Nobel Peace Prize 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More pictures from the Nobel Concert.

1. ANB picture.
2, 3, 4. tv2 pictures.

Attachments

• Noble Concert 01 ANB.jpg
    Noble Concert 01 ANB.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 365
  • Noble Concert 01 TV2.jpg
    Noble Concert 01 TV2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 391
  • Noble Concert 02 TV2.jpg
    Noble Concert 02 TV2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Noble Concert 03 TV2.jpg
    Noble Concert 03 TV2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 483
Some photos from Corbis

Attachments

• OprahTomWangari.jpeg
    OprahTomWangari.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 176
  • RF.jpeg
    RF.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 373
  • TonyBennett.jpeg
    TonyBennett.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Patti.jpeg
    Patti.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 296
  • OprahCruiseWangari2.jpeg
    OprahCruiseWangari2.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 297
  • OprahCruise2.jpeg
    OprahCruise2.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 183
  • OprahCruise.jpeg
    OprahCruise.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 246
  • MMMHWM.jpeg
    MMMHWM.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 310
  • MH.jpeg
    MH.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Kiss.jpeg
    Kiss.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 203
but... wasn´t mette marit ill? why she wasn't in the prizes but in the concert?

seems strange that every year something happens with norwegian royals in the nobel ceremony. the other year it was king harald who was ill and now mette marit...

TRF (trf) loves waathai! :)
she seems lovely... and she also has a really nice smile...

i also wanted to ask if martha louise was there in the ceremony in the past years... when was the last time she went to the ceremony?

Omgangssyke means just that, you have it one day, and then you are well the next day (or atleast much better), and when you have it you really want to stay with in metres of the bathroom

You have to agree that beeing diagnozed with cancer and having major cergery on desember 8th is good enough reason to not attend the nobel on the 10th:confused: . That was the first time the King missed the ceremony while he has been King. King Olav also missed the ceremony twice due to illness (He died in January 91 so I dont think he attended in 90).

The Queen has missed the ceremony both in 2000 and 2001 both times because of ceregery in her foot I belive.

Last year Märtha went to the ceremony was in 2001, She attende the Concert last year though

I think Maathai is a wonderful woman who has done so much for the invornoment, women, children and democracy in Africa, and I really loved her lecture, nice to see that the prize does not only go to men in suits over 60. Loved her African clothes also, she really stood out.

More pics of the Crown Princely Couple from the Nobel Peace Prize Concert

from Colourpress

Attachments

• COLOUR10083492.jpg
    COLOUR10083492.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 331
  • COLOUR10083535.jpg
    COLOUR10083535.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 315
  • COLOUR10083534.jpg
    COLOUR10083534.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 316
  • COLOUR10083533.jpg
    COLOUR10083533.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 325
  • COLOUR10083532.jpg
    COLOUR10083532.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 300
  • COLOUR10083531.jpg
    COLOUR10083531.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 330
  • COLOUR10083529.jpg
    COLOUR10083529.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 273
  • COLOUR10083494.jpg
    COLOUR10083494.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 291
  • COLOUR10083493.jpg
    COLOUR10083493.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 326
  • COLOUR10083490.jpg
    COLOUR10083490.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 295
some more...

Attachments

• COLOUR10083536.jpg
    COLOUR10083536.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 302
  • COLOUR10083538.jpg
    COLOUR10083538.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 312
  • COLOUR10083540.jpg
    COLOUR10083540.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 411
Great pictures pdas1201!

Mette-Marit's hair looks great, and her little black dress simple and elegant.

A link to more pictures, courtesy of Afterposten: http://www.aftenposten.no/spesial/bildeserier/article929723.ece?start=1

Great points above Larzen. I don't think anybody in the Norwegian royal family would miss this event on purpose or try to get out of it. It is not only a very important event (and the one rare occasion the Scandinavian monarchies of Norway and Sweden) make it onto North American news but it also seems like a fun event, from the gala dinner the Swedes held to this concert. Nobody stayed home because they had the sniffles; recovering from cancer and surgery are pretty big deals in any culture.

i think mette marit's hair looks a lot better with those curls in the bottom part. it softens her traces...

I wish to thank everyone who has contributed articles and pictures about this year's Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, ceremony and concert. Thanks also to everyone who participated in the discussion to make it such an interesting thread.

Bubbette said:
Yes, isn't she the one who said that scientists created AIDS to wipe out black people? I wonder which racist or terrrorist will get the award this year:
"
Kenyan ecologist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, today reiterated her claim that the AIDS virus was a deliberately created biological agent.

"Some say that AIDS came from the monkeys, and I doubt that because we have been living with monkeys (since) time immemorial, others say it was a curse from God, but I say it cannot be that.

"Us black people are dying more than any other people in this planet," Ms Maathai told a press conference in Nairobi a day after winning the prize for her work in human rights and reversing deforestation across Africa.

"It's true that there are some people who create agents to wipe out other people. If there were no such people, we could have not have invaded Iraq," she said.

