The Family of Prince Claus - The von Amsbergs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Facebook group Adel in Nederland focused on the Von Amsbergs today, the King's birthday.

The King is more "noble" than many European nobles: not only has he two noble parents, four noble grandparents, eight noble great-grandparents but even sixteen noble great-great-grandparents. Nobles in 2020 with 16 full quarters (30 blueblooded parents, grandparents etc.) are pretty rare.

From these sixteen great-great-grandparents four belong to the "Briefadel" (ennobled in the 1800's) and twelve great-grandparents belong to the "Uradel" (Old Nobility).

Briefadel:
Von Amsberg
Von Gutschmid
Von Salviati
Von Chelius

Uradel:
Von Passow
Von Vieregge
Von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen
Von dem Bussche-Ippenburg
Zur Lippe
Von Wartensleben
Von Cramm
Von Sierstorpff-Driburg
Von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
Von Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
Van Oranje-Nassau
Zu Waldeck und Pyrmont

With the new generation these 16 noble great-great-grandparents will be halved as Máxima has no noble ancestors.

Last edited:
With the new generation these 16 noble great-great-grandparents will be halved as Máxima has no noble ancestors.
Catharina Amalia will still, together with the unborn heir to Luxembourg & JW of Liechtenstein, be the future ruler (of somewhat the same age & generation) with the most blue blood.

Catharina Amalia will still, together with the unborn heir to Luxembourg & JW of Liechtenstein, be the future ruler (of somewhat the same age & generation) with the most blue blood.

What about the princess of Asturias; isn't her father also fully 'blue blooded'? With probably an even more impressive (more royal) list of ancestors?

Didn’t the von Amsbergs only officially receive the right to use von in the 1800s?

Didn’t the von Amsbergs only officially receive the right to use von in the 1800s?

Yes, see Duc_et_Pair's distinction between the Briefadel and the Uradel a few posts earlier.

What about Elisabeth of Belgium? Her mother's side of the family is mostly noble and includes some princes and princesses (by Mathilde's maternal grandmother) as well.

What about the princess of Asturias; isn't her father also fully 'blue blooded'? With probably an even more impressive (more royal) list of ancestors?
Her father yes, but not her mother.
In 1891 from the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. At the time I wrote my other post I thought that their noble status was older.

To be honest that post and the point I was trying to make is a mess [emoji1787]

Last edited:
Her father yes, but not her mother.

In 1891 from the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. At the time I wrote my other post I thought that their noble status was older.

To be honest that post and the point I was trying to make is a mess [emoji1787]
Amalia is in the same position as Leonor in that both their mothers aren't royal or noble (while Leonor's father has more royal blood than Amalia's father - as Felipe's parents were a prince of Spain (with royal ancestry on his mother's side as well) and a princess of Greece and Denmark (with royal ancestry on her mother's side as well - while Amalia's father was from the low German nobility).

Last edited:

You forgot Elisabeth of Belgium.

Heir to Luxemburg is two and a half now.

No,not really,we are talking the von Amsberg Family here.

No, the post which began the conversation to which Stefan replied talked about future rulers in general:

Back
Top Bottom