The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)

Perhaps it is time to give King Baudouin a seperate thread here. This thread can be used for pictures, questions information and other things related to the late king.

Tomorrow it will be 15 years since he died. HLN came with the news that the palace still receives letters adressed to the late king every day!

Article in Dutch here.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Video about the dead of king Boudewijn
http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm

you should click on the icon on the left (Boudewijn overleed 15 jaar geleden)

Old 07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Today it's exactly 15 years ago king Boudewijn died in his Spanish holiday home in Motril. He was 62 and had been king of the Belgians for 42 years.

A remembrance mass was held (like each year) at the Onze Lieve Vrouwe church of Laken. It was attended by queen Fabiola, king Albert, queen Paola and princess Astrid. (and princess Margaretha and prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein).

1800 people showed up for the mass, there were also numurous visitors in the royal crypt.

Plaatjesupload.nl :: Gratis Plaatjes en Foto's Uploaden - Upload Plaatjes
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, how I wish I could read Dutch, or understand. Drat!

I am surprised that so many people came to the Mass, that's great!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness

Overview in images of life Boudewijn
Telenet Foto - Boudewijn 15 jaar dood - Share your online photo albums - unlimited storage - upload photos - digital photography

Video
deredactie.be - mediatheek
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think Princess Marie-Annunciata, Princess Marie-Astrid and Prince Josef Emmanuel of Liechtenstein were there too.

---
After the mass HM Queen Fabiola stayed for one complete hour in the royal crypt.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Gentry

Seeing the videos about the death of King Baudouin/Boudewijn it brings back the feelings (how time flies!) from 15 years ago. I remember awkening to the sad sad news of the death of this amazing King, I was ovecome with sadness. I mourned him! I wrote a card of condolence to Queen Fabiola and recived some weeks after the funeral a thank you card with a wonderfull picture of the King and Queen. Living only a few minutes from the Belgian border, we really felt the sadness of the Belgians. I watched the coverage of the funeral on tv with my grandmother, we were united in grief. Our hearts went out to the Queen. Just three years after the Kings death I lost my grandmother, once again I was heartbroken. They both are sadly missed!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Courtier

It is just how sad the way that King Baudouin suddenly died there were no signs that he was sick he seemed to be in pretty good health at the time of his unexpected death.I feel saddness for his family espically his widow Queen Fabolia and plus the Beligan people who were so fond of their beloved king.May he rest in peace.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM

Actually, the King had been having heart problems before his death. He had undergone heart surgery in Paris (I think).
also, he is reputed to have said to one prime minister "We are not feeling well these days" (yes, he spoke in royal plural). And later he said the same, but in sigular. So this probably shows his problems were worsening. However, his health problems were kept quiet from the public. This is why his death was such a shock for everyone.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Baudouin began experiencing an irregular heartbeat around 1980, a full thirteen years before his death(according to Paris Match).

What I find incredible is that the heart surgery that he underwent in 1992-eighteen months before his death-was apparently botched...according to some reports they used the wrong kind of artificial heart valve.

I mean, COME ON!! This man was a King...surely he was privy to the most expert medical care available in Europe, or even here in the U.S if had wanted to come here for treatment.

Irregular heartbeat is a very common problem, he should not have died that way.

Also heart problems are hereditary for the men in that family. Baudouin's younger half-brother Prince Alexandre had open heart surgery in Boston when he was only about 13, King Leopold III died from heart disease, and King Albert himself has had heart surgery too.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

I remember that Napoleon said that to have the power was very important the charm (I think it was Napoleon, but I have doubts about this).
I think the charisma that made references Napoleon was the charisma of Baudouin and Queen of England.
the King Baudouin with his innate personality, as Elizabeth II, was a king with power. Baudouin was stronger than the critics. He was above criticism, the criticism did not affect his position, HE did not changed his personality for the critics .. Elizabeth II has had criticism but it does not change her way of being.
Baudouin was widely criticized for his personality, he was very Catholic ,he wanted influenced about the treatment of certain laws (the law of abortion)
It was criticized because he was a king who represented a sovereign, the people of Belgium, so he was widely criticized, but critics did not changed his way of thinking.
He was very catholic and it wasn´t changed his way of thinking. He was Baudouin
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do you know where is buried the first born child (a boy) of Margaretha of Luxembourg/Liechtenstein ? in Laeken in the royal crypt??
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Do you know where is buried the first born child (a boy) of Margaretha of Luxembourg/Liechtenstein ? in Laeken in the royal crypt??
Yes, he is buried in Laeken, near to Empress Marie Charlotte of Mexico.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

Thumbs up

Are you talking about HSH Prince Leopold Emmanuel Jean Marie of Liechtenstein,son Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein and Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein ?
I read,He was born in 1984, he didn ´t live more 24 hours.
I did not know where he was buried. Mafan, Thanks for the information.

It is true Mafan, I have found this:

Royal Travel Blog: Royal Crypt Laeken

He is in the crypt.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is interesting is that the only one who was not buried in Laeken but in the Cathedral St Michel et Gudule was the first born child of King Léopold I and Louise Marie d'Orléans called
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

follows
Louis Philippe like his grand father , Louis Philippe , King of the French. The Church was not even built when I died.
It is only a few years ago that he is in Laeken.. So all the members of our RF are there and I was surprised that a Little Liechtenstein Prince was there olso.
Thanks for the pictures of Beltraneja, I never saw them.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

sorry : please read : when he died.. sorry it is late
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

I'm also surprised.
This has no sense of history, he should be buried in Luxembourg or Liechtenstein.was it desire of Baldouion ?.
I think these things have any meaning historical.Surely , it has a behind historical.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some times ago I read that baudouin and Fabiola have been very closed to Nikolaus and Margaretha in these days, and Margaretha spemt some time in Villa Astrida in Motril after she losed the baby...maybe it really was a desire of the King that the baby was buried in Laeken.

Tags
baudouin, belgian history, biography, king baudouin