Was King Baudouin really in love?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will be crucified for this question - why...if she knew this, why would a devout, pious woman do this to an unborn life and jeopardize her own life? Determination and courage? Maybe her thoughts on the subject, but I actually do not understand that line of thinking. She was human though, but just somewhat selfish on her (and her husband's) part.

We have to remember also what it was like for devout Catholic women during the time period that Fabiola would have gotten pregnant and miscarried in. It was an explicit no no to take any form of birth control and I don't think it would have crossed her mind to even think of any alternative solutions to avoid future pregnancies.

In fact, the first oral contraceptive was created by a Belgian and according to this information, it was first introduced in Belgium in 1965. Regardless of this breakthrough though, I don't think Fabiola would go against her religious beliefs for any reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nand_Peeters

Last edited:
I think it was Soraya, who wanted the divorce. The Shak, in accordance with muslim tradition, would have been fine with just marrying a second wife, but that was unacceptable to Soraya. So the two case really can't be compared.

Also, the line of succession was secure because with Prince Albert's children. Although it is understandable that monarchs prefer to be succeeded by their own child, this is not necessary for the continuation of the monarchy.

Indeed, there are plenty of examples of monarchs who were not succeeded by their children, especially in the past when women could not succeed and medical care was primitive by modern standards.

I will be crucified for this question - why...if she knew this, why would a devout, pious woman do this to an unborn life and jeopardize her own life? Determination and courage? Maybe her thoughts on the subject, but I actually do not understand that line of thinking. She was human though, but just somewhat selfish on her (and her husband's) part.

First of all, she was a Queen and, in a way, she had a duty to try to produce an heir. Second, I'm not an expert in religious ethics, but I would be very surprised if trying to have a child were considered sinful by the Catholic Church or considered a way of intentionally putting another life in risk.

I thought it was after her 5th miscarriage is when Fabiola found out she had an abnormal uterus.

That actually restores my faith in her as a devout Catholic. As medical technology was not that advanced in the 60's, this bit of info makes perfect sense..if only technology would have been advanced enough for her not endure such tragedy...really I feel sad for her.

That actually restores my faith in her as a devout Catholic. As medical technology was not that advanced in the 60's, this bit of info makes perfect sense..if only technology would have been advanced enough for her not endure such tragedy...really I feel sad for her.

For me, their story is so bitter sweet - a true love story - not just all good. It had triumph and tragedy and all wrapped up in two humble and devout people who loved their country. :flowers:

This about wraps it up as to whether they loved each other

Last edited:

I am not speaking of birth control, but an ultrasound performed to diagnose the abnormality of her uterus and then a hysterectomy done to avoid any further tragic miscarriages.

I am not speaking of birth control, but an ultrasound performed to diagnose the abnormality of her uterus and then a hysterectomy done to avoid any further tragic miscarriages.

Although ultrasound was first used in 1956, it wasn't common to be used in OB/GYN medicine until later. I had all 3 of my kids in the 70s and didn't have an ultrasound with any of them. Its most likely that ultrasounds were not readily available at the time Fabiola became pregnant and subsequently miscarried.

To this day, the Roman Catholic Church still has strict guidelines on what is allowed and not allowed in these matters too.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...cfaith_doc_31071994_uterine-isolation_en.html

Its amazing to think how in such a short span of time (at least to me) how far medical science has advanced.

Last edited:
Don't know about his step-mother but I'm sure he did love Fabiola. Didn't she tried to convince him to get an annulment so that he could marry again and have a heir but Baudouin categorically refused? If that's not a sign ot true love...

Yes, this same biographer(Michelland) reports that Fabiola urged her husband to apply to the Vatican Rota for an annulment of their marriage after the premature birth of a baby girl, stillborn in 1966. Baudouin refused to even consider it, even though I don't think the Holy See would have denied him an annulment if he had really wanted one.

The entire situation for them was one of profound sadness. Paul Belien, author of "A Throne for Brussels", writes that each of Fabiola's pregnancies was a "personal Calvary" for her because word would always spread that she was expecting again and each time tons of gifts and congratulatory telegrams would arrive at Laeken from all over Belgium and Europe...then she would lose the baby.:sad:

The uterine malformation was not discovered until Fabiola went secretly to Switzerland for painful and risky fertility treatments in late 1967. These treatments helped her conceive her final pregnancy, which she of course miscarried. Before the Swiss gynecologists made the definitive, doomed assessment of her condition in 1968, she had no idea about why she couldn't have a baby so I disagree 100% that she was being selfish. She was desperate to fulfill her duty and became a bit obsessed imo...imposing harsh penances on herself and visiting places purported to have miraculous fertility effects...shades of Russia's last Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.(Paul Belien, A Throne for Brussels/Guy Michelland, La Reine Blanche)

Thank God poor Fabiola had no RASPUTIN whispering in her ear at Laeken Palace!

Periodicals and tabloids like Jours de France, Paris Match, and Point de Vue were constantly speculating that the marriage was over..that Fabiola would retire to a Spanish convent and that Baudouin would take a new wife.

Instead the couple drew even closer and more devoted to one another.

