The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

As a Belgian I have heard a lot of times people who told me (and it was a very strong rumour in the population, I just state it for your info) that Liliane and Beaudoin were TOO close if you see what I mean. It was widely said in the population....

Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But even if they new, there was still Albert and his heirs, before Leopold and Lilian's children.
Leopold's children were excluded from succession, it was stated when they married.

But if Albert had no children, Baudouin would have been lacking an heir. Until 1991, only male line descendents of Leopold I could inherit. And besides him and his brother, there were none. The succession allowed in absence of an heir for a king to name one with parliament approval. Perhaps Leopold could hope that Baudouin would choose one of his half-siblings. It seems more likely he would have IMO chosen one of his sister's children. Prince Jean or Guillaume may have been likely choices, or even one of the girls, introducing absolute primogeniture and applying it to earlier generations instead of simply Albert's kids.

But I find it hard to believe anyone could know Fabiola couldn't carry back then. Even with the advancement in medicine today, it isn't always easy to tell. Trouble conceiving is different then carrying. In a virgin of those times, it would have been extremely hard to know.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
As a Belgian I have heard a lot of times people who told me (and it was a very strong rumour in the population, I just state it for your info) that Liliane and Beaudoin were TOO close if you see what I mean. It was widely said in the population....
Ah the famous Tyrol trip where they had to share the same sleeping compartment (supposedly).
It's probably (almost definitly) another rumor, the worst with that.
But Baudoin was, for sure, mesmerised by Lilian.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Ahead of the 15th anniversary of Princess Lilian's death tomorrow (June 7, 2017), I have uploaded a few old articles from 2002 and 2003:

From Warren's Collection...

"King Leopold's widow dies"
Author: N/A
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Published: June 9, 2002

"A wife loved by a king but not her people"
Author: Suzy Baldwin {editor}
Source: Sydney Morning Herald {from The Daily Telegraph, London}
Published: June 20, 2002

"Obsèques Familiales a Laeken: Lilian rejoint Leopold III"
Author: Francois Billaut and Violaine le Hardy de Beaulieu
Source: Point de Vue
Published: June 19, 2002

"Lilian"
Author: Jenny Alexander
Source: Majesty Magazine
Published: May 2003

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Majesty

She was an incredibly chic and elegant woman for sure. When Jacqueline Kennedy entered the White House as First Lady, she reportedly directed her own couturier Oleg Cassini to make her look "similar the the Princess de Rethy, only younger".

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Her dresses were stored in 20 wardrobes. The Princess had an excellent Governess who took care of them. Most of the dresses are sold.

Later she went to the shops in Waterloo and bought mostly Austrian dresses.

Her daughter Esmeralda wore her Mother red dress and hat for Prince Laurent's Wedding
Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Royal Highness

Fascinating woman ...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

What happened to Queen Astrid's emerald necklace/ convertible tiara last worn by Princess Lilian ? Did Lilian sell it as she sold Queen Elisabeth's Cartier tiara ?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What happened to Queen Astrid's emerald necklace/ convertible tiara last worn by Princess Lilian ? Did Lilian sell it as she sold Queen Elisabeth's Cartier tiara ?
The fact is we simply don't know. Some say it was given to Josephine Charlotte and later transformed, some say it was indeed privately sold by Lilian and some say it's still hidden somewhere in some vaults of the Belgian royals.

Tags
belgian history, biography, king leopold iii, leopold iii, lilian baels, princess lilian, princess of rethy