The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Gentry

The Cartier-tiara was sold by Princess Lilian, but it is possible that some of Queen Astrid's jewels are in the possession of Queen Fabiola so we keep hoping that one day they will be worn again!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them. In her younger days she was quite creative with jewellery and displayed the most she could. She would certainly have used them then if she had them.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore
I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them.
I've read elsewhere that the only documented auction of Princess Liliane's jewels during the 60's-90's was the Cartier tiara. This invites speculation that some of the heirloom jewels Liliane possessed may have remained in the Royal Family. We will not know for sure until such time as something reappears, if ever. Another enduring Belgian jewel mystery.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Some years ago I read in a magazine, I think it was Hola (not sure), an interview with the Princess Marie-Christinne, the interview was about her relation with her family and specially with her mother, to whom she doesn't have good and nice memories, saying that her mother beat her and was mean to her, and Marie-Christinne believes that it is the motive why she never had any children and also why she left home so soon, ant too reason why she doen't want to get involved with any of her family
Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore
I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them. In her younger days she was quite creative with jewellery and displayed the most she could. She would certainly have used them then if she had them.
Im quite sure that HM Queen Fabiola has some jewels of Lilian-Astrid but that she never wore them. There must be jewels in a vault, think about the emerald necklace-tiara, it has not been seen for years and years... Lilian wore it frequently but when Fabiola became queen the jewel is never been worn again. So my guess is that it is in the vault of Faboila
Old 08-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Gentry

Isn't it true that there was some serious tention between Queen Fabiola and Princess Lilian? Couldn't it be that because all the jewerly was known to be worn by Princess Lilian that Queen Fabiola decided not to wear all the jewels once linked to Princess Lilian?

I don't know for sure though, it just popped into my mind while I was reading the previous message.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's no reason why Lilian should have given the jewels to Fabiola when she became queen, since they're private property... I agree with Hannelore, I can't imagine Fabiola not wearing the jewels if she should have had them. She was quite fond of jewels in her young days.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Administrator

I am confused. Where some of these jewels the personal property of Liliane? Did she sell any of Astrid's jewelery?

While part of me thinks that Liliane brought some of the issues on herself (repuation of a gold digger, estranged from her daughter, not popular in Belgium)...part of me feels bad for her. Can you imagine marrying a widower whose wife will be forever young, beautiful and loved? That's a hard habit to follow.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Lilian could have been accepted and loved in Belgium if she had married Leopold after the war, not during, and if she had been more discreet.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
I think Lilian could have been accepted and loved in Belgium if she had married Leopold after the war, not during, and if she had been more discreet.
True, absolutly true. If she was more discreet there was a chance that one day she could have been accepted by the Belgians.

But was she ever accepted by other royals? How was the relationship between other foreign royals & Lilian??
Old 08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarlene
Some years ago I read in a magazine, I think it was Hola (not sure), an interview with the Princess Marie-Christinne, the interview was about her relation with her family and specially with her mother, to whom she doesn't have good and nice memories, saying that her mother beat her and was mean to her, and Marie-Christinne believes that it is the motive why she never had any children and also why she left home so soon, ant too reason why she doen't want to get involved with any of her family

I've read that as well, I might still have the article (it was about unhappy Princess's). If I recall correctly MC claimed that P. Lillian beat her and locked her in her room when she told her about the rape and didn't believe her daughter. I can try to find the article if anyone's interested.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY
I've read that as well, I might still have the article (it was about unhappy Princess's). If I recall correctly MC claimed that P. Lillian beat her and locked her in her room when she told her about the rape and didn't believe her daughter. I can try to find the article if anyone's interested.
Gosh! what a family !! wonder who attacked MC ???
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

It was a not-direct cousin she told.
As we see what a nice woman princess Esmeralda is and the peace that prince Alexander has found. I think we have to put questions on the character of Princess Marie-Christine. I don't say that what she tells isn't true, but in a way I don't feel much compassion, cause I don't understand the behavior of MC
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise
It was a not-direct cousin she told.
As we see what a nice woman princess Esmeralda is and the peace that prince Alexander has found. I think we have to put questions on the character of Princess Marie-Christine. I don't say that what she tells isn't true, but in a way I don't feel much compassion, cause I don't understand the behavior of MC
I didnt realise how many sub - plots where going on in that family ,
with astrid dieing so young , her husband marrying again , people not liking his seconed wife etc etc etc. as they say you can pick your friends but not your family !
Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm just finish to read all this thread, very interesting.

I knew that Lilian of Rethy, really a beautiful woman, was golddigger and hard, at least with one of her own children ( by reading newspapers) But I'm asking me question:

The jewelles of belgium family was very important because their relation of Belgium Congo great furnishor of diamonds, why now Queen Poala seems to have the most little cassette of jewelles of the european monarchies ?

Even if we can accept that the Queen Fabiola keep significant part of jewelles of the Belgium wreath, Queen Paola don't have yet so many jewelles. Do we interprate this situation because the Princess Lilian had sold a lot of jewelles whch belong to the belgium wreath ?

Or another way to express my quetion : as the jewelles of belgium wreath belongs to the King without exist as in Spain jewelles " Queen to Queen", the Princess Lilian receiving from Leopold a lot of jewelles was considering it was theirs ?

Even the the Belgium Wreath don't have a very ancient jewelles because it's not an very ancient Monarchy nevertheless because the relation with the Congo, by part, it had some important pieces of jewelry.

Are the jewelles sold by Princess of Rethy total personal gifts?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Princess Liliane considered those jewels which were auctioned off to be her private and personal property as they were gifts from her husband.
She was within her legal rights to do so, although the "moral" right of dispersing a good part of the royal collection is another question.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Princess Liliane considered those jewels which were auctioned off to be her private and personal property as they were gifts from her husband.
She was within her legal rights to do so, although the "moral" right of dispersing a good part of the royal collection is another question.
Thanks for your answer. Do you think that the way of manage this" private and personal collection" by Princess of Rethy is the mirror of her behaviour?

Difficult to say, isen't it? when you saw the scandal met in Luxemburg when the inheritors of the GrandDuchess were going to sell part of her private collection...May be Princess Lilian had a peculiar sens of her country, but if they are no wreath's jewelles....
Old 11-29-2006, 03:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not at all familiar with the Belgian royals (other than their titles) so this thread has been really interesting to read

Something I haven't seen mentioned was Liliane's position as her hsuband's wife. Was she a Princess Consort (other styles and distinctions aside), or was she just a Princess of Belgium?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:40 AM

King Leopold III, automobile accident(s)

On August 29, 1935, the King's 29-year-old bride, Astrid, was killed in a road accident near Kussnacht, in Switzerland. This tragedy was largely reported in the press. I understand that King Leopold III was involved in a second, similar tragedy near Cortina d'Ampezzo, in the Italian Piedmont, circa 1957. That accident was never officially reported in the Belgian (or world) press, for obvious reasons. In the archives of the Antwerp Gazette for 1957 is a photo of the wrecked car, a Cadillac from 1953 with a unique sport roadster body created by Pinin Farina. I am looking for any further information regarding that second "royal accident". Where might I find such information?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Why did Liliane skip King Baudouin's funeral? I thought that they had reconciled by the time of Baudouin's death.

Was she in poor health?

Tags
belgian history, biography, king leopold iii, leopold iii, lilian baels, princess lilian, princess of rethy