Annual County Visits: 2018 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All nice looking ships. However, my favourite is the Dannebrog in looks and love her interiors. I especially love the way the Royal family use her.
She is a home away from home.
Yes, but it should be mentioned that the NRF use The Royal Yacht Norge as much as the DRF use Dannebrog. ?

The Regent/CP Couples use her for their annual county-visits, for other visits and engagements around the country - and for private trips/cruises.
She's also used during the King's sailing competitions, and is on disposal to the private use of Princess Astrid.

And Dannebrog before this beauty for a Norwegian like me? NOOOO WAY (although all Danes in their right minds will of course disagree with me).

Here are some videos of her: 1 - 2 - 3

And here's a photo from the Queen's 70th Birthday in 2007, when our Danish friends came to visit

Well, this was it for my babbling of royal yachts, at least for now.

--------------------

It seems day 3, the final day today, started a bit rainy:

** Pic ** Cute welcome ceremony (video) ** Instagram photos ** ppe gallery ** ppe gallery 2 **
Avsluttet i Stavern - kongehuset.no - translation

--------------------

Summary of the visit:
Large crowds, enthusiastic people, mayors who are proud to showcase their municipalities - and a CP Couple on their best behavior, taking their time with children/elderly, eating apples and talking positively to the press.
So, mission accomplished.

Media-coverage:
Well, the CP Couple are in a very (almost surprisingly) good period when it comes to the media at the moment. - With news-anchor and TV2 journalist, Elin Ludvigsen, even describing them as ''vårt kjære kronprinspar'' (our dear CP Couple) live on TV2 News Channel. She and TV2's royal expert, Kjell Arne Totland (who was so excited that he nearly fainted), reported live from Vestfold during most of the engagements.

But how long will it last this time?
Because we have to remember that they were in a good period after the Regent Couple's 80th Birthday Celebrations last year as well (although not at the same level as we see now), until they messed it up for themselves again.

So my advice to them is:
1. Stay away from your politician-friends.
2. No more whining about the press when it comes to Marius.
3. And Haakon, for God's sake, not use the court's money on organizations/conferences such as Global Dignity and SIKT. - Because it does nothing more than to stir up journalists and MPs in the Storting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, are we ready for another County-Visit, yes we are!

Because this year, Their Majesties The King and Queen will travel to Hordaland county (English Wikipedia article - link), where they will visit five municipalities with The Royal Yacht from 18-20th of June.

The programme translated by me:

June 18th:
Jondal municipality (English Wikipedia article - link) 10:00 - 11:30.

Odda municipality (English Wikipedia article - link) 16:15 - 17:30, in addition to a dinner in the evening.

June 19th:
Granvin municipality (English Wikipedia article - link) 10:00 - 11:30.

Ulvik municipality (English Wikipedia article - link) 15.30 - 16.45, in addition to a dinner in the evening.

June 20th:
Askøy municipality (English Wikipedia article - link) 10:00 - 11:40.

And in contrast to previous years, the court hasn't gone so much in detail. But according to the various municipalities, The Regent-Couple will be met by the mayor/police-chief on each dock, before being taken to a so-called ''people's party.'' There they will be shoved four ''themes'' important for each municipality (yes, I wrote and meant ''themes,'' not items), followed by a speech from the mayor, entertainment from school students, speeches by either The King or Queen and meetings with young people, veterans and the elderly, etc.

Hmm, are there more? Yes, because to my GREAT disappointment they will, as usual during these visits, hold a press meeting.

Why is that a disappointment? Well, let's see:
The media: Some have asked for Märtha to renounce her title, what do you think?
The King: That title only means she is our daughter.
The media: But is it right for her to use it commercially?
The King: She's our daughter and we love her.
The media: How was the meeting with Durek?

And then we have it going.

BTW, my guessing of what HM is going to say is taken from what he has previously said about the title-stuff.

Another thing to mention is that Scanpix has changed its publishing policy. Yes, now it's only the media that is allowed to see the newest photos, we others OTOH have to wait for 30 days, making it extremely difficult to follow this visit.

Well, at least there is Instagram and Facebook. The press can't control what is posted there, - in this vain rearguard action.

They are bound to get these questions anyway, so they might just as well get it over with.

I find it interesting there is no detailed schedule. Because the Regent Couple are getting older and more frail and as such it's a good idea to leave room for cancellations and improvisations?

Well, at least there is Instagram and Facebook. The press can't control what is posted there, - in this vain rearguard action.
We will, of course, get plenty of photos from the Royal House-website, but after the court hired some new web-people to the Communication staff, it usually *takes a while* before those articles are published/updated.
But Norwegian television will be closely on it with their own teams following the Royal Yacht in boats behind, so I will survive, ''I hope.'' ?

They are bound to get these questions anyway, so they might just as well get it over with.
Hmm, IMO, much better to have cancelled the whole press meeting, than having The King standing there defending her. Should just have waited to ''The year with the Royal family'' program in December, when everyone has distanced themselves a bit from it. And even better, there the interviewer will most likely be either Nadia Hasnaoui or Atle Bjurstrøm. Both very pro-monarchy in their styles, who (as they've done previously) will ask the questions *very, very, very, very* carefully. LOL.

I find it interesting there is no detailed schedule. Because the Regent Couple are getting older and more frail and as such it's a good idea to leave room for cancellations and improvisations?
Again, down to the new web-people! It's the same with The Crown Prince's foreign travel and inward state visits. I.e. the programme isn't published in The RH-calendar before a day in advance or sometimes not at all.
And when it comes to The Regent-Couple's age/frailty (especially The King with his leg/back problems), the schedule is, as you can see in the above post, already downsized to a minimum. Yes, they will only spend about 75-90 min attending one event at each place.

The King and Queen have arrived in Jondal municipality this morning, June 18:

** kongehuset: Fylkestur til Hordaland **
:whistling:

This is a beautiful sight
https://www.kongehuset.no/aim/konge...d70a5d0a17a46454e.jpg/Scale?geometry=920x943>

from yesterday, the kid greeters looking on
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9V5Y4pW4Agu9fl.jpg:large

The King and Queen look in top form

and video from today
https://www.instagram.com/p/By455wJIlgl/
Thanks! :flowers:

BTW, The Norwegian Royal House article from yesterday is updated with several photos, including one of The Queen hugging a little girl.

And polyesco, although posted today, that video is from yesterday's visit to Odda. ??

Day 1:

Large crowds, excited children, adults and journalists; yes, what more can you ask for. And Their Majesties (with their folksiness and good people-skills) couldn't have been on a better form.

Jondal (English Wikipedia article in post 32):
On the dock, they were met by the two 8-year-old flower-children, Jarand and Julia, before travelling by car to ''the people's party'' at Juklafjord recreation area. There, The Regent-Couple visited four stalls that provided insight into both local food production, boat-building and the tourism industry. Yes, The King and Queen even got a taste of ''lefse'' (read about what that is here - link).
BTW: Jondal is an important gateway for visitors to Folgefonna National Park (English Wikipedia article - link). And Her Majesty could point out a number of places (on a model over the area) she herself had visited.

But back to the people's party: Because, following a speech from Mayor, Jon Larsgard; students from Jondal school entertained with choral-singing, bands, dance and reading. And in the visit's first royal speech, The Queen thanked for the warm welcome and praised the beautiful nature she and The King had experienced through the Hardangerfjord with The Royal Yacht, saying: ''For many people, these unique surroundings are the very image of our country. And that is easy to understand, especially after our tour through the Hardangerfjord with The Royal Yacht this morning.''
She also had stories to tell from her own trips to Folgefonna and the surrounding area, before saying that ''there are many who visit the national park, which is an important part of the business-base in Jondal.'' HM also pointed out the responsibility of protecting the resources: ''Through the effect of being part of a larger world, one is also reminded about climate changes. We all notice it - partly because our glaciers, like Folgefonna, are melting. That we also experience the changes through increased race and flood danger, emphasizes the joint responsibility we have to preserve the resource-base that we are going to live of also into the future.''