ETA: The Royal couple did briefly consider adoption in the late 1960's after Fabiola's final miscarriage in Feb 1968. The understanding was that the child would not have been in the line of Succession, and that the then eight year old Philippe Duc de Brabant was still going to be the "official" heir.

For reasons I am not sure of, they were discouraged from adoption by certain of the king's advisors.

Last edited:

Wow, I'm surprised that a hysterectomy would seem to be a good solution here for any reason, but then I saw the link that Osipi posted and was a bit surprised to find out that the Catholic Church still technically doesn't approve of things like tubal ligation (then I remembered that I know someone who got stuck in a bad situation because of that rule). I feel so sad for Fabiola and the fact that she wasn't able to have a child (as I do for anyone who has to deal with that), but also because of all she had to deal with due to the fact that she was royal (e.g. even adoption would be difficult in such a situation).

Wow, I'm surprised that a hysterectomy would seem to be a good solution here for any reason, but then I saw the link that Osipi posted and was a bit surprised to find out that the Catholic Church still technically doesn't approve of things like tubal ligation (then I remembered that I know someone who got stuck in a bad situation because of that rule). I feel so sad for Fabiola and the fact that she wasn't able to have a child (as I do for anyone who has to deal with that), but also because of all she had to deal with due to the fact that she was royal (e.g. even adoption would be difficult in such a situation).

I do not speak for the BRF, but a hysterectomy was more than likely performed after her condition was realized by Dr's, no birth control would put her life and any future pregnancy at risk yet again. To me that had to be reason she was never with child again after her condition was realized. This scenario to me is the reason, no other one would explain why she never conceived again.

Although ultrasound was first used in 1956, it wasn't common to be used in OB/GYN medicine until later. I had all 3 of my kids in the 70s and didn't have an ultrasound with any of them. Its most likely that ultrasounds were not readily available at the time Fabiola became pregnant and subsequently miscarried.

To this day, the Roman Catholic Church still has strict guidelines on what is allowed and not allowed in these matters too.

CONCERNING "UTERINE ISOLATION" AND RELATED MATTERS

Its amazing to think how in such a short span of time (at least to me) how far medical science has advanced.

I so agree with you. There is a new book released about the heartbreaking drama surrounding the premature birth and subsequent death of 2 day old Patrick Bouvier Kennedy-born to President JFK and Jackie Kennedy in August 1963 (Patrick Bouvier Kennedy: A Brief Life That Changed the History of Newborn Care auth. Michael S. Ryan)

This was just over 50 years ago, and the only thing that could be done for a preemie born 6 weeks early in respiratory distress was to watch him/her die...even if its' parents were one of the most famous and influential couples on the planet at that time.

Historically speaking the 1960's was last month, but in terms of medical advances the 60's might as well be the Middle Ages.:sad:

Last edited:
That is just something that would have been something very private between Fabiola, Baudouin, her doctors and as much as I've read on their deep devout Catholic faith, most likely would have involved the Church. Don't quote me on this but I believe there were/are times when special dispensation was granted with the Church's permission and absolution of wrongdoing when a medical condition would be so severe. As devout as the couple was, I don't think they would have gone ahead with the procedure without the Church's permission

Its most likely something we will never know or to be honest, its something we don't really need to know. The main point is that through all of that heartache, where it would and could have torn the couple apart, it served to bring them even closer together.

Last edited:
Its most likely something we will never know or to be honest, its something we don't really need to know. The main point is that through all of that heartache, where it would and could have torn the couple apart, it served to bring them even closer together.

Yes, this last paragraph is so true. It's not for us to know. It doesn't really matter. The beauty of their story is in how they lived their lives through good and bad times.

:twohearts:

The biographers never explicitly stated that a hysterectomy was performed after the 1968 miscarriage, but from reading between the lines I agree with NotHRH that that is what is very likely to have happened in order to protect Fabiola's life AND to admit that it was hopeless.

Fabiola went into a period of seclusion after the final miscarriage, probably to grieve and resign herself to the fact that she really never was going to be a mother. She celebrated her 40th birthday quietly that June of 1968, and she did not accompany Baudouin to the wedding of his cousin King Harald to Sonja Haraldsen in August 1968.

There was a lot of gossip and speculation in the tabloids about it(Fabiola's no-show at the wedding) at the time, but Fabiola was probably still in seclusion/mourning.

But when she did emerge she is said to have had a new vibrancy and outlook on life.

Last edited:
I don't know if the story is true, but it is a different situation when your husband is the king and the country needs an heir (after all, monarchy is still a hereditary institution).

Fabiola's case is not unique in royal history though and there were cases of annulments in the past based on the argument that the queen could not conceive. I just think that would have looked odd in the 20th century.

Of course cases are very different. But it would still be the most painful move to go for an annulment of a wedding one believes to be valid only to remarry to get an hair. When people marry in our days, and royals are no exception, they are in love and want to be parents with their dear spouse.

Women who desperately try to have children can do things who would seem weird to everyone else. I don't blame Fabiola at all, for the day I am told there is a choice to be made between the child and me, I am not sure I will choose my health before the child as this child may be our only child. Wanting desperately to become parents and not be given this is the most painful a couple can get through, except loosing a child.

Back
Top Bottom