Nobel Peace Prize 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning Crown Princess Mette Marit attended the Peace Prize Party at the Youngs square, that Save the Children organized on the ocasion of the Nobel Prize day.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Btw, actor Will Smith and his family are attending the Nobel Ceremony
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aSaayibgl4Kj/610x.jpg

The Ceremony is now Live!

Presentation Speech

Unless he is out of the picture Trey & Jaden Smith are missing from that picture.

Michelle has picked an awful outfit to be honest. Sonja and MM look wonderful. :flowers:

Huh? Why in the world was Will Smith and his wife invited to the Nobel Peace Prize dinner and to be in the parade? It seems everything these days has turned into a Hollywood star-studded event.:rolleyes:

Huh? Why in the world was Will Smith and his wife invited to the Nobel Peace Prize dinner and to be in the parade? It seems everything these days has turned into a Hollywood star-studded event.:rolleyes:

Because they will lead the Nobel Peach Prize concert this evening.

Ok, I hate so say this about my own President's wife, but that outfit looks like she's wearing a big pile of baby poo! I've seen her wear much better outfits when she's out in the vegetable garden at the White House. Her hair does look very nice though.

Great photos of the event, thanks to all those who posted for us!

I think the issue is that Michelle is wearing a dress coat and her dress. The dress coat seems overpowering, I think I have pics of the dress and its quite nice. A little too much when its all together.

Thanks for the photos! :flowers:
Mrs. Obama's ensemble is usual American. As far as I remember, the gold and silver colours are considered neutral in the USA. Crown Princess Mette-Marit's outfit had clean fluidity I like a lot and was nicely tailored. Although Queen Sonia looked all right, I am not keen on shiny fabric her suit was made of.

Some photos from spletnik.ru http://www.spletnik.ru/buzz/chronic...obame-vruchili-nobelevskuju-premiju-mira.html

CP Mette-Marit is the winner for me in the fashion stakes. Perfection for her. Cant wait to see what she wears at the Banquet. Obama does look tired and a bit older actually. But being president does that.

I was quite suprised by the Presidents speech today though.

Wow, I'm really not a fan of any of the clothes. MM's outfit would have been fine, but its whiteness clashes with her dark tights. I like the color of Sonja's suit, but it's sort of shapeless and sort of looks more like a shiny red bag. But Michelle's is far and away the worst. Horrible color, and I can't think of anything good about it.

In the Kongehuset article it says that Crown Prince Haakon and Princess MM will also be in attendance at the Nobel Banquet tonight.
The Royal couple first attended the Banquet in 2006 (when Queen Sofia was invited, too). It's great to see the Crown Princely couple being invited now, too. :flowers:

In the Kongehuset article it says that Crown Prince Haakon and Princess MM will also be in attendance at the Nobel Banquet tonight.
The Royal couple first attended the Banquet in 2006 (when Queen Sofia was invited, too). It's great to see the Crown Princely couple being invited now, too. :flowers:

Banquet in Stockholm?

My mistake, I know already :blush::blush:

the Banquest in Oslo. They have the award ceremony in the evening and they have a formal black-tie banquet later in the evening. Its not as grand as the one in Stockholm, but all the same, I cant wait for pictures. Very glad the CP's are now attending as well, hopefully they will notch it up to a white-tie affair in the coming years. One can hope.

i'm also quite sceptical as to the reasons behind choosing obama as a nobel price winner. inspirational and forward-thinking, yes. the person who "has done the most for universal peace"? sorry, but no. come on, he just presented his new militar plan for afganistan! even myself, without extensive knowledge of american politics, will know the uncompatibility with a nobel price. i'm not sure what the panel was thinking this year. i hope you don't get me wrong, i like obama and i think he has done good things (or tried to at least) but all he has done just now in terms of "universal peace" is simply plans. to equal him to the level of how "Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King" changed the world does not seem right.

regarding michelle, i'm not sure why for such important ocassions she chooses such horrible outfits. her inauguration outfit was unbecoming to say the least and this is not better. to me, it's plain tacky. what an awful colour. it's a shame because sometimes i really love her choices but she seems to always get it wrong for big events.

MM seems such an emotional person, did she cry during obama's speech? i believe she cried one of the past years also.

could someone explain what's the reason behind will smith and his wife hosting the nobel price concert? is it normal that celebrities do this?

Last edited:
Gosh, I'm not sure who I'm more tired of. The president or his wife. They both annoy me. But now that I think about it, I think she annoys me far more than the president.
[...]
It is way to early for the president to get such a prestegious award and every time I see this couple, I can't help but feel that they are in it just for the perks of having the "celebrity status", because as far as I can see, he has not done anything of merit since he has been in office, even though it's for such a short time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, I'm not sure who I'm more tired of. The president or his wife. They both annoy me. But now that I think about it, I think she annoys me far more than the president.[...]
It is way to early for the president to get such a prestegious award and every time I see this couple, I can't help but feel that they are in it just for the perks of having the "celebrity status", because as far as I can see, he has not done anything of merit since he has been in office, even though it's for such a short time.

Glad to see that someone is thinking like I do ...tired of them both too ...
[...]

Mette Marit had a beautiful gown tonight, she was very, very pretty .:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, I would like to ask you to calm down and remember that personal attacks of any kinds, as well as rude comments, will be deleted.
Everyone can express his/her opinion respectfully!
Thank you.​

i'm also quite sceptical as to the reasons behind choosing obama as a nobel price winner. inspirational and forward-thinking, yes. the person who "has done the most for universal peace"? sorry, but no. come on, he just presented his new militar plan for afganistan! even myself, without extensive knowledge of american politics, will know the uncompatibility with a nobel price. i'm not sure what the panel was thinking this year. i hope you don't get me wrong, i like obama and i think he has done good things (or tried to at least) but all he has done just now in terms of "universal peace" is simply plans. to equal him to the level of how "Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King" changed the world does not seem right.

regarding michelle, i'm not sure why for such important ocassions she chooses such horrible outfits. her inauguration outfit was unbecoming to say the least and this is not better. to me, it's plain tacky. what an awful colour. it's a shame because sometimes i really love her choices but she seems to always get it wrong for big events.

MM seems such an emotional person, did she cry during obama's speech? i believe she cried one of the past years also.

could someone explain what's the reason behind will smith and his wife hosting the nobel price concert? is it normal that celebrities do this?

I am with you on everything you said. I still don't understand what the point of having Will Smith and his wife hosting the Nobel Prize concert. Seems kind of tacky.

Totally agree about Michelle's outfit - the shiny gold looks very outdated, very 80's.

I like Barack Obama too, but no way does he deserve this prize. He hasn't even been in office a year and just revealed he's sending more troops to war. Maybe they're just giving awards away to anybody now.

I thought everyone looked good! I actually like Michelle's gown and jacket, but I think MM was stunning! She is a beautiful Crown Princess.

I don’t see the problem with Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith presenting the Nobel Peace Prize concert. It is not a new thing to have known “Hollywood” celebrities host the concert. Earlier presenters include: Scarlett Johansson and Sir Michael Caine in 2008, Uma Thurman and Tommy Lee Jones in 2007, Sharon Stone and Anjelica Houston in 2006, Julianne Moore and Salma Hayek in 2005, and Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise in 2004. I don’t understand why it’s suddenly tacky when it’s Will and Jada.

I thought the ceremony in the City Hall when President Obama received the prize was very beautiful. The Norwegian celebrations are much more low key than the ones in Stockholm, but I like that the focus is not on the royals but on the people who receives a prize. The President’s speech held many points I think often is overlooked and glossed over, and I liked how he worded himself.

I agree that giving Obama this award seems controversial, unwise and undeserving, and I agree that there are many more people who have worked for, and accomplished much more than Obama has yet, and indeed may ever do. Though, I see and agree with many of the points the leader of the Nobel committee made. I don’t think passing this event over as rubbish is wise. I think people would have a better understanding of why he was awarded the prize if they actually took the time to read/listen to the speeches given at the ceremony. You don’t have to agree with the reasons given, but to try and see this awarding from the perspective of those giving it might at least give a better understanding of why it is given.

I thought Michelle Obama looked lovely at the dinner, as did both the Queen and The Crown Princess. I thought they all looked fantastic. Of the day time outfits I liked how the Crown Princess looked best.

I will start by saying that I voted for President Obama. I liked him a lot and still do. He has a clear vision and definitive plans about the country which couldn't be said for his predecessor. He is knowledgeable, can speak coherently, is handsome ;), which again couldn't be said about the previous president.

But, I don't agree with the Nobel Committee's decision to award him with the Nobel Peace Prize. I understand after the declaration he couldn't have turned down the award without causing insult to the hosts and he is donating the prize money received to charity. But, the decision by the committee shouldn't have been made in the first place. From what I understand the nominations for the prize had to be submitted by February 1st and he took office in January. What extraordinary peace had he engineered or peaceful negotiations started during that one month in office or even while campaigning? I do believe the prize could have been given at a later date if and when the vision President Obama has for peace bore fruition. I think this is a classic case of "too much too soon."

As for the reasons given by the Committee, they were "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. Very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future." While I don't agree with the first statement, I do agree with the second. I believe the reason for the award might have more to do with his international image and paying homage to that than any extraordinary efforts made towards peace.

Michelle seriously needs to get a stylist and if she already has one (which I am sure she does) she should fire her. I can't understand why the First Lady of the US dresses in outrageous clothes with loud patterns and all the bells and whistles. She could have worn a classic suit cut in simple lines with minimal fuss. As for MM, I liked the the white coat and pillbox hat but not the dark stockings she insists on wearing with every outfit. Michelle's hair at the Gala, I liked, but the outfit was again a big no.

I couldn't agree more. This year Nobel Prize has been quite controversial, in fact when the comitee announced its decision, I thought that was quite undeserving. But I agree with Pdas1201, that the Obama's main message in the firts days in the goverment and even during his campaign was Hope, and that is a great step nowdays. Thanks to Obama's message and his vission of the world and war and peace, the world change its image of America and its goverments.
As Thorbjørn Jagland said, "From the very first moment of his presidency, President Obama has been trying to create a more cooperative climate which can help reverse the present trend".

Obama's lecture at the Nobel Ceremony was very humble and very real. I would like that he never lose that point of view.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom