Nobel Peace Prize 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/ar...rticleID=656886

Star-studded line-up for Nobel Concert

The annual concert held in connection with the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo will once again feature some big names in music and the arts. The Norwegians are perhaps most excited about the appearance of a home-grown star.

Lene Marlin, the singer who recently re-emerged with a new hit single, has finally agreed to perform at the concert, which will be held in the Oslo Spektrum arena December 11. Prize-winner Shirin Ebadi of Iran will be the guest of honor.

"We've tried to get her for three years," a clearly pleased concert organizer Odd Arvid Stroemstad told newspaper Aftenposten. "This time she said yes."

Marlin isn't the only Nordic headliner who's signed up to perform. The Cardigans of Sweden are also on the bill, which as usual will offer a wide range of entertainment.

Opera stars Roberto Alagna and Angela Gheorghiu head the classical offering. "They're not just two strong artists," claimed Stroemstad, "they're two very strong personalities."

Country music will also be represented, with Tim McGraw of the US set to travel to Oslo. Stroemstad told Aftenposten that McGraw also is considering taking along his wife, fellow country music star Faith Hill.

The Chieftains of Ireland have also agreed to perform at the Nobel Concert, with Roseanne Cash, daughter of the late Johnny Cash.

Stroemstad said Orchestra Baobab of Senegal is also on the line-up for the concert, which will be hosted by celebrity couple Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It will be broadcast to 100 countries with an audience reach of 500 million households.

Actors Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones will host the Nobel Concert this year.

Attachments

• ADOPT_A_MINEFIELD_150895a.jpg
    ADOPT_A_MINEFIELD_150895a.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,512
http://www.nobel.se/nobel/events/dec_10/index.html

The Prize Award Ceremonies and Banquets on December 10

Since 1901, the Nobel Prizes have been presented to the Laureates at ceremonies on December 10, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death. As stipulated in the will of the Swedish-born inventor and international industrialist Alfred Nobel, which was opened after his death in 1896 ... the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded in Oslo, Norway.

In Oslo, the ceremony was for many years held at the Nobel Institute. From 1947 till 1990, the setting was the auditorium of the University of Oslo. In 1990 the event moved to the Oslo City Hall.

... In Oslo the Nobel Peace Prize is presented by the Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee in the presence of Their Majesties the King and Queen of Norway, the Government, Storting representatives and an invited audience. Several hundred seats are reserved for persons with special reasons for wishing to attend the ceremony. Later the same day, the Norwegian Nobel Committee hosts a banquet in honour of the Laureate, with specially invited guests.

Since the Nobel Prize is regarded by far as the most prestigious prize in the world, the Award Ceremonies as well as the Banquets ... Oslo on December 10 have been transformed from local ... Norwegian arrangements into major international events that receive worldwide coverage by the print media, radio and television.

Oslo City Hall

Attachments

• fredsutdelning.jpg
    fredsutdelning.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,223
the crown prince regent his there with his mother and the crown princess.

Mette-Marit looks very discreet in the dark ensemble she is wearing. And the big hat covers nearly all of her face. Quite different from her light blue suits from the previous years.

It's the first year, since he became king, that King Harald's not at the ceremony.

Queen Sonja looks very depressed, though. (I'm not sure I blame her.)

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:10 am
See the Nobel ceremony in Oslo live,

Nobel Ceremony in Oslo
Thank you for poeting the URL very much, Josefine. :flower:

I saw the Nobel ceremony in Oslo live for the first time. I am very glad to see the royal family of Norway with a live broadcast, especially Mette-Marit. :lol: But I disappointed that she wears a big hat and dark colour's clothes. I would like to see her who wears colorful dress without a big hat.

this was taken an hour before the cermony

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,195
Originally posted by jun5@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:58 am
I would like to see her who wears colorful dress without a big hat.
It's the big hat that's the most irritating. But maybe there's a good reason why she's wearing it. She's in one of the last months of her pregnancy.

Queen Sonja wears a small hat, and I think they should've switched.

Queen Sonja has aged quite a lot in the past two weeks.

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,240
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 517
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited by a moderator:
Did Princess Martha Louise attend this year?

Josefine where will the party be? In which forum? :innocent: :woot:

we have a mingle thread at the chit chat forum, many of us will be at the swedish forum...

Originally posted by monaco70s@Dec 10th, 2003 - 9:59 am
Did Princess Martha Louise attend this year?

No, she wasn't there.

She will attend the concert tomorrow, with her husband, her brother and her sister-in-law.

Or so the programme from the Palace informed me. :rolleyes:

Oh thanks Josefine ;) I'll join ya and the others at the Swedish forum if I can.

Mette-Marit's hat is so big it covers half her face!

... Maybe she was planning on holding the hat strategically in front of her growing belly, and not to cover her face with!

Was King Harald's lack of presence mentioned?

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 10th, 2003 - 12:03 pm

The Norwegian commentator mentioned that this was the first time that King Harald hasn't attended, since he became King. He also mentioned the illness. I don't know what the other commentators did.

It wasn't mentioned, that I heard, directly in the award-ceremony.

Thank you norwegianne for the information. I was just curious to know if King Harald would be acknowledged, not to mean that the entire ceremony should be somber or downcast as a result of the constant reminder that the King has cancer. But I think it was an important and nice gesture that the King's non-presence at the award was mentioned and acknowledged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3306803.stm

Nobel winner blasts rights abuses

Ebadi had a tough message for the West
Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi has criticised states for infringing human rights "under the cloak of the war on terrorism".

In a speech after accepting her award, Ms Ebadi, 56, said the events of 11 September 2001 in the United States had been misused for this end.

She also said the fact she had won the prize would inspire masses of women striving to achieve their rights.

The Iranian lawyer was the first Muslim woman to be awarded the peace prize.

Attachments

• _39620147_ebadi203x250ap.jpg
    _39620147_ebadi203x250ap.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,150
Polfoto 10 December 2003 - The Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Embadi met Crown Prince Haakon and Queen Sonja in audience at the Royal Palace at 12 am. She met the Royals before she went to Oslo City Hall to receive the award.

Polfoto 10 December 2003 - The Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Embadi met Crown Prince Haakon and Queen Sonja in audience at the Royal Palace at 12 am. She met the Royals before she went to Oslo City Hall to receive the award.

Attachments

• NY_haakon_507.jpg
    NY_haakon_507.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 324
  • NY_family_504b.jpg
    NY_family_504b.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 429
  • NY_family_504d.jpg
    NY_family_504d.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 464
IBL - Oslo, Norway, 10 December 2003 - Nobel Peace Award with Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

Attachments

• NY_family_505b.jpg
    NY_family_505b.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 733
  • NY_family_505c.jpg
    NY_family_505c.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 540
  • NY_family_505d.jpg
    NY_family_505d.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 567
  • NY_family_505e.jpg
    NY_family_505e.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 517
  • NY_sonja_507.jpg
    NY_sonja_507.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 519
  • NY_mette_marit_503b.jpg
    NY_mette_marit_503b.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 476
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 529
  • NY_family_505f.jpg
    NY_family_505f.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 539
  • NY_haakon_507a.jpg
    NY_haakon_507a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 764
Great photos. Mette-Merit, get a smaller hat! Great pair of legs. Good thing she is sitting down. With all of that extra weight, I bet her skinny legs are tired! Queen Sonja often reminds me of Meryl Streep. And just as stunning.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 10th, 2003 - 12:03 pm
Mette-Marit's hat is so big it covers half her face!

... Maybe she was planning on holding the hat strategically in front of her growing belly, and not to cover her face with!

Regarding the large hat, I'm sure MM is deferring to her moter-in-law as not the one to be noticed ~ I can see where Queen Sonja looks sort of "alone" without her husband at her side and it's her face people may want to see. However, it's always a "treat" to see MM with her shining hair and engaging smile.

Elizajane ;)

Mette-Marit certainly doesn't look 8/9 months pregnant! Where does she hide it?

Originally posted by samitude@Dec 11th, 2003 - 10:07 am
Maybe not when she is sitting down, but the Crown Princess certainly looks heavily pregnant when she walks/stands.

I was fortunate to be present at yesterday's ceremony, being seated close to the aisle. Thus I had a very good view of the royals when they arrived. I'm no expert on pregnancies, but to me she appeared very pregnant. At least 8 months.

Originally posted by samitude@Dec 11th, 2003 - 10:07 am
You see it when she's sitting as well. She looks like she's slouching in the chair, which I doubt she is...

She looks about 8 months pregnant although the dark clothes and the coat covers it, a lot.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 515
Great pictures Josefine!

Martha Louise's make up and hair makes her look very glamorous in this particular picture.

Did Queen Sonja attend the concert?

Polfoto 10-12-2003 Oslo City Hall, Oslo 10.12.03: Nobel Peace Prize ceremony 2003 Shirin Ebadi received the Nobel Peace Prize today at the ceremony in Oslo City Hall. Here, Crown Prince Haakon congratulates Shirin Ebadi.

Polfoto 10-12-2003: Nobel Peace Prize Banquet at Grand Hotel in Oslo Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

All pictures from www.polfoto.dk

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 439
  • Catherine_Zeta_Jones_Michael_Douglas_094546.jpg
    Catherine_Zeta_Jones_Michael_Douglas_094546.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 342
Aftenposten English Web Desk
Crown Princess Mette-Marit took part in Nobel Peace Prize duties on Wednesday. At her side is Oslo Mayor Per Ditlev-Simonsen. PHOTO: KNUT FJELDSTAD / SCANPIX

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 559
Back
Top Bottom