Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I felt sorry for the kids, it looked really cold and I-A didn't look like she felt very good. Magnus is adorable, he looks just like Marius and if he can grow up to be like Marius, he has a great role model in his big brother to follow. Marius is growing up too fast, he is now a young man, not a little boy. I am glad to hear that I-A doesn't have to stay on the balcony the entire time, that is too much for such a little girl. But boy, at least I think so, you could really see her personality in the pictures, she is very headstrong, which is probably good for what lies ahead for her. It is so much fun getting to watch these wonderful children grow up.

All the children definitely looked quite annoyed in the morning. Can't say I blame them! The weather looked freezing. But Ingrid seemed to have cheered up by the afternoon, and looked quite happy on the balcony. I loved Mette-Marit's whole look on the balcony-great hat, great hair, great coat!

I also thought M-M looked really great and I loved the picture of her and I-A playing on the balcony. CP H-M & M-M look like such great parents, I can't wait for them to have another child.

Princess Ingrid steals the show during Norway's national festivities

...With a pretty pink bow in her hair the four-year-old princess showed her mischievous streak as she took to the balcony of the Royal Palace to watch the ... HelloMagazine Article & Pictures

Princess Ingrid steals the show during Norway's national festivities

...With a pretty pink bow in her hair the four-year-old princess showed her mischievous streak as she took to the balcony of the Royal Palace to watch the ... HelloMagazine Article & Pictures

They haven't quite got their timing right, but who is Hello to let the truth get in the way of a good story :whistling:

aww all the pictures are so nice, thanks everyone for posting them. Ingrid is growing up so quickly! She seems to be getting somewhat more shy though!

i asked earlier if I-A were at the may 17 2005
i see now that she was

is this the only time M-M has worn natinal dress at the belcony event?

is this the only time M-M has worn natinal dress at the belcony event?
Yes (by the way. The Queen also wore a Bunad at the balcony in 2005; I never really noticed that...).
It was the only time.
Usually they wear suits and hats.

wonder why

Has mette - marut been present since the year 2001 at all may 17?

What a lovely family. I felt sorry for poor little Ingrid, she looked so cold in those pictures! Sverre is very similar to Marius. After all, they are half brothers.

National Day - May 17, 2009

Norway celebrates national day soon. Here is the program:

08:20 - as usual Kronprinsfamilien greets children's parade in Skaugum.

10:00 - The royal family greets people from the balcony of The Palace.

16:00 - The King and Queen visit Grünerløkka, borough of the Oslo city.

Last edited:
There are some work that is being done outside at the house on Skaugum these days, so this May 17th, the Crownprince and family will greet the parade from outside the gates to Skaugum instead from the stairs outside the house, as they normally do. :flowers:

Will Martha-Louise and her family participate?

They never do. Princess Märtha and her family are not part of the Royal House, or the Crown Prince family, and their celebration is private.

They have been seen at the palace in earlier years looking at the parade from the inside. I imagine they will, from the year Maud Angelica starts school, celebrate like most families: watching their children walk in the local parade and participate in different games and activities at their school.

It's a sad think they are not considered as "Royal Family". Ari Behn is not from nobility or any royal house, but Princess Märtha surely is! Vanesa.

It's a sad think they are not considered as "Royal Family".
They are!

The Behn Family belongs to the "Royal Family" , but not to the "Royal House" or "Crown Princely Family".

Members of the "Royal House" are:
The King and Queen, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess and the Heir to the Throne (Ingrid Alexandra).
Members of the "Royal Family", on the other hand, are:
The King and Queen, the Crown princely family, Family Behna and the Ferner and Lorentzen families.

Sverre Magnus, the Behn Family and the Families of Astrid and Raghild don't belong to the "Royal House". They "only" belong to the "Royal Family". That's why they don't attend on the balcony on May 17th.

Last edited:
Totally correct, Her_Majesty, as usual! Thanks for explaining about the difference as you did in the previous post here! A lot of people doesn't understand the difference, not even in Norway!

I also like to point out that princess Märtha Louise didn't "loose" her "HRH - Her Royal highness" title when she married Mr. Ari Mikael Behn, May 24th 2002. When I read around on the internet, many people express sadness because she "lost" her title. She did not! She chose to give it up herself, she wasn't forced to do so because her husband to be wasn't Royal or anything. She gave up her title to be able to start her own business, which she has done in several ways.

Totally correct, Her_Majesty, as usual! Thanks for explaining about the difference as you did in the previous post here! A lot of people doesn't understand the difference, not even in Norway!

I also like to point out that princess Märtha Louise didn't "loose" her "HRH - Her Royal highness" title when she married Mr. Ari Mikael Behn, May 24th 2002. When I read around on the internet, many people express sadness because she "lost" her title. She did not! She chose to give it up herself, she wasn't forced to do so because her husband to be wasn't Royal or anything. She gave up her title to be able to start her own business, which she has done in several ways.

Yes, but she would have have lost her HRH anyway when she married Ari Behn just like it happened to her Aunts when they married commoners. Princesses in Norway are not allowed to keep their styles if they marry commoners.

Well, actually she was not forced to give up her HRH title, like her aunts, but many people to this day think she did. She really did choose to give up the HRH title herself, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she married a non-royal man, and it made big headlines in news and media, and there were weeks of discussions here in Norway about her desiscion.

A lot of people ment she wasn't able to or even entitled to give up anything, because she is the daughter to a King no matter what she wanna do and who she marry, and therefor she is a princess and a HRH. Many seem to think she had to give up her HRH title, but it was actually her choice, and her father supported her. So she still have her princess title, but is not a HRH.

Then - I do apology for taking this thread away from it's original content - which is about the CP couple and where will they be may 17th. But when people write incorrect things about a royal, I would like to correct it if I know for a fact that I'm correct.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. :) Märtha Louise gave up her HRH in February 2002, 3 months before her wedding so she could start her own business. In any case, as soon as she married a commoner, like all other Norwegian princesses before her, she would have lost her HRH anyway. So kudos to her for doing it on her own terms.

I'm so sorry about the misunderstanding Mandy. Me misunderstanding you that is. And yes, it is correct that it was tree months before her wedding as you also wrote, that the HRH ended.

Thank you for clearing up! :flowers:
I'm sorry about the late response. I've been away for a few days.

And yes, kudos to p Märtha Louise for doing things her own way. In the book that was released around her 30th birthday, it is obvious that she has had a major inner job with herself for years, to adjust to the fact that she is a princess, but still she wanna do her own things. So kudos to her. I think she seem like a very nice person. And she is very brave.

Last edited:
Soooo sweet! Thank you, I love this family! Congratulations to my favourite royal family!

Back
Top Bottom