Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Norway - February 1-2, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally!!!! Thank God no more Erdem!!

LaRae

Wow! Matte Marit really brought her A game tonight! Fabulous! Catherine also looks good.

It happens rarely but tonight I have to admit that the duchess looks stunning!
I love the dress and the cape.

OMG, The Duchess of Cambridge look absolutely amazing tonight. Every inch a future Queen!

I will continue my live reporting here:

Edit: HM the King will speak shortly.

Edit: Kate is sitting between the King and the President of the Storting (parliament).

Edit: William is sitting between the Queen and the Prime Minister.

Edit: The King is looking a bit frail this evening.

Edit: William started his speech in Norwegian.

Edit Read about the The Banqueting Hall here:
The Banqueting Hall

Edit William concluded his speech by saying "tusen takk" (many thanks).

Edit That was that.

Last edited:
Whoa, I am not liking this look at all. Looks like Elizabeth Taylor circa 1975.

It's gorgeous ..Just saw a pic of how it looks when she's walking. I like retro when it's done right.

LaRae

Catherine just floated to the banquet in her dress. Beautiful!

I must say I find this visit much more interesting than that to Sweden...!

Me too wartenberg.

LaRae

And i find the Cambridges more at ease with the Norwegians. As expected they are obviously quite close ...

I didn't realize they were 'quite close' with the Norwegians.

LaRae

'quite close' with the Norwegians.

Far, far closer in terms of common ancestry, I had thought that only 'mattered' to the older generation but on today's showing i'm not so sure..

All of them seem very at ease with one another. It is a pleasure to see.

Far, far closer in terms of common ancestry, I had thought that only 'mattered' to the older generation but on today's showing i'm not so sure..

All of them seem very at ease with one another. It is a pleasure to see.

Makes you wonder what those Royals are getting up to behind the scenes!

I like it though, it's good to see the various houses interacting with each other.

LaRae

LaRae

I don’t know about William and Kate, but the Queen Mum, The Queen, Charles and Anne are all very chummy with the Norwegians.
Princess Anne is Haakon’s godmother, for example. And Haakon and Mette-Marit were one of few royal guests at Charles and Camilla’s wedding. I also believe that the Wessexes and the Gloucesters are close to them.

Sweden was more informal. The Norwegians really rolled out the red carpet for W&K. That is understandable: compared to Sweden, Norway is a less "powerful" country (in geopolitical terms) and a visit from British royals is a bigger deal.

LaRae

According to KP, W&K had never met MM and Haakon before. They had met Victoria and Daniel at the royal wedding in London, but didn't know them well.

King Harald and Queen Sonja are considered "close" to Queen Elizabeth II. I don't think they had any relationship with W&K.

In terms of degree of kinship, Harald is Elizabeth's second cousin, while Carl Gustaf is a third cousin (not that much difference then). Carl Gustaf's predecessor in the throne of Sweden (king Gustaf VI Adolf) had two British wives, so he was a quite overt anglophile. His first wife was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and his second wife was Prince Philip's aunt, I think.

Last edited:
Well at least William met Haakon and MM at his father's wedding back in 2005 :eek:

As I said, the Palace's press release said they had never met. Probably they were not introduced to each other at the aforementioned wedding.

What a brilliant day. Kudos all the way around. I think Sonja is the most lovely 80 year old I have ever seen. Princess Ingrid Alexandra is such a stunner and has such presence - already. I really enjoy the way Haakon and MM chat one another up when they are hanging back in photos - it just makes my day.

I have two general questions someone may be able to answer:

What is the decoration on the bowl that the Norwegians gifted to the Cambridges? I can't make it out. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/01/16/48CBAC2300000578-5338761-image-a-314_1517502983940.jpg

In the group picture at the Royal Palace - what is depicted on the wall art behind the company? I mean - where is that supposed to be? It's beautiful. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018...o_s_Royal_Palace_for_-m-200_1517496090518.jpg

EDIT: It's the Bird Room in the Palace and the peak on the left is the Myrhorn.

Last edited:
King Harald and Queen Sonja are considered "close" to Queen Elizabeth II. I don't think they had any relationship with W&K.

Isn't Sonja supposed to be one of Elizabeth's closest friends?

I don’t know about William and Kate, but the Queen Mum, The Queen, Charles and Anne are all very chummy with the Norwegians.
Princess Anne is Haakon’s godmother, for example. And Haakon and Mette-Marit were one of few royal guests at Charles and Camilla’s wedding. I also believe that the Wessexes and the Gloucesters are close to them.

Don’t forget that the late king Olav , Harold’s father was a grandson of TM king EdwArd and queen Alexandra. He spent a lot of his youth in England and from what I read was very close to his grandmother and the late King George VI.

Sweden was more informal. The Norwegians really rolled out the red carpet for W&K. That is understandable: compared to Sweden, Norway is a less "powerful" country (in geopolitical terms) and a visit from British royals is a bigger deal.
I don't think I agree with you (not a big surprise, since we Norwegians like to think highly about ourselves).

1. Did we roll out the red carpet for W&K? Not more that we had done for other royal official visits. - And as professor Jan Erik Mustad said on NRK yesterday: The Brits need us as much as we need them.

2. In geopolitical terms? As I wrote in post 32 (very detailed BTW), the Sweds were just as informal during the Danish CP coople's visit.

Isn't Sonja supposed to be one of Elizabeth's closest friends?
According to TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland (he is known to be very reliable):

The King and Queen is close (if we can call it that) with Charles/Camilla and Anne. - How? By somtimes spending time with them personaly.

Are they close whit QEII? Not very, but they meet her somtimes for tea (as QMII also does) when they are in London.

The only royal person who really is a close friend of them is QMII.

But back to the visit:

Today's program:
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess accompany Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on a visit to Hartvig Nissen Upper Secondary School and a meeting with students and the cast of SKAM (10:10).

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess accompany Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on a visit to the Ski Museum and the Holmenkollen Ski Arena (14.00).

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess accompany Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Øvresetertjern (Øvreseter lake) for out-door activities with children and kindergarten visit (14:45).

Live link from NRK:
NRK LIVE

Live link from TV2 News Channel:
TV2 LIVE

Live link from VG:
VG LIVE

I will posts more articles and information about yesterday and today after the Cambridges leave Norway.

Last edited:
Well at least William met Haakon and MM at his father's wedding back in 2005 :eek:

Haakon attended in 1995 as a very young Crown Prince the celebrations of the end of WWII in London. On day 2 he sat on the same stand in Hyde Park with the estranged Walses and a mere 13 year old William sat for the outdoor celebrations.
And Haakon was also a guest for the Wessexes wedding in 1999!

Here's a video of the King,Queen and Royal family with the Duke and Duchess at the Royal Palace.

Back
Top Bottom