Norwegian royals at the 2008 Summer Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
According to this article in Aftenposten, it was decided that the King, the Queen and the Crown Prince will be going to China for the Olympics this summer.

The press were curious after the discussions on CP Frederik's attendance in Denmark, and the Prince of Wales not attending - and asked the palace.

The organizations for human rights in Tibet, are disappointed that the royals are attending (but more disappointed in IOC for not being firmer with China).

The comment from the palace on the topic is - I think - absolutely correct: "The regards for human rights is important, and this is something that the Norwegian government have a continuing discussion with the Chinese about."

I mean, the role of the royals is non-political. As long as Norway is sending athletes, and have diplomatic relations with China, it would be strange for the royals to boycott something without the approval of the Norwegian government. Certainly it would send a signal to China, but it would also send a signal to the Norwegian government about the role of the monarchy... :ermm:

I like it that they are going, because I think they aren't going for the Chinese government, but for the athletes from Norway.

Anything on why the Crown Princess isn't going?

Nothing. It could be many things, though.
I hope for a very special reason... :angel: but I don't want to start any speculations here... So I will just shut up. :D

anyway:
Great to see that the RF will attend the Olympic games to support their team!

why all the drama? they go to Benjing to support the atlets. is it a political issue? :ermm:
I hope Mette-Marit will change her mind and will participate in such action.

why all the drama? they go to Benjing to support the atlets. is it a political issue? :ermm:
I think that it is an occasion where many eyes from the world will be on China, and some humanitarian organizations see it as their time to point out what is wrong in the country.

Danish prime minister intervened in the protest against CP Frederik's attendance at the Olympics, today, btw, and said a lot of what I commented on above, regarding the fact that the royal house do not deal in politics, but the government do. The royals go to support the athletes, not to negotiate with the Chinese government. Amnesty Denmark agreed with him.

I hope for a very special reason... :angel: but I don't want to start any speculations here... So I will just shut up. :D

anyway:
Great to see that the RF will attend the Olympic games to support their team!

I think and hope so too. Especially after the last minute cancellation of the Chile trip :flowers:

Norwegianne, thanks for your respond. I still do not understand what is the connection between Olimpics and political issues. and the other question that bother me, arent internal problems of the country remain internal and have nothing to do to international community? if so, it is so unfair to prohibit DRF/ Frederick from going to support the team :ermm:

The Palace seems to have the same opinion as me on this. Their information advisor said this in an article: "The King and the Queen will follow the recommendations of the Norwegian government in the question of attendance at the Olympic games." Aftenposten.no: Åpner for kongelig OL-boikott (Innenriks)

At the same the red-green politicians ask the King, the Queen and the minister of culture not attend the opening ceremony. The Prime Minister, on the other hand, who is also from the red-green political alliance, has expressed doubts on the effect of boycotting the opening ceremony:
Rødgrønne politikere ber kongen droppe OL

Maybe Mette-Marit is not that keen on sports....

And Then, The Crown Prince Will Be There?

I don't see what the concern is, they seem to be going to support their athletes however, I have to say that it could be a good opportunity for Norway in the future to have this relationship with China. As Norway has been in continued discussion about human rights--this could be viewed as an opportunity to help further that discussion. For example, April 2 was WorldWide Autism Awareness Day, and one of the big discussions was about China and how it approaches the Autism Epidemic--often with some shame and hiding of the children. It is a human rights issue, and personally, I would love to see the Norwegian family get involved in Autism Awareness and maybe become patrons of a school of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom