Princess Lilian of Belgium (2nd wife of King Leopold III)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with Hannelore that it is a very reliable and objectif book. It's true she seems to have been a good stepmother, even though Astrid's children lateron totally broke contact with her. She certainly had a number of qualities.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
It's true she seems to have been a good stepmother, even though Astrid's children lateron totally broke contact with her. She certainly had a number of qualities.
Perhaps another measure of Liliane is that she sold off the Royal heirloom jewels she had in her possession. So much 'Royal provenance' jewellery has been lost.

Personally I think history and society have treated Leopold and Lilian rather badly. Fact is they were handed a set of very difficult circumstances by life: he was a widower at a young age; what was he to do: take a mistress, have discreet affairs. WOuld that have been more acceptable than to get married? [remember this was the 40's people did not just "shack-up together", they got married esp in catholic Belgium]

As for the question of the timing of their marriage: there was a war going on - no one knew how long it would last. What were they to do? wait for ever? I am sure they were not the only couple to get married during the war. They married quietly with no fanfare; its not like they threw a big party.
The aristocracy did not like her simply because she was not "one of them"; the people kept in mind the almost saintly image of Astrid. (her image got magnified by the fact that she died young). With this in mind no second wife, no matter how good or beautiful or generous or educated could have come out on top. Now that said, Lilian & Leopold made mistakes I am sure: she did not understand she would have a big struggle ahead of her to gain acceptance.

I believe they were a true love match otherwise they would not have lasted that long under the difficult circumstances they had, abdication et al.

How was the relationship between Leopold's children?
did they accept their step-siblings? or did they rejected them?

crisiñaki said:
How was the relationship between Leopold's children?
did they accept their step-siblings? or did they rejected them?

Liliane's children were also Leopold's children, making them the half-siblings of the late King, the current king, and the late Grand Duchess. I'm curious how they got along too, though. I can't recall if two out of three of them were at Josephine-Charlotte's funeral.

I know this is an odd question, but do you think Astrid would have approved of Liliane?

As she has been a good stepmother for them I would say yes.

When they were small yes, as adults they didn't want anything to do with her anymore.

what's this i hear about princess liliane selling off family tiaras, jewels. that now the belgium royal family lacks tiaras, jewellry and stuff.

did josephine-charlotte detest her?

foiegrass said:
what's this i hear about princess liliane selling off family tiaras, jewels. that now the belgium royal family lacks tiaras, jewellry and stuff.

did josephine-charlotte detest her?

I heard about it to (the selling of family items) had something to do with one of her daughters getting raped by a senior memeber of the saxe-coburg family at her coming out party and when the daughter told Liliane she didn't believe her (i can imagine and understand why her step-kids [albert,baudoin.j-c] might hate her) and locked her up. Can someone tell me, clear it up for me, (foiegrass question) did josephine-charlotte/baudoin/albert detest her? did anyone actually like her?

De Post (thanks to Chris)

with queen Victoria of Spain, the duchess of Vendôme and queen Marie-José of Italy

Leopold, Marie Christine, Lilian and princess Clémentine

Who Princess Clementine? She is relatives to Princess Liliane? Princess Clementine is relatives to royal family of Belgium? Near Princess Clementine death and have family??

Jose said:
Who Princess Clementine? She is relatives to Princess Liliane? Princess Clementine is relatives to royal family of Belgium? Near Princess Clementine death and have family??

princess Clémentine of Belgium was a sister of king Albert I of the Belgians, so an uncle of king Leopold III.

Thanks informations!! Near she born and death? She have children and grandchildren???

Euhm, last time I looked was princess Clémentine a daughter of king Leopold II of Belgium and thus a niece of king Albert I. She was married to Prince Victor Napoléon after her father's death. She had two kids: a son (Louis Napoléon) and a daughter (Marie-Clothilde). They both got married and gave their mother, princess Clementine a lot of grandchildren.

Princess Lilian had tree children with king Leopold III: Alexandre, Marie-Christine and Marie-Esmeralda.
- Alexandre is married, but hasn't got any kids.
- Marie-Christine lives in America, is married and doesn't have any kinds.
- Marie-Esmeralda is married and has two kids, a daughter (Alexandra-Leopoldine) and a son (Leopoldo) and currently resides in London.

Someone asked how people feel about princess Lilian now... I never was very fond of Lilian, because I'm a big fan of Queen Astrid. And there is also the issue of their marriage... The wedding-certificate had to be counter-signed by a minister, but they were all abroad and Belgian law states that a civil wedding has to proceed a religious one but Lilian and Leopold got married religious first (September 11, 1941) and the civil wedding took place on December 6, 1941.

Last edited:
Wow is beautiful on Princess Liliane of Belgium!!! She was stepmother to Bauodouin 1930-1993 and Albert 1934,Josephine-Charlotte born 1927-2005. She was mother to three children and stepchildren three. More photo on Princess Liliane and King Leopold 1960-1980 ???

What a shame that all these beautiful jewels are not worn by Queen Paola today... Especially the Cartier tiara of Queen Elisabeth...

The Cartier-tiara was sold by Princess Lilian, but it is possible that some of Queen Astrid's jewels are in the possession of Queen Fabiola so we keep hoping that one day they will be worn again!

I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them. In her younger days she was quite creative with jewellery and displayed the most she could. She would certainly have used them then if she had them.

Hannelore said:
I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them.
I've read elsewhere that the only documented auction of Princess Liliane's jewels during the 60's-90's was the Cartier tiara. This invites speculation that some of the heirloom jewels Liliane possessed may have remained in the Royal Family. We will not know for sure until such time as something reappears, if ever. Another enduring Belgian jewel mystery.

Some years ago I read in a magazine, I think it was Hola (not sure), an interview with the Princess Marie-Christinne, the interview was about her relation with her family and specially with her mother, to whom she doesn't have good and nice memories, saying that her mother beat her and was mean to her, and Marie-Christinne believes that it is the motive why she never had any children and also why she left home so soon, ant too reason why she doen't want to get involved with any of her family

Hannelore said:
I would be VERY surprised if Fabiola had them. In her younger days she was quite creative with jewellery and displayed the most she could. She would certainly have used them then if she had them.

Im quite sure that HM Queen Fabiola has some jewels of Lilian-Astrid but that she never wore them. There must be jewels in a vault, think about the emerald necklace-tiara, it has not been seen for years and years... Lilian wore it frequently but when Fabiola became queen the jewel is never been worn again. So my guess is that it is in the vault of Faboila

Isn't it true that there was some serious tention between Queen Fabiola and Princess Lilian? Couldn't it be that because all the jewerly was known to be worn by Princess Lilian that Queen Fabiola decided not to wear all the jewels once linked to Princess Lilian?

I don't know for sure though, it just popped into my mind while I was reading the previous message.

There's no reason why Lilian should have given the jewels to Fabiola when she became queen, since they're private property... I agree with Hannelore, I can't imagine Fabiola not wearing the jewels if she should have had them. She was quite fond of jewels in her young days.

I am confused. Where some of these jewels the personal property of Liliane? Did she sell any of Astrid's jewelery?

While part of me thinks that Liliane brought some of the issues on herself (repuation of a gold digger, estranged from her daughter, not popular in Belgium)...part of me feels bad for her. Can you imagine marrying a widower whose wife will be forever young, beautiful and loved? That's a hard habit to follow.

I think Lilian could have been accepted and loved in Belgium if she had married Leopold after the war, not during, and if she had been more discreet.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
I think Lilian could have been accepted and loved in Belgium if she had married Leopold after the war, not during, and if she had been more discreet.

True, absolutly true. If she was more discreet there was a chance that one day she could have been accepted by the Belgians.

But was she ever accepted by other royals? How was the relationship between other foreign royals & Lilian??

Back
Top Bottom