The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Leopold Ier was the british candidate, as he was the Princess of Wales' widow,
and well known of the others courts. He married the King of the French 's daughter.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Please, correct me if I'm wrong: he married in secret Arcadie, but soon divorced when he became King, in order to marry Princess Louise Marie d'Orleans.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Arcadie Claret was the belgian mistress the King had until the end of is life.
MAfan you are speaking about a german lady and a morganatic wedding before he was King of the Belgians. This was an officially unknown and strange story ..
Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan
Please, correct me if I'm wrong: he married in secret Arcadie, but soon divorced when he became King, in order to marry Princess Louise Marie d'Orleans.
He did marrie for the second time, before his third marriage to Princess Louise-Marie.
In 1829, a year before the start of the National Congress, he married (or rather, agreed to a marriage contract, with no religious ceremony involved) with Caroline Bauer, an actress, who was created Countess of Montgomery following the marriage.

it is assumed that the French side agreed to eventually support Leopold's candidacy during the Congress on condition that he would marry King Louis-Philippe's eldest daughter Princess Louis-Marie. His 'marriage' to Caroline Bauer wasn't even recognized by many.
By the time the Congress started, Leopold and Caroline were already leading separate lives, so he easily got a divorce (at the beginning of 1831) and a year later married Louise-Marie of France.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sorry, I have talked about the wrong woman... :)
But I'm not totally wrong about the story of the secret wedding, am I?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Leopold married her in a civil ceremony only btw, though some say even that one was invalid. It was actually the famous baron von Stockmar who arranged it all, and who arranged his cousin Caroline B. as a mistress (Leopold was in very low spirits after Charlotte died). Von Stockmar was the advisor of Leopold and much of the Coburg family, like Albert & Victoria.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to Marsel77 and Marengo for the informations about what happened before Leopold Ist married Queen Louise-Marie.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Courtier

As Leopold was of the House of Saxe Coburg Gotha, does that make the Belgian Royal Family cousins of some description to the British Royal Family?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Victoria was a niece of King Leopold I, so there's a (strong) relationship between the two families; the present Queen Elizabeth II and the present King Albert II are third cousins.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

MaFan you are right and of course it was King Leopold I who arranged this wedding which was happy.
The name of the British RF is now Windsor, do you know since when ?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The name of the British RF is now Windsor, do you know since when ?
yes. 17th july 1917.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why this date ? thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Why this date ? thanks
on this date, a proclamation by king george v, replaced the royal house of Saxe- Coburg- Gotha with that of windsor, as there was anti german feeling in the uk at the time .
Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

On this date, King George V renounced to the german titles of his Family (Prince(ss) of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince(ss) of Hannover), deprived the German members of the British Royal Family of their british titles (for examples, the Princes of Hannover; the titular King of Hannover, Ernst August II, was also Duke of Cumberland) and changed the surname of the Family from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
On this date, King George V deprived the German members of the British Royal Family of their british titles (for examples, the Princes of Hannover; the titular King of Hannover, Ernst August II, was also Duke of Cumberland)
well, not quite mafan. ernest august II, was deprived of his peerages and his title of prince of great britain and ireland, by order of the council on the 28th march 1919. i think you may be thinking of the battenburgs, the tecks and the schleswig princesses ? sorry my friend !!!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Queen Victoria was a niece of King Leopold I, so there's a (strong) relationship between the two families; the present Queen Elizabeth II and the present King Albert II are third cousins.
yes you are correct, but you are forgetting that queen victoria married her first cousin prince albert of saxe-coburg -gotha (also nephew of king leopold). it was via prince albert, after the death of the queen in 1901, that the british royal house had become saxe....... until 1917.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep1 View Post
well, not quite mafan. ernest august II, was deprived of his peerages and his title of prince of great britain and ireland, by order of the council on the 28th march 1919. i think you may be thinking of the battenburgs, the tecks and the schleswig princesses ? sorry my friend !!!
yes, you're right, but the 1919 Order of Council followed the 1917 Titles Deprivaction Act
Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

In the book "Léopold avant Léopold I" by Gilbert Kirschen the author mentions some memoirs written by Caroline Bauer.
Are they the "Posthumous memoirs of Karoline Bauer,: From the German by Karoline Bauer?

Thanks,

Alberto
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
King Leopold II (1790-1865)

This thread is about King Leopold I The Belgians (Coburg 16 Dec 1790-Laeken 10 Dec 1865)

Parents: Duke Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and King Leopold I of The Belgians and Princess Louise-Marie of France (Orleans)

First wife: Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales

Second wife: Princess Louise-Marie of France (Orleans)

How and why did he and Princess Charlotte separate?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush View Post
How and why did he and Princess Charlotte separate?
Leopold and Charlotte did not separate. She died in childbirth in 1817 after giving birth to a stillborn son. Charlotte's death caused a succession crisis for the British royal family, and her unmarried uncles scrambled to marry and produce legitimate heirs. Leopold suggested his widowed sister as a wife for Charlotte's uncle the Duke of Kent, and they had one daughter, the future Queen Victoria. Leopold was devastated after Charlotte's death and did not remarry for many years. He finally did after becoming King of the Belgians, needing to secure heirs for his new kingdom and married Louise-Marie to build a French alliance. Leopold and Louise-Marie named their only daughter Charlotte after his first wife.

Tags
belgian history, biography, king leopold i, leopold i, princess charlotte, queen louise-marie, saxe-coburg-gotha