The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand Dutch as I was born in Flanders.
King Leopold III was more loved in Flanders than in Wallonia in 1950. Now it is the contrary. Dutch and Frenchspeaking interviews of people who knew well the late King.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
That he is a saint.

Note that everybody in the documentary -even the former assistant of the late cardinal Suenens- treated this with mild skepticism. The former assistant -Guido Heybraut- did add that the king was like a shepherd: 'who tried to steer his flock to green pastures. But he can not do more, he can't force his sheep to eat.'

Note that cardinal Danneels also elaborates about the 'secret of the king'. It is discussed in the fourth part of the documentary. Also note the speech on behalf of a victim of human trafficking & forced prostitution during the funeral service.

In the last years of his reign the king read a book by a journalist on the matter, which shocked him deeply. I still remember reading in the newspaper how the king had his limousine stopped in a dodgy part of Antwerp, where he spoke to the victims. He tried to use his influence decision makers, he attended meetings to push them into action.

The journalist -Chris de Stoop- shares an anecdote in the documentary how he was invited to the palace to discuss his findings. The night before he had a bit to much to drink in the café and upon arrival home he fell from the stairs. The king saw the wound on his forehead and declared that it could not be a coincidence, the day before a nephew fell in a hole on the palace grounds (Amedeo I suspect, as prince Joachim would have barely been able to walk in 1992), 'it must be the work of the devil, he pushed you off the stairs because you are fighting for the good'.

Part 4:

I have read extensively in French and English on the life of his late Majesty, and while I am convinced of his inherent decency and especially his passionate love for Christ, I am not quite sure that I believe he was a saint.

After his marriage and especially toward the end of his short life his life he was certainly moving toward sanctity, however.

Much thanks Marengo.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

A very old picture of little King Baudouin with his sister and his aunt share by Prince Dimitri:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl_AGdgn...prince.dimitri
Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

great find, thanks for posting!

Tags
baudouin, belgian history, biography, king baudouin