The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Belgian Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

He wasn't a son of any royal, he probably was the true son of his "adoptive" mother, this has to be seen in the light of the the Dreyfus affaire.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How is that? I read that he was very 'anti-Dreyfus', but know not much more, helas.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Gentry

Yes, Charlotte (or Carlotta) and her husband did adopt, the one you mention (Agustín de Iturbide y Green (1863-1925)) but also his nephew Salvador de Iturbide y Marzan (1849-1895). They were both grandsons of Mexico's previous emperor. The two boys were indeed adopted for dynastic reasons.

Maxime Weygand was born on January 21 1867 in Brussels. But Charlotte didn't arrive in Brussels untill July 31 1867, that is stated in the book on Marie-Henriette written by Mia Kerckhove (same author as the one that wrote a book about Charlotte and Louise-Marie). That would mean that she either isn't the mother of Maxime Weygand or there was a 'mistake' in the birth certificate.

Any other information on other illegimate children one has read about?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Joan Haslip, in "Imperial Adventurer - Emperor Maximilian of Mexico and his Empress" has an interesting Appendix where she covers this issue. Jacques Weygand, the General's son, wrote in his book on his father that when Charlotte died in 1927, Weygand snr received letters advising that his mother had just died. The father of Weygand may have been Colonel Alfred Van der Smissen, and M. Sabbé, a former curator of the Royal Archives in Brussels told Ms Haslip that he "had not the slighest doubt of Van der Smissen having been the father." In his early youth Weygand had his education and fees for board and lodgings regularly paid by a Count Duchatel, a member of the Belgian Royal Household. Haslip discounts Leopold II as the father, as "the King made no mystery of his bastards, most of whom were openly acknowledged and provided for."

Haslip's conclusion: "So again we come back to Charlotte and those months of seclusion at Miramar [where her pro-Habsburg minders refused to allow visits from Charlotte's friends], of which so little is known, but where she may well have given birth to a child, who was secretly brought back to Belgium."
Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Gentry

You are right about that Warren. There is indeed a period of time where no-one had access to Princess Charlotte. So she could indeed have given birth during that time.
I also discount Leopold II as Weygand's father as king Leopold II did recognize two sons born out of wedlock and made sure they had enough money to live.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Gentry

So far, I've found this

Leopold I had 2 illegitimate children with Arcadie Claret (1826-1897): Georg Meyer von Eppinghoven (1849-1904) and Arthur Meyer von Eppinghoven (1852-1940).

Leopold II had 2 illegitimate children with Blanche Delacroix (1883-1948): Lucien Delacroix (1906-1984) and Philippe Delacroix (1907-1914)

There are rumours that king Albert I (1875-1934) also had an illegitime son, but thus far I haven't found a name nor a name of the so called mistress.

Leopold III (1901-1983) is suspected to be the father of Michel Didisheim (°1930), whose mother is Claire Maigret de Priches, but nothing is known about her. This accusation is based solemly to the fact that he resembles Leopold III and he got a title in the 1990's.

There's also a rumour of an illegitimate daughter (or was it son) with a Swedish lady-in-waiting of his wife Queen Astrid. The relationship is said to have started after Queen Astrid's death. No name is known to me at this point in time.

Prince Charles (or Karel in Flemmish)(1903-1983) had a relationship with a Jacqueline Wehrli (deferent spellings are known) in the 1930's and had a daughter with her: Isabelle (°1938), who was later adopted and named "Isabelle Wybo". Charles wasn't allowed to marry Jacqueline because she was just the daughter of a baker. That's why later on he had serious difficulties in accepting Lilian Baels as his sister-in-law, because she was the daughter of a fish-seller/politician and this seems to be one of the main reasons why there was some serious tension between Ostend and Laeken.

And last but not least we've got Delphine Boël (°1969), the illegitime daughter of King Albert II.

My question now is if somebody has some other information they would like to share. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Nobility

I recommend to read two books: " News of the Empire " of Fernando Del Paso and " Juarez and Maximiliano, the rock and the dream ", they are two important books it brings over of Maximiliano's empire in my country and is a history. Two books that for my, are documented well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Lila Rose;407605]-Albert 1 (*08.04.1975, +17.02.1934)
Prince of Belgium , Duke of Saksen , Prince of Saksen-Coburg-Gotha ,

QUOTE]

Thank you for the extensive genealogy here. I think, however, that a typo may have crept in: I underline it above.

Tags
belgian history, belgian royal family, genealogy, saxe-coburg-gotha