History of the National Holiday, 21 July

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paola

Aristocracy
City
Near the coast
Country
Netherlands
I would like to know more about the history of the National Day of Belgium.
The official website of the royal house mentioned this:

National Holiday, 21 July

The National Congress of 19 June 1831 decided by decree that the anniversary of the events of September 1830 would be celebrated each year by popular festivities. The law of 20 August 1880 stipulated that the National Holiday would be held on the third Sunday of August. This law was repealed by the law of 27 May 1890, which provided that 21 July, the anniversary of the swearing-in of King Leopold I, would become the date of the National Holiday. During the following two days, festivities would also be organised without those two days also becoming official public holidays. So 21 July 1890 was the first time that the National Holiday was celebrated on 21 July.
As far as the parade is concerned, a military and civil parade was held on 22 July 1890. In 1895, it took place on 23 July. It was only in 1905 that the date of the parade was fixed as 21 July. The parade usually takes place on the Place des Palais.
Is there for example, held a parade every year since 1890? (Except during the world wars probably)
This parade is always held in the presence of King / royal family?
Is Te Deum always been an integral part of the celebration of the National Day?
What kind of celebrations are there been more over the years as part of the National Day?
Is there footage of the celebration of ancient times, the middle of last century, for example?

Is there someone who can help on the way? I Googled to find out more, but unfortunately I have managed to find so far few facts.

Back
Top Bottom