The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Gentry

I'm not Belgian, so I'm not really qualified to say a lot, although I did live in Belgium when Baudouin was King and was in Belgium at around the time he passed away: and it was quite clear that Baudouin was beloved of his people. How ever much some secularist and regional separatist politicians might from time to time to have tried to belittle Baudouin's convictions, Baudouin was deeply respected by the Belgian people themselves and his posthumous reputation may even be said to have gown still.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Before her marriage , Queen Fabiola published a children's book.
The title of the book was The Twelve Marvellous Tales.

One of the fairy tales in this book "The Indian Waterlilies" is available as an attraction in themepark "De Efteling" in the Netherlands (in Kaatsheuvel):

The attraction is maybe a little bit dated now, but when i was a child that was one of my favorite attractions in the park.
the fairytale has really made it's way into belgian and dutch folklore.

Famous comicbookseries "Suske en Wiske" has also one episode on this fairytale and the Efteling attraction
http://suskeenwiske.ophetwww.net/alb...cs/4kl/168.gif

Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was when she was Queen.....
Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Was HM paid for the use of her stories? She should be independently wealthy if she was, unless she donated the proceeds to charity.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good question , I don't remember it was in the sixties or seventies
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay, according to her French biographer Antoine Michelland in "La Reine Blanche", Fabiola was approached about the rights to her stories after her marriage to Baudouin, and she donated all the monies to her Belgian charities.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Baudouin swore two times , one as Prince Royal and in 1951 as King.
I don't remember at which one Lucien Lahaut said "vive la République " !
Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that it was when prince Baudouin swore for the first times in july 1950

I found this video about King Baudoin

Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found also this video about the life of King Baudouin, in the first part we saw when Lucien Lahaut said ' vive La république

Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the videos. King Baudouin had an interesting life...part fairy tale and part tragedy.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Fairy tale I would not say. They both loved so much Children , should have the Heir of Belgium but alas the Queen has 5 miscarriages.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Melina , and He was only 20 years old......
Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Was HM paid for the use of her stories? She should be independently wealthy if she was, unless she donated the proceeds to charity.
The story ‘The Indian Water-Lilies’ is one of the twelve fairytales from "Los doce Cuentos maravillosos", written by then unknown Spanish aristocrat Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón in 1955, five years before her marriage to King Baudouin of the Belgians.

The revenues from "Los doce Cuentos maravillosos" are donated to the Nationaal Werk voor Kinderwelzijn, now called Kind & Gezin ("Child & Family"), an agency which aims to enable children "to achieve their full developmental potential, physically, mentally, emotionally and socially, with respect for diversity and children’s rights".

Old 08-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I did not know she wrote before her wedding ! thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Prince Baudouin swore two times , one as Prince Royal and in 1951 as King.
I don't remember at which one Lucien Lahaut said "vive la République " !
Maria-Olivia, Thank you for the information about Prince Baudouin being sworn in two different times.
Was this partly due to the fact that twenty-one was the legal age when a gentleman in Belgium would be considered an adult?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The story ‘The Indian Water-Lilies’ is one of the twelve fairytales from "Los doce Cuentos maravillosos", written by then unknown Spanish aristocrat Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón in 1955, five years before her marriage to King Baudouin of the Belgians.

The revenues from "Los doce Cuentos maravillosos" are donated to the Nationaal Werk voor Kinderwelzijn, now called Kind & Gezin ("Child & Family"), an agency which aims to enable children "to achieve their full developmental potential, physically, mentally, emotionally and socially, with respect for diversity and children’s rights".

Thank you Duc. Queen Fabiola was and is an amazing woman. She worked as a nurse in the slums of Madrid before her marriage, but could easily have pursued a career as a writer of children's stories if she'd chosen to.

maria-oliva,

Baudouin's early childhood before the death of Queen Astrid was a fairy tale, then it became very sad after she died.

Then he met the woman of his life and had one of the happiest marriages in recent Royal history...but they could not have children despite the blessing of their happy marriage.

And he died rather young...only 62 years.

That's why I feel it's equal parts fairy tale and tragedy.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Maria-Olivia, Thank you for the information about Prince Baudouin being sworn in two different times.
Was this partly due to the fact that twenty-one was the legal age when a gentleman in Belgium would be considered an adult?
After the "King's crisis", in 1950 King Leopold III finally agreed to abdicate and hand the kingship to his eldest son when Baudouin turned 21, in the mean-time the prince already took over the royal responsibilities as a King-prince.
So there were actually two moments on which Baudouin's role changed.
In the end Baudouin already became king in july 1951, so even before his 21st birthday
Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

A video about the royal couple King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola

Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was her First Joyeuse Entrée in Brussels before her wedding .
All the belgians ladies wore afterwards the same fur vison hat ..
Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
A video about the royal couple King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola

THANK YOU melina-premiere, I never get tired of watching video of King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, they restore my faith in soul mates and true love.

I miss Queen Fabiola. I cannot even remember the last time she has been seen in public.

Tags
baudouin, belgian history, biography, king baudouin