"We invaded Iraq because we believed that Saddam Hussein had made, or was in the process of creating agents of biological warfare," said Ms Maathai.

"In fact it (the HIV virus) is created by a scientist for biological warfare," she added. "

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200410/s1216687.htm
She claims she did not make those statements….

Part from USA Today article……

But she told The Associated Press that her comments about AIDS being created to destroy Africans were misquoted and taken out of context.

"I have not said what I'm quoted as saying," she said of claims that AIDS was created by scientists and loosed upon Africa by the West.

She reaffirmed her stand in a statement released by the Nobel Committee that said: "It is therefore critical for me to state that I neither say nor believe that the virus was developed by white people or white powers in order to destroy the African people. Such views are wicked and destructive."

Some screen caps from the concert
Unfortunately I only caught the last 5 minutes.
I'll keep my eye open for any re-runs though

Attachments

• a146 copy.JPG
    a146 copy.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 295
  • a147 copy.JPG
    a147 copy.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 260
  • a158 copy.JPG
    a158 copy.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 208
  • a159 copy.JPG
    a159 copy.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 281
Nobel Peace Prize: 2005

The Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2005 is IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) and its director general, Mohamed ElBaradei.

Many congratulations.

Congrats to the nobel peace winners! Oh well, i've been there and done that :) (In my imaginary world):)

So when is the Nobel Peace Prize going to be held? i know its in December but does anyone know when exactly?

Australian said:
So when is the Nobel Peace Prize going to be held? i know its in December but does anyone know when exactly?
December 9th to December 11th.

I understand that part of the Nobel festivities is the annual Nobel Torchlight Parade that goes throught the streets of Oslo. has anyone been to this and if so, what is it like? What sort of things are involved in the parade etc. I have also been trying to find pictures of the parade but unsuccessfully.
Thanks

Last edited:
so it begin...

Polfoto 08-12-2005 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Mohamed ElBaradei arrives at the Oslo, Norway airport Thursday Dec. 8, 2005. ElBaradei, the head of the United Nations' International Atomic Energy Agency, will receive the prize on Saturday.

The hosts this year are Julianne Moore and Salma Hayek. Katherine Jenkins will perform too. Certainly, it will be a beautiful concert :) The musical acts include Gladys Knight, Duran Duran and Sugababes. Other entertainers expected at this year's concert in Oslo include Irish boy band Westlife, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, and Colombian rock star Juanes.

CNN will have an interview with this year nobel peace prize laureate, Mohammed El Baradei on Saturday, 16.00 GMT

btw, is the award going to be broadcast on tv?

congratulations to the laurates!

btw, what did ElBaradei do in order to get the prize?

are the festivities starting tonight? i thought it was tomorrow only and the 11th in sweden.

from nobel.se :

The peace prize is shared (1/2 & 1/2) between International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) founded in Vienna, Austria in 1957; and its Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei, born in Egypt, 1942

"for their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way"

the press release from nobel.se

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2005

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2005 is to be shared, in two equal parts, between the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and its Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei, for their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way.

At a time when the threat of nuclear arms is again increasing, the Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to underline that this threat must be met through the broadest possible international cooperation. This principle finds its clearest expression today in the work of the IAEA and its Director General. In the nuclear non-proliferation regime, it is the IAEA which controls that nuclear energy is not misused for military purposes, and the Director General has stood out as an unafraid advocate of new measures to strengthen that regime. At a time when disarmament efforts appear deadlocked, when there is a danger that nuclear arms will spread both to states and to terrorist groups, and when nuclear power again appears to be playing an increasingly significant role, IAEA's work is of incalculable importance.

In his will, Alfred Nobel wrote that the Peace Prize should, among other criteria, be awarded to whoever had done most for the "abolition or reduction of standing armies". In its application of this criterion in recent decades, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has concentrated on the struggle to diminish the significance of nuclear arms in international politics, with a view to their abolition. That the world has achieved little in this respect makes active opposition to nuclear arms all the more important today.

Oslo, 7 October 2005

the performers for concert at oslo spektrum :

VERTINNER : SALMA HAYEK - JULIANNE MOORE
Artister : SUGABABES - DURAN DURAN - KATIE MELUA
GLADYS KNIGHT - WESTLIFE - YO-YO MA
JUANES - DAMIEN RICE - KATHERINE JENKINS
MADRUGADA MED ANE BRUN - SKA CUBANO
MARTIN YATES OG KRINGKASTINGSORKESTRET

http://www.nobel.no/concert/index.html

For those of you who can't watch the Nobel festivities in Stockholm and Oslo live on TV, the Nobel Foundation always broadcast it live via Web TV. Just go here and watch!

GrandDuchess said:
For those of you who can't watch the Nobel festivities in Stockholm and Oslo live on TV, the Nobel Foundation always broadcast it live via Web TV. Just go here and watch!

thanks, GrandDuchess!

I have a question though, they mentioned the time is CET. what's that in GMT?

That would be 1 hour behind CET.

Yes, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom