The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Indeed he was....by far!!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Nobility

Oh yes, he was much more handsome than his younger brother and a far better man than Albert ever was.
I see a lot of his character in Philippe, serious, devoted men who try to do the best thing to the best of their abilities, of course the current King is more modern and maybe less "praying" than his uncle but the best part of his character were passed from B to P, thankfully the latter doesn't share his parents inclinations to adultery or their lack of care for their children.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

It should be not possible to reign as King Baudouin did , times changed.
Philippe is not 100 % a King's Baudouin model.
King Baudouin did not a difference with his private conscience and his King and Head of State conscience , this is not possible anymore.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Gentry

Leidi, Philippe lived with Fabiola and Baudouin during one of Albert and Paola 's marriage crises. I'll post a picture which is very nice of F&B leading one of Philippe's scout meetings.

Maria Olivia, very true. It would be very difficult to do what Baudouin did in present times.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Gentry

Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
It should be not possible to reign as King Baudouin did , times changed.
Philippe is not 100 % a King's Baudouin model.
King Baudouin did not a difference with his private conscience and his King and Head of State conscience , this is not possible anymore.
I know that, what I meant is that Philippe got a lot of the good parts of his uncle's character, he was raised to be a good man
Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
What a wonderful photo,I've never seen this before.Philippe must have had a close relationship with his uncle and aunt in law!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

To make that photo even more poignant it might have been taken around 1968,when Queen Fabiola was having her final doomed pregnancy.

She wore that same big red coat when she was pregnant before, and they way she is holding it closed against her stomach and she leans in to speak with Philippe makes me wonder.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am absolutely loving this thread. Up until just recently, I really had next to no information about Fabiola and Bauduoin, their lives and their wonderful love story. Thank you so much episcogal for putting so much effort into explaining how they met and the wonderful collection of photos you've posted.

Bauduoin and Fabiola just comes across to me as very sensitive and serene persons with tremendous faith and conviction. They're the kind of couple that with each other they could face and make it through whatever came their way.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, exactly Osipi. I posted before that they obviously took their wedding vows very seriously. It was one of those matches made in Heaven that you always read about, but rarely see in real life.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for this nice picture!
Sad that Queen Fabola's since years high appreciated reputation has changed due to her FoundationS !
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Her reputation hasn't suffered with me at all. I don't think she did anything wrong with her Foundation and it was unfair and cruel to attack her over it.

She has given herself over body and soul to her adopted country since she became queen, until she has become too frail to be as active as she once was.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Was Baudouin named after Prince Baudouin, the son of Prince Philippe, the Count of Flanders?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes , you are right he was the beloved older brother of King Albert I.
if he did not die so young and should have been King Bauduin Ier.
The 2 Albert I and II are unexpected Kings ! Kind regards MO
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

King Philippe's eldest son has Baudouin as a middle name: Prince Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie. It is nice to see Baudouin's name continued to be used.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Her reputation hasn't suffered with me at all. I don't think she did anything wrong with her Foundation and it was unfair and cruel to attack her over it.

She has given herself over body and soul to her adopted country since she became queen, until she has become too frail to be as active as she once was.
I am in total agreement with you on this. It is shameful how she has been treated in 2013. What her lawyers did was not illegal and, being a native Texan makes me far less able to see any sort of moral or character flaw in not wanting to hand all your money over to the state, especially upon your death. That is just ridiculous.

Baudouin and Fabiola were austere when austere was not favorable. Indeed, the New York Times skewered him in the poor man's obituary over his austerity while king.

I'm praying Fabiola has a much better year in 2014.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I remember the mildly disapproving obituary in the NY Times. The paper said that he and the Queen were "odd" because they tended to avoid glittery high profile Royal events, and then his behavior over the abortion issue really had them tut-tutting.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Gentry

Terrible Times Obituary Let's just post the article to show folks how shamefully he was treated AND, how incorrect their article truly was. It wasn't even accurate!

Some quotes:

Quote:
one of the more reclusive of Europe's dwindling monarchs
Quote:
...never a star player on the European political or social stage.
Quote:
...rarely seen in public, gave few speeches, and avoided the glitter and pomp enjoyed by many of Europe's other royals.
Quote:
...a 6-foot-tall, almost-gaunt aristocrat who once wanted to be a Trappist monk, seemed to be ill at ease in his role as king and sought to remove the monarchy as much as possible from the rough and tumble of politics.
Quote:
It almost seemed typical that in his one entrance into his country's political spotlight in recent years, Baudouin sidestepped a decision on abortion, letting others do it by invoking an "unable to govern" clause in Belgium's constitution and not being king for a day.
Quote:
That political ploy triggered grumbling among many Belgians and served to underscore the uneasy relationship he had for years with his subjects.
Those are all complete assumptions, suppositions and errant conclusions. But then again, that is what we usually see in terms of a quality story from the New York Slimes.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Gentry

I was going to write the author of that article and say in the twentieth anniversary year of the king's death, let's just examine what you wrote, but I found this...

March 2013 Versatile Times report dies at 84. I hope they managed to do a better job on his obit than he did on Baudouin's.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

That last bit about his "uneasy relationship with his subjects" was laughable at best and a blatant lie at worst. Baudouin was a very popular king.

I wonder if the NYT covered the massive outpouring of grief by Belgians at the king's lying in State(almost a 3rd of the citizenry went to view his body) and the unprecedented turnout for his State funeral that included three former US Presidents and Elizabeth II as well? Something tells me they didn't.

Not bad for a reclusive king who shunned his subjects!

Tags
baudouin, belgian history, biography, king baudouin