The Snow Princess: Queen Astrid of Belgium, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Furienna said:
I don't know anything about Alexandra of Luxembourg, but I guess she's Astrid's granddaughter?

Great-granddaughter. Josephine-Charlotte was her daughter, which would make Henri her grandson. So his children, including Alexandra, are her great-grandchildren.

Very nice photos, which brings to mind that she wasn't a beauty in the classic sense of the word, but her personality, character and inner beauty shone from within! I think it is all from her mother Princess Ingeborg of Denmark who gave her and her siblings a good, happy uncomplicated upbringing.

She had such incredible eyes...And I agree that she was rather charming than beautiful. I noticed that women of that time period had all smth in common. And it is not just haircuts or clothes..just some expression in face, in eyes...in whole how they looked. I can see smth in common in her with my great-grandmother. Though they lived so far away and were so different socially.

Last edited:
I think this video is precious! I really enjoed it- thanks for sharing!

It is 72 years to the day today since HM died in the accident in Switserland.The Royal crypt at Laeken will be open to the public today.

laeken

Courtesy Mardam's wonderfull site!

Recently, I read a book written by Count Folke Bernadotte, world famous diplomat and member of Sweden's Royal Family. In one part, he mentioned that he went to Belgium for a conference in 1946. The subject of Astrid was then brought up:

"What I remember most about this journey is the way in
which the name of Queen Astrid is still so much alive
among the Belgian people. As a Swede, this gave me a
feeling of happiness and pride. I knew her very well
as a little girl in Sweden. I remember her as a very
shy and reserved young girl. It is quite amazing that
from the moment she came to her new country, she could
show such an unusual capacity for winning the hearts
of the Belgian people through her charm and kindness.
I, for my part, do not think it improbable that if she
had lived, she could, through her winning personality,
have prevented the Belgian royal problem from becoming
so acute and from reaching such a precarious state as
was the case. Queen Astrid was truly popular in the
best sense of the word. This young woman's deeds are
proof of what a person full of goodness and with a
genuine desire to do her best can accomplish. It is
also undoubtedly due to her that the Belgian people
think so highly of Sweden today. The Swedish people
have every reason to be very grateful to her for what
she has done: her services benefited not only the
Belgian people but also her own country."

From the book "Instead of Arms".

Thanks for posting that, DennisM, a nice quote indeed. And even today she is still popular among the (older) Belgian royalty watchers. I remember seeing a woman on television once who had an entire room dedicated to Queen Astrid. And each year at the crypt people put flowers on the day she died.

The cross of remembrance at the exact spot of the tree,and the Queen Astrid Memorial chapel,Küssnacht.
http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/switserland/kussnacht/tree.jpg

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/switserland/kussnacht/chapel1.jpg

Memorial of Queen Astrid in the park behind the Notre Dame de Laeken,just outside the Laeken Castle park walls,
http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/belgium/brussels/1905 Astrid-1.jpg

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/belgium/brussels/1905 Astrid-2.jpg

Courtesy the extraordinary extensive site of Mardam.

Thanks for posting that, DennisM, a nice quote indeed. And even today she is still popular among the (older) Belgian royalty watchers. I remember seeing a woman on television once who had an entire room dedicated to Queen Astrid. And each year at the crypt people put flowers on the day she died.

You're welcome. Her popularity continues among the Belgians. Thank you for the photos, Lucien.

Thank you for the pics, Lucien. But what sad ones...Queen Astrid is a remind of how a good Queen must be. She is still beloved by Belgian people (even if the youngers never knew her), and I suppose will be.

But how sad the way she died...:cry:

Vanesa.

Queen Astrid

Hi!

I found this forum whilst googling for information on Queen Astrid of Belgium.

The reason I was looking for information was because I had picked up an old postcard in a junk shop and wanted to know who she was.

I'm not much of a Royal fan, I must confess, so I doubt I will spend long here.

But in appreciation of the information I found here in these forums I thought I would join up for the purpose of sharing the picture postcard with you, as I am sure it will be of interest.

astrid.jpg

The cross of remembrance at the exact spot of the tree,and the Queen Astrid Memorial chapel,Küssnacht.
http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/switserland/kussnacht/tree.jpg

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/switserland/kussnacht/chapel1.jpg

Memorial of Queen Astrid in the park behind the Notre Dame de Laeken,just outside the Laeken Castle park walls,
http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/belgium/brussels/1905 Astrid-1.jpg

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-countries/belgium/brussels/1905 Astrid-2.jpg

Courtesy the extraordinary extensive site of Mardam.

These are all very beautiful. How different things would have been if she had not died so young and tragically.

Thanks for providing the photos.

As a member of the Swedish royal family, in what religion would Astrid have been raised? Did she convert to Catholicism to marry into the Belgian Royal family?

As a member of the Swedish royal family, in what religion would Astrid have been raised? Did she convert to Catholicism to marry into the Belgian Royal family?

Astrid was raised in lutheran faith, she was still a few years married when she converted to Catholicism in the beginning of the 1930th

Thank you, jinigirl. Then I suppose that she and Leopold were married in two separate ceremonies, Lutheran and Catholic?

No not really, the wedding in Sweden was a civil one, although technically a civil wedding does not excist in Sweden. The religious one was the one in Brussels, although it didn't had the complete Roman-Catholic liturgy, as Princess Astrid hadn't converted at that time. She did promise to raise any child that was to be born in the marriage in the Roman-Catholic faith. That meant that Joséphine-Charlotte, Baudouin and Albert were all baptized roman-catholic, so they all received Roman-Catholic godparents (Joséphine-Charlotte had Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg and her uncle Charles; Baudouin had his grandfather Albert I and princess Margrethe of Danmark who married prince René of Bourbon-Parma and Albert had Prince Félix of Luxembourg and Queen Elisabeth).

As Joséphine-Charlotte grew older she also became educated in the Roman-Catholic faith and she started to say an evening prayer with her gouverness. At that point Princess Astrid started to think about converting. She found it strange that she didn't have the same faith as her husband and child. Make that last one plural because at that time she was pregnant for the second time. So she decided to convert and did so somewhere in August 1930, just before she gave birth to Baudouin in September 1930.

oh She looks like a real beauty and a sweet pearson, and i hope that the story of the real love between she and the king where true, because thats so beautifull. i the story in the beginning was charming, and as a romantic i ask for something like that. and should being so sad for the king leopold that accident, i really don't know how he felt after that. so sad.

Astrid Sophie Louise Thyra Bernadotte Queen of Belgium, Princess of Sweden

There's a group made about this queen on facebook.
With old pictures, links, films and interessting news.
The name of the group is:
Astrid Sophie Louise Thyra and is made by me.
Kind regards
Deezy

There's a group made about this queen on facebook.
With old pictures, links, films and interessting news.
The name of the group is:
Astrid Sophie Louise Thyra and is made by me.
Kind regards
Deezy

Could Astrid speak French and Dutch?? How could she communicate with people otherwise? English perheps?:flowers:

She probably studied French as a girl. I don't know if she learned Dutch though.

Hello everyone! I want to ask somethig.The queen astrid she died in where way, where circustancias.

Garbo, the first page of threads explains about the accident especially the first thread with the portion of an article from Arturo's wonderful European Royal History Journal. Kasumi could have said the same, but a bit more in polite terms. Kasumi, when you use capitals, it's the equivalent of shouting in computer terms and I don't think you meant that. :)

King albert will attend a mess on 29/08/2010 in the "Astrid Kapel", Küssnacht in Switserland in remembrance of the dead of Queen Astrid, 75 years ago.

:belgiumstandard:
It is 75 years to the day today that HM Queen Astrid was killed in the accident at Küssnacht,Switserland.

HM King Albert II and Members of the Royal Family will attend a Remembrance service at the Astrid Chapel,Briquemont,this afternoon.

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy ANP

Lucien , I started a thread on the RF : Queen Astrid of the Belgians passed away 75 years ago.

Hi All,

I'm writing a novel based on Astrid for an English assignment, it has to be around 20-25,000 words. It is set when she was between the ages of 15 and 21 years. My questions include:
-Where did she live as a child
-When did she meet Leopold
-What languages did she speak
-How old was she when she met Leopold.

Thank you soooooo much!!:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom