Christmas with the Norwegian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really love the advent videos we are getting from Sweden and now Norway. And the peeks we get from the Danish royals as well. Its nice when the royals give us a small glimpse of their personal holidays, not just a posed photo shot.

Yes, those candles definitely have been used.

Sverre seems a bit quieter/more reserved. He didn't really chime in until the end.

I really love the advent videos we are getting from Sweden and now Norway. And the peeks we get from the Danish royals as well. Its nice when the royals give us a small glimpse of their personal holidays, not just a posed photo shot.

Yes, those candles definitely have been used.

Sverre seems a bit quieter/more reserved. He didn't really chime in until the end.

I agree. The Covid-19 crisis did give us more of a look into the daily lives of the royal families; including in this time of advent.

N.B. The family consistently uses 'Magnus' to refer to Sverre Magnus and 'Ingrid' for Ingrid-Alexandra (including in this video).

I agree. The Covid-19 crisis did give us more of a look into the daily lives of the royal families; including in this time of advent.

N.B. The family consistently uses 'Magnus' to refer to Sverre Magnus and 'Ingrid' for Ingrid-Alexandra (including in this video).
The Prince was never "Sverre Magnus", or even "Sverre" to his family. These names are only used by some Royal Watchers who don´t know or the media.
Sverre-Magnus and Ingr.-Alexandra are only used in an official capacity.

The Prince was never "Sverre Magnus", or even "Sverre" to his family. These names are only used by some Royal Watchers who don´t know or the media.
Sverre-Magnus and Ingr.-Alexandra are only used in an official capacity.

Per my recollection, none of the double names used in an official capacity are used inside the family, where they are simply Mette, Magnus, Märtha, and so on.

Last edited:
Per my recollection, none of the double names used in an official capacity are used inside the family, where they are simply Mette, Magnus, Märtha, and so on.

the question is why the give double names at all then and not do it like other royal Families where also only the Main name is used officially.

the question is why the give double names at all then and not do it like other royal Families where also only the Main name is used officially.
If Norway is anything like Sweden it's not unusual for people with double names to unofficially go by one of them or a version of one of them. For instance I went to school with two Lotta (Ann-Charlotte), my dad is called Janne (Jan-Åke) and there was also a Johnny (Count Carl-Johan Bernadotte).

A question. Why are the Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian royal families showing pictures and videos of Sundays Advent? I know they celebrate it, but we never saw such exposure in the last few years. Is it because of the pandemic?

A question. Why are the Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian royal families showing pictures and videos of Sundays Advent? I know they celebrate it, but we never saw such exposure in the last few years. Is it because of the pandemic?

I'm not from those countries but I have seen an increase in people talking about the advent wreath or advent candles in general on social media. Particularly variation of the themes of each candle being Hope, Peace, Joy, Love.

I would imagine it's an easy way to bring a small celebration of light into a very dark time for many people, and a way to connect when they aren't doing many of the other traditional festive activities we might see at this time of year.

The Scandinavian royals have always been good about letting us have a view of their private Christmas celebrations. Even if just decorating the tree. And then we see them in public at this time of the year. Even if not advent lighting.

I think they have made an extra effort this year, due to covid limiting any public contact and celebration to share more of their holidays with us.

The advent symbolism is also a great one to share in this dark holiday season.

Yes that's possibly a reason and plus there won't be any carol services or Christmas concerts to attend this year.

Last edited:
Thank you all for answering to my question ;)

Thanks for the video. So lovely and beautiful. Ingrid Alexandra looks so mature, stunning hairstyle. She sure speaks very fast, perhaps she was nervous.

I think, speaking a bit faster than normal is just her way of speaking.

Lovely video and photos of the concert; good to see it still went ahead. What is Norway's situation with Coronavirus at the moment?

Ingrid Alexandra was very confident when speaking to me, she didn't sound nervous at all. It was nice to see her speaking - I don't think she's done so before.

"This year, the King and Queen will spend Christmas Eve and the first day of Christmas with their children and grandchildren at Skaugum," the Norwegian Court has announced. "The royal family places great emphasis on complying with both the national and local infection control rules."

"Christmas is approaching with the hope of time to be with family and friends, even when it is cold and dark.

The Royal Family enjoys being outside, and here is a look back at some of the Royal Family's pre-Christmas moments."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW0NHJvIJbU/

"In keeping with tradition, gingerbread is baked both at the Palace and at Skaugum before Christmas.

Gingerbread is one of the best things about Christmas, and over the years, the Royal Family has taken pictures of both their own baking and great gingerbread gifts.

Both at the Castle's kitchen and at Skaugum, the cakes are baked according to a traditional recipe."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXGU238ItjF/

I hope the Royal family will not invite the Shaman on the Christmas Mass as they unfortunately did 2 years before !

if the question has been asked before I apologize
when do you think the royal family will be sending out there Christmas pictures they usually do ?

Merry Christmas from the Royal Family!

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=200404&sek=26939

"King and Queen will stay at Bygdøy royal estate this Christmas and they celebrate Christmas Eve with the Crown Prince's family at Skaugum. The Crown Prince's family will be present at the Christmas service in Asker church on the afternoon of Christmas Eve"

"King and Queen will stay at Bygdøy royal estate this Christmas and they celebrate Christmas Eve with the Crown Prince's family at Skaugum. The Crown Prince's family will be present at the Christmas service in Asker church on the afternoon of Christmas Eve"

thanks for posting this :) great picture of the Royal Family !

Reactions: eya
Wonderful photo of the Royal Family,the queen is dressed very festive ;)

I hope the Royal family will not invite the Shaman on the Christmas Mass as they unfortunately did 2 years before !

I disagree. Whatever he may or may not be he his their daughter’s long term committed significant other, a major factor in their granddaughters lives and not some passing fling. He needs to be treated with some thought and consideration.

Here's another photo of the photo session focussing on Ingrid Alexandra only:

** Pic ** vg.no article: Kongefamiliens coronajul **

Is Marius passing the holiday season with his father's family? Or with his partner's family?

Magnus appears to be taking after his older brother with his hairstyle.

Back
Top Bottom