015

Kongen hoppet over en del av trontalen - NRK Norge - Oversikt over nyheter fra ulike deler av landet
Quote:
The King skipped parts of the Speech.

Translated by me.

King Harald did not read the whole text, when he held the government's speech from the throne in the Parliament Friday.

It was NTB who first noticed that the king did not read everything.

The speech began with the refugee crisis and Norway's efforts both in the countries affected and at home.

He did the same in 2007.
I am in Norway now and I saw it on TV from the office.

The King is getting a bit frail, he has back and knee problems, and he has trouble walking. I've seen him several times and both I and others have noticed that he is breathing very heavily, especially after going up stairs.

I look forward to January 17, 2016, when he celebrates 25 years on the throne. And till 2017, when he and Queen Sonja celebrates their 80th birthdays. And till 2018 when they celebrate their golden wedding anniversary.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Great pictures. Kjell Arne Totland wrote:

The opening of the National Assembly is a solemn occasion in all democratic countries. However, the shape varies greatly from nation to nation. Also in Europe's constitutional monarchies. In Denmark and Sweden the monarch and the rest of the royal family have a place at the opening, but only as spectators - and in everyday attire. [Not true, the King of Sweden speaks some words. / DeP]

In the United Kingdom and in the Netherlands carriages, grand attire and full ceremonial is used. The monarch stands central in the ceremony, addressing from the throne. Also in Norway the King addresses from the throne and undertakes the formal opening of Parliament from his throne under the painting depicting the Assembly at Eidsvoll.

The autumn opening of Parliament is always a beautiful and dignified ceremony, with both the King and the Crown Prince dressed in Army parade uniform with Norwegian Orders and decorations. Today, rare and for once, both wore the golden coller of St Olav and the sapphire-coloured riband of the Royal Norwegian Order of Merit.

According tradition also Queen Sonja was seated on the dais, elegant as always. Apart from some exceptions, Queen Sonja prefers black and red attires, which fits perfectly with the colours of the beautiful interior of the Storting as well the King's uniform. This year Queen Sonja wore an exquisite outfit from Peter Dundas (House of Pucci): a collarless, pheasant-red (?) peplum-cut jacket and a slim black pencil skirt. A black hat with broken trim matched the outfit.

Queen Sonja wore large modern jewelry in oxidized silver made by the Norwegian jewelry-artist Gine Sommerfeldt. Usually outdoors -and in the car to and from Parliament- Queen Sonja wore a crimson cape with black fox collar made by the the Norwegian Arnt ěystein Solvang. In Thursday's warm autumn weather however, our clothes-conscious Queen chose to throw a small cape in black cashmere over the shoulders.

The King of Sweden no longer speaks from the throne or wears orders (as it used to be the case until 1974) to signify the constitutional change in effect since 1975 according to which the monarch is no longer part of the government. Accordingly, he doesn't read a government program as the British monarch does. Instead, he speaks freely on major issues of the day (this year, the main theme was the European refugee crisis) and, in many ways, is far more influential than other monarchs who only serve as a spokesperson for the government.

If I understand it correctly, after the King of Sweden officially declares the parliamentary session open, then the prime minister addresses the chamber to present the government's legislative program.

Also, although the Swedish royal family now wears normal attire in the opening of parliament, they arrive by carriage. It is still a little bit more formal than in Denmark then.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

From the NRF website
kongehuset.no - Opna det 160. stortinget

another pic
http://80.91.34.200/previews/ta/9/df/w_nor_ta9df01c.jpg
Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Looks like the king skipped a whole page of the speech
Kongen hoppet over en del av trontalen - Kongehuset - VG
Old 10-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Yes, I posted it above.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, I posted it above.
opps sorry. I saw a link on twitter
Im thinking maybe the pages got stuck together or something
Old 10-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post

I don't think anyone would call for King Harald to abdicate over that mistake though , or would they ?
Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think anyone would call for King Harald to abdicate over that mistake though , or would they ?
No, of course not. As I said in my previous post above ''he's a bit frail now'', but he did the same in 2007 and the media / people here is just laughing of it.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Nobility

HI, HERE ALL THE CEREMONY
https://www.stortinget.no/no/Hva-skj...2734&meid=9685
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

kongehuset.no - Opna det 160. stortinget
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Wonderful ceremony, I LOVED the open top 1960's American style car the King & Queen arrived in! how funky
Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wonderful ceremony, I LOVED the open top 1960's American style car the King & Queen arrived in! how funky
This car is from 1966, when it was bought by King Olav. It was used for Harald and Sonja's wedding in 1968, but it was sold to many peoples disappointments in 1992. It was loaned back to Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding in 2001, and bought back by the palace in 2002.

http://ap.mnocdn.no/incoming/article...d=021020151341
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Is it just my impression or are the British, Swedish and Dutch royal families the only European royal families that still (occasionally) use horsedrawn carriages ? Belgium, Norway and Spain seem to have fully switched to motorized transport only, which is a shame really. I don't know about Denmark though.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is it just my impression or are the British, Swedish and Dutch royal families the only European royal families that still (occasionally) use horsedrawn carriages ? Belgium, Norway and Spain seem to have fully switched to motorized transport only, which is a shame really. I don't know about Denmark though.
Denmark also used horsdrawn carriages for special occasions. And every year the Queen and Prince Consort make a tour in the Golden Coach from Amalienborg to Chriasnborg for one of the New Years Courts.
In Spain carriages are used when new ambassadors come to the Royal Palace in madrid to present their credentials to the King.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Opening of the Storting 2016

The Storting will be opened on next Monday, October 3.
Quote:
03.10.2016 Opening of the Storting
His Majesty The King will undertake the formal opening of the 161h session of the Storting. Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will also be in attendance (13:00).

Tags
crown prince haakon, haakon, haakon magnus, harald v, king harald, queen sonja, sonja, stortinget