The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Courtier

C'est du Belge, the royalty program of the Belgian TV channel (french speaking) dedicated a piece of this weeks program to Queen Astrid
Regardez en vidéo les émissions de La Une
It begins around 28:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredspal View Post
Hi All,

I'm writing a novel based on Astrid for an English assignment, it has to be around 20-25,000 words. It is set when she was between the ages of 15 and 21 years. My questions include:
-Where did she live as a child
-When did she meet Leopold
-What languages did she speak
-How old was she when she met Leopold.

Thank you soooooo much!!
She lived in Sweden in Stockholm and in Fridhem. Fridhem is now a business center I believe (google it, you'll certainly find it).
She and Leopold met at some balls in the autumn of 1925 and then again in spring 1926 in Sweden when Queen Elisabeth and her son were holidaying there.
She was born in 1905 so she was 21 years old.
She spoke swedish and english when they met and they spoke english together.
She learned first French then Dutch after her marriage.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessshacha View Post
Could Astrid speak French and Dutch?? How could she communicate with people otherwise? English perheps?
She learned Dutch here in Belgium and she didn't found it hard to learn it.
With te French language she had problems, She didn't spoke it often.
In the beginning she spoke with Leopold English.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Nobility

Queen Astrid was killed in a motor accident 75 years ago on the 29th august 1935. Her son King Albert II (who was only one at the time of his mothers death) attended a service at the scene of the accident at kussnacht Switzerland to commemorate the event........

Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

What a lovely, enchanting woman she seems to have been! I can only imagine the trauma the accident cast over her family and the Belgians..I was very moved just watching that video.

I wish I could find an English biography of her....
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Queen Astrid and childern
Elegant Astrid 1 - Elegant Astrid 2
Astrid and Leopold
Arrival in Belgium
Astrid and Leopold
Astrid Leopold and childern
Astrid Leopold and Childern

Dead Of Astrid

1 - 2 - 3
Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
Isn't there a resemblance to Mathilde in this pic? I know they're not related but something in the face and deportment.......

Thanks for the thread, I didn't know much about Queen Astrid before, but will be on the hunt for more info now!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissP View Post
Isn't there a resemblance to Mathilde in this pic? I know they're not related but something in the face and deportment.......
I can see a slight resemblance too. However, there’s a stronger resemblance between Queen Astrid and Princess Elisabeth imo. It’s especially obvious while looking at childhood pictures of Astrid. And Elisabeth is also looking a bit like her great-aunt GD Josephine-Charlotte in her childhood days.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Gentry

Hello everyone. I came across a remarkable memorial tribute by Astrid's parents talking about the loss of their daughter, particularly in relation to Leopold being the driver. I haven't seen this around here and I hope it's not a re-post. Happy weekend.
''When we, Queen Astrid's parents, accompanied our daughter, as your Kings wife, to her new home, nearly nine years ago; her father said that we could leave our beloved child to her husband and to the Belgium people, with joy and entire confidence.

This confidence has never for a single moment been betrayed. Much more, from the moment our dear Astrid set foot on Belgium soil, the whole nation has surrounded her with a love which grew in strength and warmth with the years passed.

Nobody better than us, her parents, know that the people's love and confidence in her desire to give herself entirely to her new country, gave her strength and made her happiness as wife and mother complete, and nobody knows better than us that this happiness remained clear and lasting.

Nobody will wonder therefore that we should consider it a dear duty to bring the Belgian people our deep and heartful thanks for the love which they always surrounded our beloved daughter.

Your dead queen from her Nordic home, loved Belgium. The love of the nation found an echo in her warm young heart. Great is our sorrow, but greater still is our sympathy for your young king and his little children, and our gratitude to him for everything he was for her, and for the great happiness he gave her.

Carl & Ingeborg (signatures)''
Found a lovely picture of Astrid and her mother, Ingeborg
http://lostsplendor.tumblr.com/image/1060367879
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Very very touching....
thank you for posting this!

Tags
accident, astrid, belgian history, bernadotte, biography, king leopold iii, leopold iii, princess astrid of sweden, queen astrid, queen consort, sweden