Originally Posted by Muhler
Thanks Fairy Tale
Okay, what are we looking at?
What's the protocol?
What's the ceremony?
What's the role of the NRF?
The opening of the new session of Stortinget, this year the first efter the election, which means the King reads a speech by the goverment and their plans for Norway, but the sitting goverment wont be governing next week since we will have a change.
Read about it here: kongehuset.no - Opening of the Storting
The King opens Stortinget and reads the speech, the Queen and Crown Prince decorate the ceremony
There was alot of protests when the queen wanted to attend back in the 90s becauseNorway had not had a Queen in so many years so that was something new and "untraditional". The PReisdent of Stortinget was opposed but Sonja got her way and has attended ever since.
The full order of the day for the State Opening of the Storting is as follows:
1. When His Majesty the King is ready to be received, the President of the Storting takes his seat and declares the sitting of the Storting lawfully called to order.
2. The procession enters the Storting Chamber. The Members of the Storting remain seated.
3. The King and the royal entourage enter the Chamber. Everyone rises when they appear at the entrance to the Chamber.
4. The first verse of the Royal Anthem (Kongesangen) is sung.
5. The King reads the Speech from the Throne.
6. The King and the Members of the Storting take their seats.
7. The State of the Realm Address is read by the responsible Minister. The King and the Members of the Storting remain seated. (traditionally the youngest minister in goverment and it is read in new norwegian, the second official language)
8. The King and the Members of the Storting then rise and the Prime Minister presents the State of the Realm Address to the King.
9. The President comes forward and receives the Speech from the Throne and the State of the Realm Address from the King.
10. The President speaks, closing with the traditional words “May God preserve our King and country”, joined by the Members of the Storting.
11. The first verse of the National Anthem (Ja, vi elsker) is sung.
12. The King and royal entourage leave the Chamber. Everyone remains standing until the procession of senior officials has also left the Chamber.
13. The Secretary General of the Storting enters and bows to the President to indicate that the King has left the Storting premises.
14. Before the sitting is adjourned, the President recommends that the Speech from the Throne and the State of the Realm Address be submitted for deliberation at a subsequent sitting.
15. The sitting of the Storting is adjourned