Paintings, Cartoons and Caricatures of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
Post pictures of Cartoons, Paintings or Caricatures of the Royal Family here.

2002-The Norwegian artist Haakon Gullvaag has painted several portraits of Queen Sonja.

source: Polfoto

Portraits of King Harald

th_22164_235_Harald5Painting_122_448lo.jpg

sources: Polfoto,saintolav

I must say that the portraits of the Queen it the first post are not very flattering. But I know nothing about art, and I seem to remember reading something about the Queen loving them. They certainly are spesial:)

Last edited:
Valhalla said:
I must say that the portraits of the Queen it the first post are not very flattering. But I know nothing about art, and I seem to remember reading something about the Queen loving them. They certainly are spesial:)

I agree with you.
I first thought it was a "monarchy-hater" :lol: or something like this , who painted this portraits.
Well, it must be modern art. :rolleyes:

It’s okay as long as the model likes her portrait;) .

Are there any Portraits of the other Royals?
Mette-Marit, Haakon or Märtha Louise?

Last edited:
I must say I love the paintings of the Queen, I find them very regal and different (and she is wearing her favourite dress:lol: ) I have seen them up close and really you cannot avoid to look at them, the details does not show well on this small digitall ones. I like it much more than paintings who try to make them look exactly as they do in reall life, like flawless creautures, very boring and often ends up looking kitchy, then you might as well do a photography.

However, the painter first did King Harald and it was major baluba, it even got the front page of the papers (and art reviews dont often make it to the frontpages) The verdict was that he made the King look sick, old and even retarted. It was labelled unworthy, but by the time he made the Queen I guess people gotten used to his style and her paintings were well recieved. they hang in Oslo City Hall.
VG

Gullvåg has also painted pictures of them that hang in the Norwegian embassy in London, the pictures was taken shortly before the King was diagnosed with cancer

aftenposten
VG

Se og Hør carricatures

In the Danish Version of Se og Hør there was a carricature of the Danish Royals every week.
Is it the same in the Norwegian one:question:

I think the portraits of Queen Sonja are very unbecoming, which is unfortunate since she is a lovely lady. They actually remind me a little of the portrait of the naked Duke of Edinburgh with the little plant springing out of his finger. Or the portrait of Diana painted during the last year of her life.

I found this cartoon of the Norwegian RF on the webpage of Dagbladet.
I don't understand a word. Can someone translate it for me?:rolleyes: Thanks!

source;Dagbladet

Her_Majesty said:
I found this cartoon of the Norwegian RF on the webpage of Dagbladet.
I don't understand a word. Can someone translate it for me?:rolleyes: Thanks!

source;Dagbladet

Frame one:
Haakon: You don’t understand…I just want to be Johnny from Stovner.
Märtha: I really understand you, little brother. Let me put it this way:
Ari: It’s hard to be a man, brother. I can feel it here, in my heart.

Frame two:
Mette-Marit: If I only understood what’s bothering him!
The Bishop: I got the impression that he worries about that Mette-Marit video.
Mette-Marit: Oh no!
The Bishop: Oh yes! He is afraid that it would be publicised and ruin the reputation of the royal house.

Frame three:
Sonja: YOUR MAJESTY HARALD THE FIFTH OLAVSSON!!!
Harald: What now?
Sonja: Do you seriously think I should be on the balcony waving in this tomorrow?
Harald: What? Stop testing me, Sonja. I’ve got more important to think about.

It's part of this parody comic book: Blått Blod/Blue Blood in which Crown Prince Haakon, with the aid of a time machine, gets to meet his alter ego, Johnny from Stovner. It's not a very good book, in my opinion, not as a parody, a comic book or a book about royalty. Se & Hør's caricatures of the royal family have more point to them than this.

Are there any more nice (painted) portraits of Norwegian Royals?
Maybe some of the older ones (King Haakon, Queen Maus etc.).
Painted portraits of Norwegian Royals seem to be quite rare. ;)

Or maybe Crown Princess Martha?

Are there any more nice (painted) portraits of Norwegian Royals?
Maybe some of the older ones (King Haakon, Queen Maus etc.).
Painted portraits of Norwegian Royals seem to be quite rare. ;)

queen maud:

Flickr Photo Download: Princesses Victoria, Maud and Louise (flickr - ultimate graphics)

queen maud and her son olav v:

Flickr Photo Download: Queen Maud and her son (flickr - ultimate graphics)

king haakon vii and king olav v:

Flickr Photo Download: Storting (flickr - alex sven)

queen maud:

AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Print Store! (allposters.com)

Love some of them...are there more?

I must say I love the paintings of the Queen, I find them very regal and different (and she is wearing her favourite dress:lol: ) I have seen them up close and really you cannot avoid to look at them, the details does not show well on this small digitall ones. I like it much more than paintings who try to make them look exactly as they do in reall life, like flawless creautures, very boring and often ends up looking kitchy, then you might as well do a photography.

However, the painter first did King Harald and it was major baluba, it even got the front page of the papers (and art reviews dont often make it to the frontpages) The verdict was that he made the King look sick, old and even retarted. It was labelled unworthy, but by the time he made the Queen I guess people gotten used to his style and her paintings were well recieved. they hang in Oslo City Hall.
VG

VG

Around 0:44 in this video, the King says 'unfortunately the paintings portray exactly how we look!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZca1mFaleA&feature=related

New Portraits of the Norwegian Royal Family - Released in January 2011

I hope this is the right place to post it:

New official photographs have been published of Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja and of Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit
kongehuset.no - Official photographs

There are 18 pictures. I especially love the black and white pictures! In the photo where Mette-Marit wears the gown she wore in NY last year she looks like an angel. I am not so fond of the photos of Queen Sonja.

Wonderful pix, especially the one I have cut to create a new avatar, thanks !

I agree that MM looks beautiful in all of these - love all the dresses she chose for this photo shoot! And her hair and her make-up look just perfect. I can't choose a favorite photo of her!

For some reason the one of Harald and Haakon together amuses me, just because they're in the exact same uniform. ;)

The dress Sonja is wearing is the dress she wore for Margrethe's birthday dinner last April. I recall that most posters didn't like it then, either, but apparently she didn't get the memo. I think it makes her look like a wedding cake. :lol: I'm also not crazy about her hair in the formal shots - it looks sort of severe - plus her face looks a little airbrushed. So pretty much a miss on all sides from Sonja. The more casual photos of her are better - the yellow suit is all right, and her face and hair are more natural. The one of Harald and Sonja together by the window is nice. She's starting to look older, but I suppose she still looks younger than 73.

I really like the black and white photos of MM and Haakon. I also really like the picture of MM sitting by the window in the pale pink dress.

Always good to see new official photographs and these are beautiful.

Mette Marit looks stunning!
My favorite is the black and photo of her.

Very beautiful pictures =) I love that Mette-Marit is wearing different dresses. Great that we don't only see one or two photos but so many ;)

I was so excited when I saw these pictures. Mette-Marit looks amazing. I also really love the black and white picture of Haakon. I wish Sonja hadn't that dress, though. I hate it so much. Still, I do really love the picture of her and Mette-Marit together. Two of my favorite ladies.

Great portraits! I especially love the pictures of MM wearing the beautiful soft pink gown. The Queen should haven chosen a nicer dress (but it could also have been worse;)).

Wow...fantastic photos! All the dresses wore by Mette-Marit are amazing but my favourite is the soft pink. I also like the suit that Queen Sonja wore

Mette Marit looks beautiful!!

Great pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom