King Leopold I of The Belgians (1790-1865)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why this date ? thanks

on this date, a proclamation by king george v, replaced the royal house of Saxe- Coburg- Gotha with that of windsor, as there was anti german feeling in the uk at the time:flowers: .

On this date, King George V renounced to the german titles of his Family (Prince(ss) of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince(ss) of Hannover), deprived the German members of the British Royal Family of their british titles (for examples, the Princes of Hannover; the titular King of Hannover, Ernst August II, was also Duke of Cumberland) and changed the surname of the Family from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.

On this date, King George V deprived the German members of the British Royal Family of their british titles (for examples, the Princes of Hannover; the titular King of Hannover, Ernst August II, was also Duke of Cumberland)

well, not quite mafan. ernest august II, was deprived of his peerages and his title of prince of great britain and ireland, by order of the council on the 28th march 1919. i think you may be thinking of the battenburgs, the tecks and the schleswig princesses ? sorry my friend !!!:)

Queen Victoria was a niece of King Leopold I, so there's a (strong) relationship between the two families; the present Queen Elizabeth II and the present King Albert II are third cousins.

yes you are correct, but you are forgetting that queen victoria married her first cousin prince albert of saxe-coburg -gotha (also nephew of king leopold). it was via prince albert, after the death of the queen in 1901, that the british royal house had become saxe....... until 1917.

well, not quite mafan. ernest august II, was deprived of his peerages and his title of prince of great britain and ireland, by order of the council on the 28th march 1919. i think you may be thinking of the battenburgs, the tecks and the schleswig princesses ? sorry my friend !!!:)
yes, you're right, but the 1919 Order of Council followed the 1917 Titles Deprivaction Act

King Leopold II (1790-1865)

This thread is about King Leopold I The Belgians (Coburg 16 Dec 1790-Laeken 10 Dec 1865)

Parents: Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and King Leopold I of The Belgians and Princess Louise-Marie of France (Orleans)

First wife: Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales

Second wife: Princess Louise-Marie of France (Orleans)

How and why did he and Princess Charlotte separate?

How and why did he and Princess Charlotte separate?
Leopold and Charlotte did not separate. She died in childbirth in 1817 after giving birth to a stillborn son. Charlotte's death caused a succession crisis for the British royal family, and her unmarried uncles scrambled to marry and produce legitimate heirs. Leopold suggested his widowed sister as a wife for Charlotte's uncle the Duke of Kent, and they had one daughter, the future Queen Victoria. Leopold was devastated after Charlotte's death and did not remarry for many years. He finally did after becoming King of the Belgians, needing to secure heirs for his new kingdom and married Louise-Marie to build a French alliance. Leopold and Louise-Marie named their only daughter Charlotte after his first wife.

Princess Charlotte was believed to have died from an undetected post-partum haemorrhage a few hours after delivering a stillborn son.

Now there Is the ducal family of Saxe Coburg and Gotha whom are the decendents of prince Leopold,duke of Albany through his son Charles Edward and then there is the house of Saxe Coburg and Gotha whom are decended from king Leopold I of the belgians they are basically related right?

Yes, they are, although rather distantly related. The Duke of Albany's grandfather, Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was the elder brother of King Leopold I of the Belgians.

Did Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (the Duchess Victoria of Kent) and her daughter, Princess (Queen) Victoria visit Leopold I in Belgium quite a lot once he became King of the Belgians in 1831?

He went to GB to visit his Niece .
Queen Victoria wrote a lot of letters to her dear Uncle. He arranged her wedding with his nephew and it was a happy one !
The relationship between Leopold and his sister Victoria and other siblings were not close.

I did not know that Leopold I was not close to his sisters Juliane (Grand Duchess Anna Feodorovna of Russia) and Victoria (the Duchess of Kent) and his brothers Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Ferdinand and other siblings.

In 1835 the Brussels-Malines steam passenger line opened.
King Leopold I of the Belgians had been championing the project since 1832.
The Brussels-Malines line was the first steam passenger line in continental Europe.

:belgiumstandard::daneflag::belgiumstandard::daneflag::belgiumstandard:

In a strongly Roman Catholic country, King Leopold I of the Belgians was a Lutheran. Leopold was of the House of Saxe-Cobourg. In the days before German unification, Leopold's nephew was Ernest II, reigning Duke of Saxe-Cobourg. It was Ernest II who conferred Saxe-Cobourg titles on Leopold's children by Baroness von Eppinghoven; it would possibly be a moot point of constitutional law whether the fact that acknowledged children of a Belgian monarch received titles from a foreign power is something that must be 'marked' by a Belgian government minister. (The Belgian constitution indicates that significant actions of royalty must be 'marked' by a minister.) In the event, the conferrals do not seem to have been regarded as problematic.

King Leopold I died Lutheran , we still have a lutheran Church near our Place Royale
The Priest of the Church of Laeken did not want his late body entering is Church.
The Royal Crypt is therefore behind the Church.
The Children of his Mistress Arcadie Claret were titled von Eppinghoven, I did not know the title was conferred by Ernest II , I always thought it was from the King itself.
What are your sources ? Thanks

King Leopold I died Lutheran , we still have a lutheran Church near our Place Royale
The Priest of the Church of Laeken did not want his late body entering is Church.
The Royal Crypt is therefore behind the Church.
The Children of his Mistress Arcadie Claret were titled von Eppinghoven, I did not know the title was conferred by Ernest II , I always thought it was from the King itself.
What are your sources ? Thanks

Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels [Genealogical Handbook of the Nobility]. Freiherrlichen Häuser (in German). Band XXI. C. A. Starke. 1999. pp. 101–3.

Great Information Source coming from Canada , Thanks MarcosFenn for Sharing.
Arcadie Claret's tomb has often flowers ordered from New Zeeland said our Guide when I visited the Cemetery of Laeken.

In 1835 the Brussels-Malines steam passenger line opened.
King Leopold I of the Belgians had been championing the project since 1832.
The Brussels-Malines line was the first steam passenger line in continental Europe.

:belgiumstandard::daneflag::belgiumstandard::daneflag::belgiumstandard:

Belgium was the first Continental European country to become industrialized, and the railroad was an important part of this.

Belgium was the first Continental European country to become industrialized, and the railroad was an important part of this.

MarcosFenn, Thank you for pointing out that the railroad helped in the process of Belgium to become industrialized.

MarcosFenn, Thank you for pointing out that the railroad helped in the process of Belgium to become industrialized.

Okay...obvious; but Belgium's rapid industrialization before other Continental countries is an important part of its history. It's interesting that many railroad stations now operating were built before 1860, and were formally opened by Leopold I.

Belgium was then the second industrialized Country after England.

Indeed, all set in motion by King Willem I.

King Luis I of Portugal sent a letter to his uncle, King Leopold I of the Belgians.
Luis wanted to marry but he was not certain which young lady should be his wife,
He had selected a number of Princesses.
He also considered some Archduchesses of Austria.
King Luis asked King Leopold for advice.
Leopold I thought the best choice was Archduchess Maria Theresa of Austria, the daughter of Archduke Albert.
King Luis I did not marry Maria Theresa. Her father thought she was too young at the time. :princess2:

King Leopold married Princess Louise in a combined Roman Catholic and Lutheran service on August 9, 1832.
:onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering:

With the opening of the railway line between Brussels and Mechelen on May 5, 1835, one of King Leopold I's hopes, which was to build the first railway in continental Europe, became a reality.

I was able to learn the exact date of the opening of the railway line, which was May 5, 1835.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom