Death & Funeral of HH Princess Ragnhild (9 June 1930 - 16 September 2012)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was so shocked to know about this! My sincere and deepest condolences to King Harald, Princess Astrid and the rest of the Norwegian Royal Family, may God grant her eternal rest :easter:

Oh, sad news for the Norwegian Royal Family. My condolences!

Condolences to her husband, children and grandchildren (and to siblings of course)

Very sad news

Such sad news! My condolences to the family and the people of Norway. Have we heard what she died of?

How sad to hear of this news, my condolences go out to king harald and princess astrid and tge rest of the norwegian royal family and ragnhild's childen and grandchildren. RIP princess ragnhild.

How very sad, my condolences goes out to King Harald, Princess Astrid, her husband, kids and the rest of the family. May she rest in peace.

Always sad when someone passes, but she got her wish . . . that she would not live to see Mette-Marit as Norway's Queen.

Princess Ragnhild lived a fairly long life and one I hope she'd have been content with.

Madame Royale said:
Always sad when someone passes, but she got her wish . . . that she would not live to see Mette-Marit as Norway's Queen.

Princess Ragnhild lived a fairly long life and one I hope she'd have been content with.

She really said that? I'd never heard. What an unkind thing to say.

Nevertheless allowances must be made for the opinions of old age. My condolences to the family.

Yes, the late Princess was certainly not backward in coming forward and gave an interview with TV2 some years ago pronouncing her dissaproval over the marital choices of both Haakon and his sister.

In an attempt to damage control, her respective husband tried to get the network to edit the interview at length.

Nevertheless allowances must be made for the opinions of old age. My condolences to the family.

Yes she said it in a tv interview. Actually she was voicing her disapproval of the marriages of both of her brothers children. It was said at the time that she was under the influence of alcohol and that her husband tried to prevent the interview from airing.
Having lived for decades outside in Brazil she was perhaps unaware of how much things had changed in her home nation but it was still a rather impolite comment for the kings sister to make about her niece and nephews spouses given that her brother and the government had approved the marriages.

Oh what sad news :sad:

My heart goes out to her family - may she rest in peace!!

I don't really think this is the time to be annoyed about her interview several years ago. Aside from it being rather ill-mannered to speak ill of someone at the moment of their death, I also think it's unfair to Ragnhild in general to judge her whole life by that one comment. It may not have been a nice thing to say but I think we've all said things we regret, and everything else I've ever read about Ragnhild made her sound like a warmhearted and generous person who was happiest out of the limelight.

I'm sorry and shocked to hear of her death - I didn't know she was ill. Condolences to the family in Brazil, Norway, and the US (I think her daughter's family is in LA).

Where will she be buried? In Rio de Janeiro or in Oslo?

How sad! RIP and my thoughts go to the Norwegian Royal family.

I don't really think this is the time to be annoyed about her interview several years ago. Aside from it being rather ill-mannered to speak ill of someone at the moment of their death, I also think it's unfair to Ragnhild in general to judge her whole life by that one comment. It may not have been a nice thing to say but I think we've all said things we regret, and everything else I've ever read about Ragnhild made her sound like a warmhearted and generous person who was happiest out of the limelight.

I'm sorry and shocked to hear of her death - I didn't know she was ill. Condolences to the family in Brazil, Norway, and the US (I think her daughter's family is in LA).

Who's speaking ill of her? There is nothing "ill mannered" by speaking of a person in accounts which are accurate. I'm not judging the Princess' whole life as you state, rather, I made an observation. A comment which Ragnhild stated herself - that she did not wish to be alive at the time of her nephew's accession. A comment which has come to fruition.

As I already stated, the passing of a person is always sad and she has left behind a husband and three children who will be joined in mourning by a brother and a sister and their respective families.

Quite impressive that a princess, any princess, should have had a 540 000 km² coast named in their honour (the coast is in Antarctica).

Last edited:
How sad for the Norwegian royal family. My condolences to them.

May she rest in peace,Princess Ragnhild of Norway I believe was in poor health for sometime.

Such sad news.
My condolences to all her family

She did indeed say that...it was much quoted and printed. I hope she was able to heal her relationships within her family before she died.

How sad. Princess Ragnhild was controversial at times but it always seemed to me that she was an integral part of the family. I remember a clip of her with Queen Beatrix and King Harald, directing the photographs being taken. Say what you like, the woman had a style all her own. RIP Ma'am.

According to this article: Prinsesse Ragnhild er død - VG Nett om Kongehuset princess Ragnhild had been ill for some time, and due to that she couldn't visit Norway for the 75th birthdays of Harald and Sonja. Her husband have visited Norway a couple of times during the last six months, but only for short visits before hurrying home to his wife.

:previous: who was she? The elder sister of King Harald and Princess Astrid and the the daughter of the late King Olav and Crown Princess Martha.

Last edited:
The late Princess Ragnhild was with the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte the last Princesses of the Scandinavian Royal Houses.
Princess Astrid is now the only survival Princess of the Houses of Sweden, Norway and Denmark (the late Princess Axel)

Back
Top Bottom