The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Barack Obama awarded Nobel Peace Prize | Mail Online

Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize simply because he's not George Bush | Mail Online

I'm glad he's getting one but I didn't expect him to get one so soon.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Nobility

Lots of perspectives

There has been a LOT of feedback and discussion since the announcement. I find myself quite torn about the issue as well. My initial reaction was similar to a lot of the critics of the award - "it's too soon", "what has he actually done or accomplished", etc. I even considered that by those standards that I, a supporter of Obama who voted for him and share his "vision" on the criteria for which he received the award, am equally qualified and should receive the award as well.

Which led me to consider that, to a certain extent, I did receive the award, as did all of us who truly hold the same vision of peace and nuclear disarmament. The difference between myself and President Obama is that no one knows me and while he enjoys the perks of his status and celebrity, he still made the choice to enter the very public world of politics and to take a strong stand.

I still have a large feeling that this is too soon but after researching more about the award, which was never granted to Gandhi (even after five nominations), I realized that the Nobel Peace Prize committee deserves more of the criticism because of their misguided adherence to awarding only a "living person" or organization.

In addition, a review of past recipients includes several who received the award for their efforts to "achieve peace in the Middle East" or for "a more peaceful world". Based on results, these individuals did not achieve anything either, so perhaps they were undeserving as well.

Other recipients, while I personally feel are qualified and deserving, received the award for efforts to peace, development or humanitarian work in small, isolated, or unknown countries or areas. Their contribution was vastly significant to a miniscule number of people in the world population. Most accounts of Obama at least grant the fact that he has improved the international image of one of the largest and most influential nations on the planet and that he has become an international figure of hope and inspiration that people everywhere can do and be better. By that measure, his contribution is more far-reaching than recipients whose work is limited to a smaller segment of the world.

Are there other people more deserving? I would say absolutely. But maybe they are unknown or not nominated. Is Obama undeserving? I would disagree. Obama and other leaders in the same mold inspire me (and I believe others) to believe that the world can be better. Is it too soon? I can only put it into context of Gandhi. If my biggest fear had been realized and Obama had been assassinated during the campaign or after taking office and the Nobel Prize committee used common sense and awarded the prize to a deceased person, I don't believe any of the negative criticism of the choice would even exist. Most people would call him a hero, martyr, inspiration, etc. But, like Gandhi, if Obama had died or been assissinated we wouldn't even have the conversation because the Nobel committee wouldn't even consider him.

My hope is that the world recognizes that the Prize actually is awarded to the actions/beliefs of a person rather than the individual receiving it. If that happens, then perhaps Obama's accomplishment will be realized in people acting on the inspiration and there might actually be results.

Sorry for the long post but this seems to be a big topic. The last point I'll make is that Obama cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The UN, the EU, and any other international peace organization cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The only people who can achieve peace in the Middle East are the people in the Middle East. So calls for him to actually achieve a result are misdirected. The most that he can do, without trying to force peace (like his predecessor), is state his opinion and make himself available to support efforts to end the conflict and work toward peace. AFAIK, that is what he has done.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Gentry

Well said, rascal!

I was saddened to read the rather negative comments posted here regarding President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win. But Rascal's comment here was so close to my own opinion that I wanted to compliment he/she and thank them for their post. Well done, Rascal!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
There has been a LOT of feedback and discussion since the announcement. I find myself quite torn about the issue as well. My initial reaction was similar to a lot of the critics of the award - "it's too soon", "what has he actually done or accomplished", etc. I even considered that by those standards that I, a supporter of Obama who voted for him and share his "vision" on the criteria for which he received the award, am equally qualified and should receive the award as well.

Which led me to consider that, to a certain extent, I did receive the award, as did all of us who truly hold the same vision of peace and nuclear disarmament. The difference between myself and President Obama is that no one knows me and while he enjoys the perks of his status and celebrity, he still made the choice to enter the very public world of politics and to take a strong stand.

I still have a large feeling that this is too soon but after researching more about the award, which was never granted to Gandhi (even after five nominations), I realized that the Nobel Peace Prize committee deserves more of the criticism because of their misguided adherence to awarding only a "living person" or organization.

In addition, a review of past recipients includes several who received the award for their efforts to "achieve peace in the Middle East" or for "a more peaceful world". Based on results, these individuals did not achieve anything either, so perhaps they were undeserving as well.

Other recipients, while I personally feel are qualified and deserving, received the award for efforts to peace, development or humanitarian work in small, isolated, or unknown countries or areas. Their contribution was vastly significant to a miniscule number of people in the world population. Most accounts of Obama at least grant the fact that he has improved the international image of one of the largest and most influential nations on the planet and that he has become an international figure of hope and inspiration that people everywhere can do and be better. By that measure, his contribution is more far-reaching than recipients whose work is limited to a smaller segment of the world.

Are there other people more deserving? I would say absolutely. But maybe they are unknown or not nominated. Is Obama undeserving? I would disagree. Obama and other leaders in the same mold inspire me (and I believe others) to believe that the world can be better. Is it too soon? I can only put it into context of Gandhi. If my biggest fear had been realized and Obama had been assassinated during the campaign or after taking office and the Nobel Prize committee used common sense and awarded the prize to a deceased person, I don't believe any of the negative criticism of the choice would even exist. Most people would call him a hero, martyr, inspiration, etc. But, like Gandhi, if Obama had died or been assissinated we wouldn't even have the conversation because the Nobel committee wouldn't even consider him.

My hope is that the world recognizes that the Prize actually is awarded to the actions/beliefs of a person rather than the individual receiving it. If that happens, then perhaps Obama's accomplishment will be realized in people acting on the inspiration and there might actually be results.

Sorry for the long post but this seems to be a big topic. The last point I'll make is that Obama cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The UN, the EU, and any other international peace organization cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The only people who can achieve peace in the Middle East are the people in the Middle East. So calls for him to actually achieve a result are misdirected. The most that he can do, without trying to force peace (like his predecessor), is state his opinion and make himself available to support efforts to end the conflict and work toward peace. AFAIK, that is what he has done.
Wow Rascal, so well written!
Nobody knows wether is soon or later to achieve a prize, I personally think that Mr.Obama deserves this one...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't agree with the Academy. Why Mr Obama?
What has he done during these nine months for the Wolrd Peace? Send soldiers here and there because his relationships with Russia, conflicts with Iran, North Korea... Did he deserve for it because he's not Mr Bush or because he's First Afro-American/Black American/African American US President etc. and evereyone should like him?
Or maybe it was given him only for his nice words about the future not about the present things...
Who really know the true reason than it was said? Or maybe it's simple: the Academy want to start discussion about the World Peace in our present time?
For many people the NPP now after the announcement mean less than it mean before the announcement. But as someone said: tomorrow is another day...
I've hope than now before Mr Obama will do something he will think twice not only as President but as NPP owner. The Nobel Peace Prize oblige to something.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I very much doubt that Mr Nobel had specified that recipients could be people with a vision. It would have been people who achieved and accomplished. Bearing in mind that the deadline for a candidate's name to be considered was 11 days after Mr Obama's inauguration, the whole process and decision seem a little too political on the committee's part.

Don't most people have a vision for peace though? That's why I wonder if maybe the prize was intended for the American people who voted for a change in the way US deals with other countries, friends and foes alike. I doubt the prize could go to a whole country though - maybe Obama is just the representative of a greater change in the peace process by the USA.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Nobility

IMO it's a ridiculous decision, really . And next year it will be given to Angelina Jolie ...Obama is being admired like a pop star and most of people are loosing their objectivity towards him...As far as I know he didn't achieve ANYTHING to be in the position to receive this price . I really don't know if I must laugh or cry ... Crazy world...
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

The awarding of the Peace Prize is always controversial. I voted for Obama in 2008, and don't get me wrong, I love me some Obama, but he hasn't done anywhere near what he said he would yet.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Don't most people have a vision for peace though? That's why I wonder if maybe the prize was intended for the American people who voted for a change in the way US deals with other countries, friends and foes alike. I doubt the prize could go to a whole country though - maybe Obama is just the representative of a greater change in the peace process by the USA.
I suppose it would make us feel better thinking that we all deserved it and it is us who received it.
Still they would never award me a Nobel prize in Medicine because I hope and wish there is a cure for cancer within the next few months. It is wishful thinking to assume the committe was just impressed
by Mr Obama's speeches and visions. It was a political decision, plain and simple and as such it diminishes the meaning of the award for this and future recipients.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblog...leep-over.html
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Program for the Nobel Peace,

12/10

His Majesty The King grants Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, His Excellency President Barack Obama, audience. Her Majesty The Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will also be in attendance (12:00).
His Majesty The King attends the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in Oslo Town Hall. Her Majesty The Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will also be in attendance (12:00)

Their Majesties The King and Queen attend an official banquet in honour of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, His Excellency President Barack Obama (19:00).

12/11

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess attend the Nobel Peace Prize Concert, Oslo Spektrum (20:00).

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Nobility

Can anyone tell me where I could watch the ceremony live much like the concert on the internet?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Im so excited about the nobel peace prize coming up! Please let us know if it is live-streamed on the internet. Thanks in advance-
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Royal Highness

I can't wait to see what Michelle wears and if they'll bring the girls with them. Too bad it's not white tie like the rest of the Nobel prizes.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian View Post
Can anyone tell me where I could watch the ceremony live much like the concert on the internet?
Marian, you and all of you interested in watch the Nobel ceremony, could follow the live webcast here:
The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony 2009
Direct link
The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony- Media Player at Nobelprize.org
It will began at 1:00pm (Oslo time)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
IMO it's a ridiculous decision, really . And next year it will be given to Angelina Jolie ...Obama is being admired like a pop star and most of people are loosing their objectivity towards him...As far as I know he didn't achieve ANYTHING to be in the position to receive this price . I really don't know if I must laugh or cry ... Crazy world...

Though I don´t think this is the place to discuss wether it is right to give the N Prize to Obama or not, because this is a forum about ROYAL matters, I cannot prevent in asking you if you are serious in comparing the president of the United States with Angelina Jolie?!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

As it seems Obama will only come to Oslo to recieve the Nobel Prize, but won't take part in the other events that usually come along with the Nobel Prize Celebrations (e.g. having lunch with the King, attending the annual Nobel Concert etc.).
The Norwegian press seems to be rather upset that the President skipped most of the engagements.
Read more here.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
As it seems Obama will only come to Oslo to recieve the Nobel Prize, but won't take part in the other events that usually come along with the Nobel Prize Celebrations (e.g. having lunch with the King, attending the annual Nobel Concert etc.).
The Norwegian press seems to be rather upset that the President skipped most of the engagements.
Read more here.
I would be aswell, this is just like when President Sarkozy wittled down his visit to the UK last year.
I wish he would attend the events, I understand he is the president but he can make time to get the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE and spend sometime with norways royal family.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

President Obama is in a tough spot. If he goes and takes a couple of days in Norway for dinners etc, the public here in the US might think he's off having a good time and not paying attention to troubles at home. On the other hand, if he goes and accepts the award and then comes right back, the Norwegian press is on his back. Now just a thought here, but with his approval rating down here in the US, does he really want to upset us even more by going to Norway and partying for several days?? In my opinion, he's choosen the lesser of two evils.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone know if Obama will attend the official dinner that the King host in his honor?, it is displayed in the Royal House calendar.

Tags
barack obama, haakon, harald v, mette-marit, nobel prize, queen sonja