Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Norway - February 1-2, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia
Lovely start of the visit. I think Mette-Marit is a bit taller than Catherine. I've read somewhere that Mette-Marit is 1,80cm and Catherine is 1,77/1,78cm.
It was nice that Ingrid Alexandra was there to guide them through her park. So sweet! And she is so grown up! A truly lady!

Kate looks taller tham 1,78m to me.

Me too I think Catherine is taller than 1,78. Most NorwayRF are relatively tall.
But, just look at group photos w/Sweden RF, Catherine towered over all of them.

I loved how every member of the Norway Royal Family participated in this visit. What can I say - The more the merrier. The whole family made it such a wonderful event. I cannot get enough of the pictures - all smiles and all. The King, The Queen, and Family so warm and welcoming, they even made me fall in love with The Cambridges.
I do not follow the Norway RF much, but now, I want to follow them more.

No matter where you stand in Norway, the view is amazing. ?

And William finally wore the knitted cap, he must have been presented with when entering Norway.
You mark my words; considering that he is now hair-challenged, that cap will be seen very often from now on! :D

The visit is over, so let's go through it:

Day 1:

The Day-events:

Article from the Royal House:
Official visit from the United Kingdom - The Royal House of Norway

Article from Royal Central:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Oslo – Day 1 – Royal Central

Article from Norway Today:
Ingrid Alexandra shone as a guide for Kate and William
Ingrid Alexandra shone as a guide for Kate and William
The Norwegian princess, Ingrid Alexandra, impressed when she showed the British couple her own sculpture park. Language savvy and confident, she informed about the sculptures.

The 14-year-old has spent several years at the international school, where the day to day language is English. That became apparent when she showed Prince William and Duchess Kate her sculpture park at the Royal Palace on Thursday. When the party, which also included Queen Sonja and the Crown Prince, came out of the Palace after lunch, people were packed behind the barriers.

Prince William and his wife approached them and talked with lots of people, asked where they came from, what they names were, praised outfits and thanked them for their appraisals. It took them almost half an hour to walk the 200 metres to the first sculpture.

The NRK broadcast of the day-events:
Prins William og hertuginne Kate på Norgesbesøk

The offcial dinner at the Royal Palace:

Article from Royal Central:
King Harald quotes “Love Actually” in gala dinner speech for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – Royal Central
His Majesty King Harald of Norway quoted the 2003 film Love Actually during his gala dinner speech last night held in honour of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The quote came almost halfway through his evening remarks when discussing Norway and the United Kingdom.

The text of the King's speech:
Official visit from UK: Official dinner at the Royal Palace - kongehuset.no
Dear William, dear Kate,
I admire the way you carry out your duties, and the way that you support Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. The Queen and I know from our own experience how valuable it is to work together with the younger generation and how important it is to support one another in this rather unusual profession of ours...
And yes, he said Kate (not Catherine).

The text of William's speech:
A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at the Royal Palace, Norway
Your Majesties, I bring warm greetings from my grandmother The Queen to you both and to the Norwegian people. Her Majesty has very fond memories of her three State Visits to Norway, and of hosting visits by Your Majesties and King Olav.

Articles from NRK with google translations:
Dette får de å spise under slottsmiddagen med Kate og William - translation

Kongen siterte «Love actually» - translation

The NRK broadcast of the gala dinner:

The television coverage:

NRK:
Very pro-Norwegian monarchy, pro-Cambridges and pro-Diana, but very anti-Charles.
Talked much about brexit.

TV2:
Very pro-Norwegian monarchy, pro-Cambridges and almost no mentioning of Charles/Diana.
Talked much about brexit.

The ignorance of the media:
Said that Diana started the walkabouts (which is wrong of course).
Said that Diana was the first British royal to do charities (which is wrong of course).
Said nothing about the Prince's Trust.

Some of the other ridiculous things that was talked about:
Said that William was here to learn (from the King) how to be modern.
Said that Charles was too unpopular to come, so the British government sent William and Kate.

Similar to some of the other stupid things they said during 2015, 2016 and 2017:
Criticised QMII and King Carl XVI Gustaf for their christmas/new years speeches and said they should learn from the King.
Said that QMII should ask Queen Sonja for advice on how to have a good marriage.
Said that QEII had learned how to be more folksy by the King.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia
Lovely start of the visit. I think Mette-Marit is a bit taller than Catherine. I've read somewhere that Mette-Marit is 1,80cm and Catherine is 1,77/1,78cm.
It was nice that Ingrid Alexandra was there to guide them through her park. So sweet! And she is so grown up! A truly lady!

Me too I think Catherine is taller than 1,78. Most NorwayRF are relatively tall.
But, just look at group photos w/Sweden RF, Catherine towered over all of them.
I don't think so. I remember reading somewhere before that Mette-Marit is 1,80. And when you look at pictures, Catherine is almost as tall as Mette-Marit, but you can see that she is a bit shorter than her (a very tiny bit), which means Catherine might be 1,78.

Haakon attended in 1995 as a very young Crown Prince the celebrations of the end of WWII in London. On day 2 he sat on the same stand in Hyde Park with the estranged Walses and a mere 13 year old William sat for the outdoor celebrations.
And Haakon was also a guest for the Wessexes wedding in 1999!

Ah you're so right !
So much for KP's press release :lol:

Read about Day 1 (also written this evening in post 95).

Day 2:

Article from the Royal House:
Concluded their visit in crisp winter weather - The Royal House of Norway

Article from Norway Today:
Fairy tale winter meets Kate and William in Oslo
The British Duke William and his wife Kate, were greeted by sparkling sunshine, snowy trees and in the not least temperatures below freezing when they arrived in Holmenkollen on Friday afternoon.

Many winter-clad spectators are also present.

Kate and William arrived a quarter of an hour after plan, wearing sensible winter jackets and winter hats. On the program is a visit to both Ski museum, where the red carpet was rolled out over the snow, the jumping tower as well as the ski jumping hill.

NRK articles with google translation:
«Helsesista»: – Kate og William bidrar til å knuse tabuene om psykisk helse - translation

Skam-skolen: – Det er jo helt sinnssykt - translation

«Skam-Eskild» om møtet med Kate og William: – Alltid gøy å møte fans - translation

William sa jeg hadde varme hender - translation

Kate og William i Holmenkollen i strålende vintervær: – Wow, så vakkert! - translation

Photo-galleries from NRK:
Se publikums egne bilder av møtet med prins William og hertuginne Kate

Prins William og hertuginne Kate i Holmenkollen og Tryvann

The NRK broadcast:

The television coverage:

NRK:
Very pro-Norwegian monarchy, pro-Cambridges and (unlike yesterday) almost no mentioning of Charles/Diana.
The 36-year-old historian Trond Norén Isaksen was one of the experts (he is known for his great knowledge of European royal houses).

TV2:
Very pro-Norwegian monarchy and pro-Cambridges.
TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland was the main contributor (as he was yesterday). He is very pro-monarchy, but he is not afraid to criticise the CP couple or Märtha (if he thinks they need it).

The television coverage and media interest has been enormous here (bigger than it was for Obama in 2009 and almost as big as that for QEII in 2001). - What does that mean? According to Trond Norén Isaksen and professor Jan Erik Mustad, it meant that the charm offensive from the British govenment really worked.

Now I need a break (will be back in a few days).

Last edited:
Take a week if you need it Royal Norway. Thank you for all of your postings and translations before, during and now after the Norwegian tour!:flowers:

As usual, thank you to those who shared the photos and videos of the visit. It was nice to see William and Catherine with the NRF and I like how these two visits have given them a chance to meet more European royals. I hope they will get to do more tours in European monarchies in the near future.
Ingrid Alexandra looks so grown up - she's almost as tall as Catherine now.

Here's a video of HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra with TRH The Duke and Duchess at the sculpture park.

Here's a video from the Gala Dinner at the Royal Palace in Oslo .

Thanks to TLLK and W.Y.CII (and all those who used the thanks button)! :flowers:

Here's a video of TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland who gives Kate two gifts in Holmenkollen:
TV 2s kongehusekspert fikk overrekke gave til Kate - TV2
The gifts was a hand-knitted Norwegian shawl in black and white that has been in Totland's family for many years and a polar bear in crystal from Hadeland glass works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom