Enthronement of King Harald V in 1991

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KRK photos

Attachments

• 23Jun1991.H.NRK..JPG
    23Jun1991.H.NRK..JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 4,079
  • 23Jun1991.I.NRK..JPG
    23Jun1991.I.NRK..JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,467
  • 23Jun1991.P.NRK..JPG
    23Jun1991.P.NRK..JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 23Jun1991.Q.NRK..JPG
    23Jun1991.Q.NRK..JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,172
Last edited:
Official Portrait

Attachments

• KONGE3.JPG
    KONGE3.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 12,674
Last edited:
what is these kind of hats that the Queen and the princess have?

Originally posted by Mandy@Apr 16th, 2003 - 4:01 am
Hi Josefine!

I have a few pictures you might like.

thank you Mandy

Originally posted by Josefine@Aug 11th, 2003 - 11:31 am
Hello Josefine,
The hats are called "kokoshniks" or Russian festive head-dresses.

Originally posted by Mandy+Aug 12th, 2003 - 3:56 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mandy @ Aug 12th, 2003 - 3:56 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Josefine@Aug 11th, 2003 - 11:31 am
Hello Josefine,
The hats are called "kokoshniks" or Russian festive head-dresses. [/b][/quote]
thank you for the help
why did they were kokoshniks

I just love Märtha Louise's dress. It's so extremely appropriate for the situation, and the kind of dress every girl probably dreams of.

Originally posted by Josefine+Dec 29th, 2003 - 4:20 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Josefine @ Dec 29th, 2003 - 4:20 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Mandy@Aug 12th, 2003 - 3:56 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Josefine
@Aug 11th, 2003 - 11:31 am

Hello Josefine,
The hats are called "kokoshniks" or Russian festive head-dresses.
thank you for the help
why did they were kokoshniks[/b][/quote]
It is not 100% correct that it is a kokoshniks.
Norway dont crown their king/queen anymore, but they are given somekind of
blessing from the church. There is also no other royal attending this service.
Therefore will the royal women only wear a hat or as the queen and princess a
diadem.

Queen Sonja and Princess Märtha-Louise wore specially designed hats - not diadems. The Queen's hat had the form of a kokoshnik (a traditional Russian headpiece), but this has no further symbolism. As no other Norwegian Queens had been part of this ceremony, Queen Sonja could decide how she would be dressed. The hat was thus designed the way her Majesty wanted it to be desgned.
Both her dress and the hat had pearls sewn onto the fabric.

I believe these dresses were later donated to a museum here in Norway.

Why didn't Haakon wear any uniforms and orders. Strange, since Märtha did. He looked quite "boring", if you know what I mean. He should be dressed in uniforms I think, to match the rest of the family.

Princess Astrid and Princess Ragnhild also wore white dresses like Sonja and Märtha, so there were 4 beautiful white dresses seen that day. Anyone have pics of Astrid and Ragnhild?

Lonemor said:
Why didn't Haakon wear any uniforms and orders. Strange, since Märtha did. He looked quite "boring", if you know what I mean. He should be dressed in uniforms I think, to match the rest of the family.

Princess Astrid and Princess Ragnhild also wore white dresses like Sonja and Märtha, so there were 4 beautiful white dresses seen that day. Anyone have pics of Astrid and Ragnhild?
The reason that Haakon didn't wear any orders or an uniform is that he wasn't 18 years old yet (he turned 18 June 20, 1991, the enthronement was in January if I remember correctly). And to wear uniform and orders you have to be of age. I think the same rule applies for girls and tiaras. And that's why he was "boringly" dressed.

And a little story from the tv-transmitted "pomp and circumstance" service in the Nidaros cathedral, CP Haakon had put his hat underneath his chair and he forgot to bring it with him when he left the service! I remember that it was commented in the media a lot.

No crown, no royal guests... Seems a quite boring enthronement for me.

By the way, Haakon was a cute teenager prince.

Harald's enthronement ceremony took place fourteen years ago today at Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim, on June 23, 1991.

cristine said:
No crown, no royal guests... Seems a quite boring enthronement for me.

The lack of crown/coronation was done in a law from around 1906, where it put an end to coronations in Norway. Hence, no crown. The Norwegian enthronements since then have generally been much more low-key affairs, as, from time to time, there have been an opposition to spending much money on a very glam affair. That was the case with King Olav's enthronement, and since that was the first of them, tradition was somewhat created for the next there.

So when Haakon becomes King this is basically what we will see :)

these are great photos! i'd never gotten to see them before. thanks!

See some beautiful pictures of the Enthronement without watermarks here.
(NRK)

That's true most monarchies have not been crowing their monarchs lately the only monarchy I can think of that still crowns their monarch is the United Kingdom. The king's enthronement would have been exciting if other royals were there.

Last edited:
The Dutch swearing in ceremony is attended by foreign royals, so at least that's one more :)

If there's one country I would like to see re-instate the coronation ceremony it would be Denmark. Being proclaimed from a balcony at Amalienborg just doesn't seem to me (a foreigner who is very familiar with the British system of succession events) all that fitting but of course I recognise it as part of their (the Danes) history.

I'm sure however that when Frederik becomes King that their shall be celebratory events after the mourning period (that's if Denmark has a mourning period?). Still, may that be some years away yet.

Madame Royale said:
The Dutch swearing in ceremony is attended by foreign royals, so at least that's one more :)

If there's one country I would like to see re-instate the coronation ceremony it would be Denmark. Being proclaimed from a balcony at Amalienborg just doesn't seem to me (a foreigner who is very familiar with the British system of succession events) all that fitting but of course I recognise it as part of their (the Danes) history.

I'm sure however that when Frederik becomes King that their shall be celebratory events after the mourning period (that's if Denmark has a mourning period?). Still, may that be some years away yet.

The last two proclamations took actually place from the balcony of Christiansborg. The only time i think it is ever used. King Christian X. was proclaimed from the balcony of Amalienborg but at that time the present Christiansborg was build.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures, I've never seen this. I assumed all monarchies had a grand coronation ceremony.

So basically this ceremony went according to the new King and Queen's wishes because there was nothing for them to go by?
Does this mean when Hakon is "crowned" he and MM will plan how they want the ceremony to be performed??

Dresscode for formal day events

Lonemor said:

The enthronement was a day affair. That means that civilians wear jacquet (morning coat) and military can opt for their uniform.

You can see the same situation every year in The Hague, on Prinsjesdag, which is a day-event as well. It has the same dresscode as during the Enthronement in Norway: uniform and/or jaquet. You see the Prince of Orange always wearing an uniform. His younger brother Prince Constantijn has never joined the military and therefore appears in jacquet.

Another rule is that sashes and breast stars are never worn in a combination with a civilian jacquet. Instead a bâton in the lapels show a minitaure of the Order. Ladies wearing long robes (and no diademes as it is a day event) can wear sashes. You can see it clearly on this picture.

Henri M. said:
The enthronement was a day affair. That means that civilians wear jacquet (morning coat) and military can opt for their uniform.

You can see the same situation every year in The Hague, on Prinsjesdag, which is a day-event as well. It has the same dresscode as during the Enthronement in Norway: uniform and/or jaquet. You see the Prince of Orange always wearing an uniform. His younger brother Prince Constantijn has never joined the military and therefore appears in jacquet.

Another rule is that sashes and breast stars are never worn in a combination with a civilian jacquet. Instead a bâton in the lapels show a minitaure of the Order. Ladies wearing long robes (and no diademes as it is a day event) can wear sashes. You can see it clearly on this picture.

It was meanly because Haakon was not yet 18 at the enthronement ceremony in Trondheim. It took place on 20. June 1991 and Haakonm turned 18 on 20. July 1991.

No any military uniform at the time

Stefan said:
It was meanly because Haakon was not yet 18 at the enthronement ceremony in Trondheim. It took place on 20. June 1991 and Haakonm turned 18 on 20. July 1991.

HRH The Crown Prince only joined the military in 1992, when he entered the Royal Norwegian Navy’s naval recruit training school on board the
KNM Harald Hårfagre at Madlamoen.

The Enthronement took place in June 1991, before any military activity by the Crown Prince.
So the Crown Prince was a civilian and had no any uniform to wear...

:flowers:

SASSY said:
Thanks to everyone who posted pictures, I've never seen this. I assumed all monarchies had a grand coronation ceremony.

So basically this ceremony went according to the new King and Queen's wishes because there was nothing for them to go by?
Does this mean when Hakon is "crowned" he and MM will plan how they want the ceremony to be performed??
The ceremony in question was planned somewhat according to how Olav's ceremony had been - as there was a precedent. Olav's ceremony was mostly created from scratch - but in ways similar to the Coronation ceremony his parents had gone through in 1906.

When the time comes for Haakon and Mette-Marit, I presume that they can alter what they want altered, but at the same time will stick with the general ceremony-structure.

Back
Top Bottom