--------------------

Odda (as with Jondal, English Wikipedia article in post 32):
On their arrival at the dock, The Regent-Couple were met by Odda Music-team, who played the song "Norway in Red, White and Blue" (which is the three colours of our national flag). Their Majesties then traveled by car to the main street where they took a short walk along the crowds while at the same time learning more about the place. That was followed by a ''people's party'' in the Almerke-park with choral-singing; speeches from Mayor, Roald Aga Haugand and author, Frode Grytten (who grew up in Odda); before The King himself took to the podium. His Majesty said: ''You were hit hard in 2014 (by floods). The Queen and I felt deeply with you when it was on its worst. We admired your courage and way of coping with the adversity. Managing the rescue work while standing and looking at the fact that one's own house collapses and sails away, that requires great strength. And Civil Defence Chief, Knut Granheim (he and his family lost their house) had this strength, that terrible day in October 2014. He - and many with him - deserve honour for their valiant effort.''

After the speech, Their Majesties got to hear in detail about that dramatic day - and about the work to secure the town against new floods in the river ''Opo.'' They also met the Granheim family (mentioned above). Then it was time for a break on The Royal Yacht, before attending a dinner in the evening at ''Tyssedal Power Station'' (English Wikipedia article - link).

--------------------

Media-coverage: Live from the events on TV2 News Channel, news-clips on NRK and several local articles.
And as usual, all of the outlets have covered The Regent-Couple in a positive and pro-monarchy way.

Another thing to mention is that the former editor and political commentator of the Liberal conservative national newspaper Aftenposten, the 63-year-old Harald Stanghelle (known as Republican and Haraldlist) is currently spending his time on The Royal Yacht after invitation from the court.
Why? Because he is currently working on a book project (not a biography, he says) which will include several interviews with The King. And asked about it yesterday, he described the conversations with the charismatic and folksy monarch as ''veldig perspektivrike og givende'' (very rich on perspective and rewarding).

Well, that was it, or was it? No, of course not: Because in an interview with NRK, The King was asked about Märtha's commercial use of the princess-title and the *dialogue The Crown Prince said he wanted with her back in May,* to which HM said: ''På nåværende tidspunkt kan vi ikke si hvor langt vi er kommet i dialogen. Men vi *forsøker* å få til en ordning.''
''At present, we cannot say how far we have come in the dialogue. But we are *trying* to get to an arrangement'' (yes, I wrote ''arrangement,'' not agreement).
Hmm, so she has finally gone a bit too far now, even in daddy's eyes.

And when he was also asked whether this had been a bothersome issue for the royal family? He said: ''Nei, egentlig ikke.'' (No, not really).

''Forsøker/trying''? Yes, they are probably trying to get her to not use the title commercially. - Which won't be so easy I think, especially when one takes what she has previously said about it into consideration.

-------------------

Yes, that was it! But I will be back tomorrow when I go through day 2 and 3.

BTW, here is a photo (from yesterday) of an 82-year-old beauty, still going strong (link).

Thanks, Royal Norway. ?

Yes, the Norwegian word "ordning" is interesting.
To me this smells like a they are working on a written agreement on when, in what context and how she can use her title.
We are talking layers at work here. Probably with the politicians in the shape of senior civil servants) looking over the shoulder.

And that they are not in agreement...
Which to me suggests that ML is not at all pleased with being told what to do in regards to her title!

- Couldn't she simply break completely free from her "royal box" methinks?

Been busy with something, but here we go:

More crowds, smiling faces, and a King and Queen on top form.

