The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
A lot of pictures of Princess ingeborg with Astrid 3 young Children before the War. No pictures anymore after the war.
The only picture is Princess Ingeborg at Princess Josephine Charlotte's Wedding.
Only a thought , if King Leopold did not drive his car Queen Astrid should be alive. Was he guilty for his Family in law ?.
Thought 2 : Seeing pictures of Princess Lilian wearing Queen Astrid personal jewels and gifts must have been terrible for Princess Ingeborg.

Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte never missed a Scandinavian glitteriing Event;
If the difference was indeed *before* WWII and *after* I'd like to add thought 3: maybe the Swedish relatives were not happy with K.Leopold's choices in WWII (I'm pretty sure it was a big deal then)

Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She also wore Astrid's now missing emerald necklace, which could also be worn as a convertible tiara. I wonder where that ended up.
Princess Lilian wore parts of the Stockholm tiara as a brooch. The tiara was a wedding gift to Queen Astrid from the city of Stockholm.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A lot of pictures of Princess ingeborg with Astrid 3 young Children before the War. No pictures anymore after the war.
The only picture is Princess Ingeborg at Princess Josephine Charlotte's Wedding.
Only a thought , if King Leopold did not drive his car Queen Astrid should be alive. Was he guilty for his Family in law ?.
Thought 2 : Seeing pictures of Princess Lilian wearing Queen Astrid personal jewels and gifts must have been terrible for Princess Ingeborg.

Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte never missed a Scandinavian glitteriing Event;
I remembered late last night that Josephine-Charlotte told anecdotes in the documentary "A Royal Family" from a family gathering at Fridhem that took place after the war.

I also found this picture from the Golden wedding anniversary of Ingeborg and Carl in 1947. So there must have been some contact with her grandparents. I know that at least Ingeborg was very worried for the future of her Belgian grandchildren.
https://goo.gl/images/GGkz7j
Old 06-06-2018, 03:37 AM
Majesty

I read years ago that there were 'difficulties' in Leopold's relationship with his Scandinavian inlaws after Astrid's premature death, so I would guess that perhaps there was some silent finger pointing after the death of a beloved daughter and sister, as well as the guilt that Leopold felt on his own account. As for the accounts of Lilian wearing some of Astrid's jewellery, especially the wedding gifts given specially to the beautiful Swedish princess..goodness knows how they felt.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Heir Apparent

JR76, This is a picture I never saw. Thank you so much.
No Belgian member of the family , they were on exile in 1947 until 1950. It is strange that even Queen Astrid Children were not alowed to leave the Country.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
JR76, This is a picture I never saw. Thank you so much.
No Belgian member of the family , they were on exile in 1947 until 1950. It is strange that even Queen Astrid Children were not alowed to leave the Country.
Why were the Royal Children not allowed to leave Belgium?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Free of copyrights, from Columbia encyclopedia:

Leopold III, king of the Belgians 1901–83, king of the Belgians (1934–51), son and successor of Albert I. In 1936, Leopold announced a fundamental change in foreign policy; Belgium abandoned its military alliance with France in favor of a return to neutrality. In May, 1940, Germany—which in 1937 had guaranteed Belgian neutrality—invaded the Low Countries. Leopold led the Belgian army in resisting the invaders. After the defense became hopeless, Leopold, over the opposition of his cabinet, surrendered unconditionally (May 28), thus provoking accusations of treason. A prisoner of war at his castle at Laken, Leopold refused to exercise an active rule under German tutelage. After his first wife, Astrid, was killed in an automobile accident while Leopold was at the wheel, he married (1941) a commoner, whom he later created princess of Réthy. Removed (1944) to Germany, Leopold was freed by Allied troops in 1945. His return to Belgium was a burning political issue. The Liberal and leftist parties accused him of cooperation with Nazi Germany and of fascist sympathies, and his main support came from the Catholic Conservatives. In 1945, Leopold was barred from returning without the permission of the parliament. He spent his exile mostly in Switzerland while his brother, Prince Charles, acted as regent. A referendum held in 1950 favored the king’s return by a slight majority. However, Leopold’s arrival in Belgium was followed by such unrest that he transferred the royal powers to his eldest son, Baudouin. In July, 1951, Leopold formally abdicated.

Treated very unfairly, I may add. A decent, good man.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitaDeK View Post
Treated very unfairly, I may add. A decent, good man.

The issue with Leopold III was not so much surrendering to Germany per se, as Belgium's military position was indeed hopeless and nobody could realistically expect him to do what his father had done in World War I. His biggest fault was actually to surrender and remain in Belgium contrary to the advice of the government, which would be unconstitutional and, in my opinion, disqualified him from staying on the throne.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right Mbrunu. How many travels the Belgian Ministers did to Switzerland and the answer was always "no" . Bad personal Advisers.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

King Leopold III took his son Prince Alexander for a motorcycle ride in 1954.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/171268453

Tags
abdication, astrid, belgian history, biography, king leopold iii, leopold iii, lilian baels, princess lilian, princess of rethy, queen astrid, world war ii