King Albert I of The Belgians (1875-1934)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an old story , the law was not the same.
The Countess de Flandres had a candate a Princess of Orleans , Leopold II refused about their bad health.
Strange thing , there is absolutely no picture from her wedding. Perhaps someone died in the Wittelsbach family and it was a law coast wedding ???

Isn't there a pic who is supposed to show her at her Wedding Day. But at that time this was wuiet often done. For example there are no pics showing the bridal couples at the wedding of the german-prussian Crown Princely Couple Wilhelm and Cecilie. And from the Wedding of Viktoria Luise of Prussia there are only a few sketches but no pics with the bridal Couple.

The Countess de Flandres had a candate a Princess of Orleans , Leopold II refused about their bad health.
The candidate was Princess Isabelle (1878-1961), later Duchess of Guise and mother among the others of the late Count of Paris. But didn't Leopold II oppose in order not to spoil the relationship with the French republican government, like he did when he opposed to the marriage of his daughter Clementine to Prince Napoleon?
Strange thing , there is absolutely no picture from her wedding. Perhaps someone died in the Wittelsbach family and it was a law coast wedding ???
I've only came across of one picture of Elisabeth in her bridal gown:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2cq1pgn.jpg
But it's true, it's quite odd that there aren't other pictures.

According to La Libre, the then Prince Albert's marriage to Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria was never countersigned by the government (why not?) as required by the Belgian Constitution.

As Evrard Raskin wrote in his biography of Queen Elisabeth, it was an oversight which went unnoticed by the media until after Albert I's inauguration as King of the Belgians.

Thanks Marengo , I guided a lot this Exhibition are was volonteer.
We had no pictures of their wedding. MAfan provides the only one of the Princess.
For her sister who married Prince Rupprecht of Baviera they are plenty.

Is this the complete photografe of the royal family? I thougt i had seen the foto at my grandmothers house in a more completed scène. Sorry i do' speak English, but i do ly best?

We will never know . When the Police and Judges of Dinant came to this very place the late King's Royal Body was already in Laeken.

An article below about the wedding of Prince Albert and Duchess Elizabeth in Munich, amid 'scenes of wild rejoicing'. Sadly, no photo, though.

The Cross of Laeken: Wedding of Albert & Elisabeth

Unusual that this couple met in 1897 at the funeral of an aunt of Elizabeth's. Wasn't it that of Elizabeth's aunt Sophie, once engaged to King Ludwig of Bavaria? I believe she perished in a dreadful fire in Paris that broke out when she was visiting a bazaar.

Last edited:
Yes, Sophie, Duchesse d' Alençon who was first engaged to King Ludwig II of Bayern.
Our Queen Elisabeth Godmother was Empress Sissi.

Unusual that this couple met in 1897 at the funeral of an aunt of Elizabeth's. Wasn't it that of Elizabeth's aunt Sophie, once engaged to King Ludwig of Bavaria? I believe she perished in a dreadful fire in Paris that broke out when she was visiting a bazaar.
Yes. Sophie Charlotte died in a fire at the Bazar de la Charité in Paris, France on May 4, 1897.

IIRC it was love at first sight for both of them. Later their courtship continued mainly in Paris, where they were hosted by Elisabeth's aunt Queen Marie Sophie of the Two Sicilies (née Duchess in Bavaria).

It was the first love Wedding in Belgium and the first pictures of Royals with their Children.
Leopold II did not like Prince Albet that much because he went once on a Montgolfière !!
He never gave jewels to Elisabeth even when the Heir Leopold future Leopold III) was born (1901)

King Albert I presented the victory medal in Stockel to the winner of the Belgium trial running championship in 1933.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/551908925

I believe King Albert I would have set up a provisional capital like King Haakon VII. Where would the best place be for Albert's provisional capital?

King Albert I welcomed King Haakon VII of Norway in 1920.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/537570933

Was the name Baudouin prominent for rulers in the history of Belgium before it became a monarchy?

Thank you for the information, maria-olivia. It is good when a historic name is reintroduced in the royal family.

King Albert I holding Baby in 1904.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/515133140

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video and picture.
I guided his Exhibition. He was aware that strange things will happen. Her sold his castle les Amerois for financial reasons.
He wrote a letter to his sister Joséphine saying he did not agree the 10 days Célébrations of his daughter Marie José's wedding in this difficult time.(it was organised by Mussolini.)
The 2 Accidental deaths in 1934 for King Albert and in 1935 for Queen Astrid changed all the story of our Monarchy.

Nice video and picture.
I guided his Exhibition. He was aware that strange things will happen. Her sold his castle les Amerois for financial reasons.
He wrote a letter to his sister Joséphine saying he did not agree the 10 days Célébrations of his daughter Marie José's wedding in this difficult time.(it was organised by Mussolini.)
The 2 Accidental deaths in 1934 for King Albert and in 1935 for Queen Astrid changed all the story of our Monarchy.
One do wonder how the fate of the Belgians would've been different during WWII had King Albert not had that accident.

And not the second wedding of Leopold III during the War !

One do wonder how the fate of the Belgians would've been different during WWII had King Albert not had that accident.

JR76, What do you think King Albert would have done in WWII?

JR76, What do you think King Albert would have done in WWII?

I believe he would probably have accompanied the government into exile in England while continuing to coordinate the resistance/ war effort against Germany from London. Pretty much like Queen Wilhelmina and King Haakon. I agree though that a WWI-like scenario would not have happened again, as the situation on the ground was completely different.

What do you think ?

I agree with you , but the Battle was not in Belgium. But his reputation all over the world was that important , he should have done the best for Belgium with a strong Queen Consort and not a Mistress !.

Last edited:
I agree with you , but the Battle was not in Belgium. But his reputation all over the world was that important , he should have done the best for Belgium witrh a strong Queen Consort and not a Mistress !.
A strong monarch in exile or remaining in the country could've done wonders for the morale of the Belgians as evident in the effects Wilhemina & Charlotte broadcasting weekly from their exile or Christian X riding his horse through Copenhagen every day had on their respective peoples.
As it was, even though he meant well, Leopold made a mess when he surrendered without the government's approval, worked against the interests of the Belgian people with his fighting with the government-in-exile and disregarding the resistance.
Had there been a king who acted differently it might have been easier to ease the suffering of the people or in general just lift their spirits.
For instance Queen Elisabeth managed to use her influence to save at least some of the Belgian Jews from deportation which in part, together with the Belgian's overall refusal to cooperate with the Nazi's persecution of the Jews, lead to a great share of them surviving the war showing what he could have done.
One wonders what Albert could've done.

Last edited:
You know quite well our history. I never understood King Leopold III's attitude !
He was very close to Queen Wilhemina and was the Godfather of Princess Beatrix. !

I agree with you , but the Battle was not in Belgium. But his reputation all over the world was that important , he should have done the best for Belgium with a strong Queen Consort and not a Mistress !.

Always amazed that some belgians still call Lilian "the mistress" ...
The question royale seems alive and well, 70 years later.

Nico , Unforgettable sentence of the belgians at that time
" Sire on croyait que vous étiez penché sur le malheur des Belges , mais vous l'étiez sur l'épaule d'une femme".....

Well "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ignore" ;)

Last edited:
Indeed. Queen Wilhelmina overcame her dislike for the Belgian royals because of her idea that the Von Sachsen-Coburgs are intruders. When she met King Leopold III she was charmed by his politesse, his respect towards her, his introvert personality.

In 2015 the National Archives opened correspondence between Queen Wilhelmina and King Leopold. It was "Cher cousin" and Chère cousine" between the two. The King constantly wrote Appeldoorn on the letters (Apeldoorn is the place where Het Loo Palace is located).

In between faits-divers about family, friends, Princess Beatrix (godchild of the King), also the danger of a new World War was food for discussion. Queen Wilhelmina urged Prime Minister Hendrik Colijn to talk with King Leopold about a joint initiative against the threathening danger.

King Leopold III surprised his Prime Minister Hubert Pierlot with announcing a joint initiative by the Benelux, the Scandinavian countries, Switzerland and Portugal. Prime Minister Colijn wrote to Queen Wilhelmina: "It seems the King has made concrete efforts in this matter, however in another direction than I did expect."

Queen Wilhelmina was won for King Leopold's idea of a summit of the eight countries, but Prime Minister Colijn remained sceptical: "The whole political and journalistic world, from Alaska to Cape Hoorn, from Spitsbergen to Cape the Good Hope would quack like ducks when suddenly Prime Ministers from eight smaller countries whould raise their voice."

In her correspondence to "Cher cousin" the Queen showed her disappointment with the lukewarm reception of their efforts. On August 23rd 1939 the King did an appeal to the leaders, on behalf of the Benelux and the Scandinavian states.

A day later the Germans and the Soviets agreed the Molotov-Von Ribbentrop Pact. One week later the world war started.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2012374-wilhelmina-moedigde-lieve-neef-leopold-aan.html

Back to King Albert Ier;
Prince Philippe Comte de Flanders became Heir ot the Throne of the belgians when Leopold , Leopold II's unique Son died when he was 10 years old.
Before , He refused the throne of Greece and Roumanie in 1866 and refused to be married to isabelle daughter of Emperor Pedro of Bresil.
His eldest Son Baudouin died in 1891 , Albert was only 16 years old. He asked in 1930 to Leopold and Astrid to give to their first Son the name of Baudouin. He loved so much his elder brother that another Baudouin would be King of the Belgians

Last edited:
Good question. The Leopold Order does not have a Collar. Perhaps a Norvegian Collar?

Back
Top Bottom