Day 2:

Day 2 started in Granvin municipality today, June 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** kongehuset: Kongeparet i Granvin **

Granvin (English Wikipedia article in post 32):
After arriving on the dock, Their Majesties travelled by car to ''the people's party'' at Granvin-village-area where they met with people from the farming-industry, Granvin Youth Council, the tour-team, the shooting-team; and the arm wrestling-team, who demonstrated their skills to a ''very interested'' Regent-Couple. Afterwards, it was time to be entertained by some adorable singing 4-6-year-olds, traditional folk music (which they got to learn more about BTW), some history about the municipality, and in-between, speeches from Mayor, Ingebjørg Winjum and The Queen. HM said: ''Thank you so much for the warm welcome The King and I have received here in Granvin! And the wonderful weather you’ve taken the chance on. Not a tent! You are optimists, and that’s good.

Sailing with The Royal Yacht into Hardanger itself is one of the most beautiful things I can imagine. It's *therefore* (she didn't said ''therefore,'' but it sounds better in English) not surprising that Johan Christian Clausen Dahl, Adolph Tidemand and Hans Gude (Norwegian painters) found inspiration for some of their most famous motifs right here. Think so lucky we are - living in this country!''

(BTW: Hardanger is a traditional district in the western part of Norway, dominated by the breathtaking Hardangerfjord, and which consists of seven municipalities, four of which have been visited during this trip. Read about it in this English Wikipedia article - link.)

She also said: ''Granvin knows how to preserve its distinctive character in several ways. Like the Havaas Collection - this important documentation of botanist Johan Havaas' great and important work. We look forward to seeing the collection later today (they did it after the entertainment ended).

Such initiatives require that there are someone *who wants to* (take the initiative, she means). One aspect that touches us on our travels around Norway is the great activity of various teams and associations. I don't think we're fully aware of which glue this is for our small and large communities until we possibly lose them. Therefore, it's so good to see - and so important to preserve - the diversity of teams and associations that exist also here in Granvin.

*pause*

When I find myself on the trail, that is named after me, up from *Kinsarvik* (the administrative centre of the neighbouring municipality of Ullensvang ), I sense Granvin behind (the mountain) *Oksen* (the ''Ox'' in English) - and it can be alluring to any hiker. The hiking trails and nature in Hardanger have caught my heart! Here are endless possibilities along the fjord and at *Folgefonna* (which I wrote about in my previous post) and all the places around! You are lucky to have these opportunities. I hope you will focus on mapping out to the public these treasures you possess - so many can enjoy them! Take good care of them - and on each other!''

--------------------

Ulvik (English Wikipedia article in post 32):
From the dock, The Regent-Couple travelled by car to Hjeltnes gardening school for yet another ''people's party.'' There, they got to hear about farming, fruit cultivation, cider-production (yes, they even got a taste of it) and tourism, which was followed by music and song from school children, a speech from Mayor, Hans Petter Thorbjørnsen; and one from The King himself, who said: ''The Queen and I have been looking forward to coming to Ulvik on our county tour in Hordaland. Because here it's beautiful!

[...]

Agriculture and fruit cultivation, cider-production and tourism create a good basis for living in Ulvik - like many places along the fjord (yes, I could have written ''like many places along the fjord'' first in the sentence or put the word ''other'' in, but not what he said). You can see it as soon as you come here, and we got to see it up close when we drove *the fruit and cider route* (read more about it in English here - link). In modern agriculture in Ulvik, cider-production has created the basis for continued operation on farms that otherwise might have become too small for traditional farm operations. This testifies to creativity and the ability to think new (better said in English as ''shows creativity and the ability to think about new things'').

Ulvik is a small village, innermost in the fjord - but attractive to a whole world. Ever since the 19th century, tourists have come here by boat, on the road, on foot or on skis. Tourism is still important, and the potential may be even more important. Ulvik’s history gives you an advantage in meeting new times. [...]''

After the speech: Hjelnes gardening school has the only education in Norway for ''tree planters,'' so The Queen was, therefore, asked to plant an oak tree there as a reminder of the visit. Then it was time for a well-deserved break, before attending a dinner (hosted by the municipality) at Brakanes hotel in the evening.

--------------------

Day 3:

Today, June 20, King Harald and Queen Sonja paid their visit to Askøy municipality:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** kongehuset: Kongeparet besøkte Askøy **

** nrk: Kongeparet om vannkrisen på Askøy: – Noe av det mest alvorlige vi kan oppleve ** translation **

Askøy (English Wikipedia article in post 32):
After their arrival on the dock, The King and Queen drove by car to ''the people's party'' at Herdla museum, where they first got an orientation about the so-called ''water-scandal.'' Yes, this month, Askøy was hit by a water pollution that affected more than 2,000 people. 76 of them (16 children and 60 adults) had to be hospitalized, while two people are believed to have died from it (a one-year-old child and a 72-year-old woman).
Read more in this English article-series (link).

Then it was time for some entertainment from school children and artists, history-telling about the municipality, meetings with the elderly and veterans, and in-between, speeches from Mayor, Terje Mathiassen and The King. HM said: ''The Queen and I visit you under very special circumstances. Not having clean drinking water is one of the most serious issues we as individuals and as a community can experience. The crisis you have been through and experiencing now puts a whole society to the test.

We have followed what has happened on Askøy, and we feel with you. We can only imagine your insecurity and frustration. We understand your concerns and pain.

We almost don't understand that you have time for our visit. We know how much work and worries that lies behind. And that you have other and very important things to do.

Therefore, we give thanks for being at Askøy, together with you - also in this situation. It's nice to be able to stand here and meet so many of you, and it's been great to sit in front of the stage and experience some of the diverse cultural life you have to offer. [...]''

The visit was then concluded after Their Majesties:

1. Got the chance to meet people from Askøy business-association, The Eco-agents, The Volunteer-central and The Healthy life-central.
2. Gave a press meeting, where the journalists were free to ask what they wanted. But nobody (no, NOBODY) asked about Märtha. Yes, pretty strange, especially after what The King said in the NRK-interview during the visit's first day (see post 38).
But I think the media was more interested in talking about the water-stuff, to which His Majesty said he and The Queen had ''offered to cancel the Askøy part of the trip, but the municipality wanted'' them ''to come.''
Why? Because many had prepared and looked forward to it, and the Mayor didn't want ''to give people even more disappointment.'' Another aspect was that it might help raise the spirit; and that it did, I mean people down there were totally blown up with excitement just by getting a little glimpse of them. LOL.
3. Gave a reception aboard The Royal Yacht for representatives from the 5 municipalities they had visited.

:previous: No more space to write in the previous post, so let's continue here:

Some information about The King's speeches:

The New Year's Eve Address, The Stortings-dinner speech, speeches during royal jubilees and events of tragedies (such as the 2011 attacks): Written by HM himself with some input from his Private Secretary since 1994, the 62-year-old theologian, Knut Brakstad.
And as I've written in other threads, The King has received a lot of media-praise over the years for many of these speeches, some of which have even been described as ''inspirational.''

Speeches during outward/inward state/official visits: Written by the court (with some input from The King) in close cooperation with the Foreign Ministry.

Speeches during county visits and other visits around the country: Written by the court with input from The King (or The Queen, when she is the one giving them).

And although I have translated several quotes from this year's county-visit-speeches in both this and my previous post, one can read them in full here with google-translate:
1 (translation) - 2 (translation)
3 (translation) - 4 (translation)
5 (translation).

--------------------

Media-coverage: Pretty much the same as I wrote in post 38. But what I forgot to mention is that TV2's Royal Expert, the 74-year-old, Kjell Arne Totland is currently taking a break this summer. Yes, the very knowledgeable, detail-oriented and *suuuuper pro-monarchy* guy I have written about in several other threads, although he has never had any problem voicing his opinion when there is something he doesn't agree with. - Including Märtha's commercial use of her princess-title, which he has been ''highly critical'' of for years.
And I must say it's been very ''weird'' not seeing him on my PC/TV screen since early May, where he pretty much is every week, but he has reassured people that everything is fine and that he will be back for Ingrid's confirmation in August.

--------------------

Thanks, Royal Norway. ?

Yes, the Norwegian word "ordning" is interesting.
To me this smells like a they are working on a written agreement on when, in what context and how she can use her title.
We are talking layers at work here. Probably with the politicians in the shape of senior civil servants) looking over the shoulder.

And that they are not in agreement...
Which to me suggests that ML is not at all pleased with being told what to do in regards to her title!

- Couldn't she simply break completely free from her "royal box" methinks?
You're welcome! :flowers:

No, and we are talking about a woman here, who has said (live on television) that it will be ''fake'' to not use her title when working (i.e. commercially), because that will mean she must ''hide a part of her life.'' Yes, IMO, her way of saying, then I won't make as much money as I do now.
And therefore, she is probably not going to do this the easy way.

How cynical of me, someone may think? Hmm, not when you consider how she's behaved in the past.
Have written about it several times before BTW, including a few sentences in post 207 in the ''Märtha & Durek'' thread, and will write more about it there in the coming days.

No, and we are talking about a woman here, who has said (live on television) that it will be ''fake'' to not use her title when working (i.e. commercially), because that will mean she must ''hide a part of her life.'' Yes, IMO, her way of saying, then I won't make as much money as I do now.
And therefore, she is probably not going to do this the easy way.

How cynical of me, someone may think? Hmm, not when you consider how she's behaved in the past.
Have written about it several times before BTW, including a few sentences in post 207 in the ''Märtha & Durek'' thread, and will write more about it there in the coming days.

Weeell, count me among the cynics too.

In my eyes it's unashamed hypocrisy.
She has been going on ad nauseam about how she did not feel well inside the "royal box" and how she didn't feel she belonged in the family.
If that isn't hypocrisy I'll change my name here on TRF to Meyer von Himmelstoss.

The Crown Prince couple on the way for the three day county visits

"Then we are ready for county tour in Oppland ���� If you want to see who we meet on tour then you can follow @detnorskekongehus ❤️ Today there are great opportunities to see musk on Dovre ��"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2gYk93CSAH/

"Lesja municipality was the second stop on the county tour today. The municipality is at the very top in terms of volunteering, so what was more natural than attending the dawn at the Lesja Bygdemuseum?

The Crown Prince couple piled on and got to try life-baking in the fireplace. Crown Prince Haakon also got to see beautiful Lesja church, where 50 children sang for him."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hLZCSoBt-/

Last edited:
The Crown Prince couple on the way for the three day county visits

"Then we are ready for county tour in Oppland ���� If you want to see who we meet on tour then you can follow @detnorskekongehus ❤️ Today there are great opportunities to see musk on Dovre ��"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2gYk93CSAH/

Shaman Durek comments on the photo “Love this of you both. Miss you. Hugs from London.”

thank you for the pictures really like seeing this couple !

Lovely pictures of the Royal couple, great to see the Princess out and about.
thanks for posting these pictures Iceflower.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Harald and Queen Sonja started a county visit to Møre and Romsdal today, August 30. They will visit five of the county's municipalities: Fjord, Sykkylven, Vanylven, Sande and Hareid. The visit will conclude on September 1 with a reception on board the Royal Yacht Norway where they will stay during the tour:

** kongehuset: Starta i turistkommunen Fjord **

** seher.no video: Kongen i storform: - Forrykende tempo **

** fjt article: Kongeleg besøk: Stiller med flagg og barn, musikk og kultur, folk og taler – og forhåpentlegvis godt vêr **

Last edited:
https://norwaytoday.info/news/norwa...ion-to-the-problems-that-lead-to-high-prices/

[...]

When they met the press at the quay in Sykkylven, they were also asked questions about the electricity crisis and inflation.

“We have to be united about it, and then it will probably go well. But I don’t have any solution on how to do it. At the moment, nobody has, I think,” King Harald pointed out.

[...]

But he has some tips on how to save money on electricity.

“Turn off lights you don’t need,” the king said when he was asked about saving tips on Tuesday.

Queen Sonja also shared some advice.

“I have lived in Switzerland for two years, a long, long time ago. There, they saved on electricity all the time. You only had one light in each room, and you showered once a week. We are flooded with light and warmth,” she said.

[...]

Back
Top Bottom