Christmas with the Norwegian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomorrow (thursday) Queen Sonja will have an official engagement - maybe the photoshoot will be on friday....

another article about Queen Sonja's christmas visit to the hospitalwith a nice picture gallery at the bottom
Kronprinsesse mette-marit - Kronprinsen ble stand-in - Seoghør.no Kongelige
Google Translation

CP Mette-Marit was too ill to attend the recording of the NRK program "Julemorgen". But instead Princess Ingrid Alexandra was accompanied by her father CP Haakon.
Kronprinsesse mette-marit - Kronprinsen ble stand-in - Seoghør.no Kongelige
Google Translation

Its a pity the Crown Princess was ill,I hope she's feeling better.

How lovely to see Marius attending and what a handsome young man he is.

Here’s a link to a video of The Crown Prince and Princess Ingrid Alexandra at Julemorgen:NRK Super | Se prinsessen i Julemorgen! It’s not airing until tomorrow, but it’s already online. I hope it’s available outside of Norway.

I though she handled herself very well! She was open, sweet and very candid. She didn’t seem shy as she often does in public with many people around here. It was nice to hear her thoughts about royal life and other things.

I’ve translated most of it for you all:

About the pre-Christmas days: PI: says they’ve spent time before Christmas wrapping gifts and preparing food. CH: we’ve been enjoying the days especially when it’s calmer without the rush.

About traditions they do every year: PI: Gift calendar, kept out in the hall. She got a kinder egg the first day. The Crown Prince asks what the most boring thing she has received is and she answers a pair of socks and a hals (I’m not sure what this is called in English, but it’s something children wear around their necks when it’s cold (not a scarf, but it does the same job). CH: they get things they actually need in the calendar too. PI: Boring!

They got questions from viewers as well.

Is it fun to be a royal? PI: Yes, sometimes it’s very fun, other times it’s pretty boring. For example what I think is very boring is photo-shoots. When one are sitting and sitting and sitting, without taking the perfect photo, and they make adjustments and adjustments. And my little brother Magnus he’s not able to sit still. So first we’re sitting, and then that picture isn’t perfect and then Magnus runs off and we have to get him and start all over again. CH: Last time it went very well. And we have to do that from time to time.

Do you get tired waving on May 17: It’s not that we get tired from waving precisely, but I and Magnus are allowed to go inside about half way in because it can get cold…it’s not tiring to wave, but it’s tiring to stand there just watching. CH: It can take quite a long time. But it’s also a nice time and May 17 is a special day with many happy people walking pass you, and that’s nice. It’s not many countries that do as we do, so it’s a special day.

What do you like best for dinner? PI: Lots of different things, sausages, I’m fond of meat and soups. CH: tomato soup.

What’s it like being a princess at school? PI: At school, what do you mean? Presenter: Are treated as everybody else or do get a red carpet rolled out for you? PI: I’m treated as a regular girl and I’m not certain that everybody recognizes me either because I’m just like everybody else and everybody treats me as if I am like everybody else. So in reality I am a normal girl, and when I was younger I didn’t even know that I was a princess.

What do you want to do when you grow up? PI: I want to a Crown Princess.
What’s your favourite subject at school? PI: Math and art.

Do you have many servants? PI: No, no one. CH: we are lucky; we do have people who help us with different things. PI: but we don’t have servants really, they don’t like being called servants for certain! CH: Have you done that? PI: Yes!

Aww, Ingrid seems like a delightful, very self possessed little girl! That's a pretty impressive thing for a girl her age to do, even given that she's used to the spotlight.

Here’s a link to a video of The Crown Prince and Princess Ingrid Alexandra at Julemorgen:NRK Super | Se prinsessen i Julemorgen! It’s not airing until tomorrow, but it’s already online. I hope it’s available outside of Norway.

I though she handled herself very well! She was open, sweet and very candid. She didn’t seem shy as she often does in public with many people around here. It was nice to hear her thoughts about royal life and other things.

About the pre-Christmas days: PI: says they’ve spent time before Christmas wrapping gifts and preparing food. CH: we’ve been enjoying the days especially when it’s calmer without the rush.

About traditions they do every year: PI: Gift calendar, kept out in the hall. She got a kinder egg the first day. The Crown Prince asks what the most boring thing she has received is and she answers a pair of socks and a hals (I’m not sure what this is called in English, but it’s something children wear around their necks when it’s cold (not a scarf, but it does the same job). CH: they get things they actually need in the calendar too. PI: Boring!

Is it fun to be a royal? PI: Yes, sometimes it’s very fun, other times it’s pretty boring. For example what I think is very boring is photo-shoots. When one are sitting and sitting and sitting, without taking the perfect photo, and they make adjustments and adjustments. And my little brother Magnus he’s not able to sit still. So first we’re sitting, and then that picture isn’t perfect and then Magnus runs off and we have to get him and start all over again. CH: Last time it went very well. And we have to do that from time to time.

Do you get tired waving on May 17: It’s not that we get tired from waving precisely, but I and Magnus are allowed to go inside about half way in because it can get cold…it’s not tiring to wave, but it’s tiring to stand there just watching. CH: It can take quite a long time. But it’s also a nice time and May 17 is a special day with many happy people walking pass you, and that’s nice. It’s not many countries that do as we do, so it’s a special day.

What do you like best for dinner? PI: Lots of different things, sausages, I’m fond of meat and soups. CH: tomato soup.

What’s it like being a princess at school? PI: At school, what do you mean? Presenter: Are treated as everybody else or do get a red carpet rolled out for you? PI: I’m treated as a regular girl and I’m not certain that everybody recognizes me either because I’m just like everybody else and everybody treats me as if I am like everybody else. So in reality I am a normal girl, and when I was younger I didn’t even know that I was a princess.

Do you have many servants? PI: No, no one. CH: we are lucky; we do have people who help us with different things. PI: but we don’t have servants really, they don’t like being called servants for certain! CH: Have you done that? PI: Yes!

Princess Ingrid Alexandra seems like a charming little girl! It was lovely, I think that we should hear more interviews like this from royal children. I like the fact that at school they treat her like a normal pupil, and that they don't make a fuss about what food she should eat, her lessons, classmates etc. Thank you for sharing. :flowers:

It's the first time I've heard Ingrid talk and her voice is exactly as I'd imagined it to be. She's such a sweetheart, very articulate, and Haakon is just so incredibly handsome :wub: I love Norse, it sounds so beautiful (and I understand much more than when I listen to Swedish :ROFLMAO:).

The Crown Prince asks what the most boring thing she has received is and she answers a pair of socks and a hals (I’m not sure what this is called in English, but it’s something children wear around their necks when it’s cold (not a scarf, but it does the same job).

Thank you for your translation/recap :flowers: Could it be a tube scarf? Or a "halsedisse" (what it's called in Danish, have no idea how it would be translated to English whatsoever :p

You’re all welcome :)

Some other things I didn’t mention in my first post:

The first sock puppet we see, the grey one with brown hear is called Sokkit and is made by the Princess (all guests bring one). Sokkit pretends to know the Princess well and answers some questions about her, but the Princess says all her answers are wrong. So her favourite candy is not sour feet, her favourite sport is not football and she does not want socks for Christmas.

The other sock puppet which suddenly appears wants to know if the Princess has seen her on television before and is overjoyed when the Princess says yes. Then she asks for a hug from the Princess and PI says yes, of course you can get a hug. CH: says it’s only nice hugging when the puppet asks for a hug from him as well.

The Princess said playing the gift-throwing-game was fun, but difficult as the reindeer was moving along fast making it hard to throw and hit the right chimney.

About bloppis and miljøagentene:

Presenter: you didn’t have a garage sale at the Palace, you used the internet didn’t you? PI: I sold my dresses and other things at bloppis.no. We looked through them and mum put them online. Presenter: And from that you raised money to give to an organisation. Which organisation? PI: Miljøagentene (environmental agents). Presenter: Why them? CH: It’s good organisation, they do a lot of good work and we think they are great, and that’s why we want to give the money to them.

In the end when they give the check to the children representing Miljøagentene the Princess receives a gift. She reads the note on it, says she will read the card later and starts opening the present which is a grey cap with a heart on it made from a sweater.

In the very end they all sing the Julemorgen-song! A well known song for Norwegian children.

Thank you for your translation/recap :flowers: Could it be a tube scarf? Or a "halsedisse" (what it's called in Danish, have no idea how it would be translated to English whatsoever :p

Yes Archduchess Zelia a halsdisse is what the princess mentioned she got. And there are some videos at kongehuset.no (and youtube) where we can hear the princess talk.

I didn't know the words the were saying but Haakon's body language and his allowing her to speak first made it seem like her respects her and treasures her. It was really nice to see

You’re all welcome :)

Yes Archduchess Zelia a halsdisse is what the princess mentioned she got. And there are some videos at kongehuset.no (and youtube) where we can hear the princess talk.

The photo in the halsdisse link shows what is called a dickie in English

Thank you for the translation. She seems like a delightful little girl and I do wish I could have understood the language. But, the translation helped so much.

The photo in the halsdisse link shows what is called a dickie in English

Thank you for translating! Had no idea what the English word for it was, it's not a word you throw around in just an average conversation :p

I can't watch the video on my tablet & I can't understand why, it's in Norwegian. Darn

Ingrid is such an awesome girl. Lovely. :flowers:
Thanks for the translation!

Lovely to see them.... how likeable they look !

What a unpretentious child! Lovely. I love the faces she makes; reminds me of my god-daughter LOL. Haakon is such a lovely and attentive dad (and what a sexy voice to along with the rest)

thanks^^

i really like Ingrid Alexandra's coat!!
will the Family have a Christmas photosession this year? last year's photosession was after the church service or a day later, i cant recall!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom