Queen Beatrix's Investiture: April 30, 1980

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread has been cleaned up. Unfortunately a lot of posts had to be removed because they contained broken links. I don't think we have anything left now -- but I hope members will be able to update this thread.

Investifure video / order of service

Hello,

I am looking for a full video of the investiture (inhuldiging in Nederlands) of Queen Beatrix, as well as an order of service.

I have seen clips, but perhaps someone has the full service they could share.

Thanks!

Those gifs are great! Beatrix was amazing with her white dress and I love the royal mante, it´s so queenly :p
Can´t wait to the inauguration on April! :)

Could someone provide a rough translation of what I assume are the members of the government said when they each stood up - it seemed like they said 1 of 2 things. Thanks!

The two things they said were:
1) 'Zo waarlijk helpe mij God almachtig' (So truly help me God almighty)
2) 'Dat beloof ik' (That I promise).

They said this in awnser to the following statement of the chairman: "We receive and honor, in name of the Dutch people and according to the constitution, you as queen. We swear or promise that we will maintain your inviolability and rights of the throne. We swear or promise to do everything what a good States General has to do. So truly help us god al mighty, that we promise.

The parlementarians of both houses of parlament (250 in total) have to swear or promise. The religious ones will chose the first option,the non-religious ones for the second option.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the explanation!

I re-watched the youtube video earlier and noticed that Infanta Pilar of Spain and her late husband,Don Luis Gómez-Acebo,Viscount de la Torre are sitting behind the Prince of Wales and the then Prince and Princess of Liege (Albert II/Paola of Belgium.)

HRH Infanta Pilar is wearing a distinctive black Spanish mantilla!

I love the part of the inauguration ceremony where Beatrix talks to her mother and announces that the Koninginnedag will still becelebrated on Juliana's birthday. Juliana looked so moved. :flowers:

One of Juliana's hobbies was amateur acting. And in this case it came in handy as she acted all surprised by Beatrix' announcement, but she actually signed the royal decree about it herself, a few days earlier. So it shouldn't have been all that surprising...

One of Juliana's hobbies was amateur acting. And in this case it came in handy as she acted all surprised by Beatrix' announcement, but she actually signed the royal decree about it herself, a few days earlier. So it shouldn't have been all that surprising...

LOL...True...but nobody except Juliana and Beatrix knew at the time
so I remember everybody was very much moved & teary-eyed indeed!

Haha, okay I see. :lol: Well, it was very well acted then. ;) It was a lovely gesture by Beatrix anyway.

It was? I never knew. Lol.

I found some nice pics

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b62229476c107de3b8c08c394a143b58/tumblr_mkpczxb56z1qg0umko1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/0c926df0073bb77a957ccfb628c7c6eb/tumblr_mkpczxb56z1qg0umko2_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/346d9aa4222632628a85647f7bbb036c/tumblr_mkpczxb56z1qg0umko3_500.jpg this is really really lovely!
flowers.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc2e332c8977be5a8a182e5a45e00957/tumblr_mkpczxb56z1qg0umko4_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/33d3c27c581283e736421831b03d7caa/tumblr_mkpczxb56z1qg0umko5_500.jpg

The then prime minister Dries van Agt thinks that the issues during this day might permanently have damaged his relationship with queen Beatrix. In an interview that was taped 7 years ago but only released today after his death (by euthanasia together with his wife) he explains that he had a somewhat difficult relationship; he thinks that is mostly due to how the inauguration day went and speculates that because of this he never was made 'Minister of State' (an honorary title with the style of Excellency granted by Royal Decree to former politicians with an impressive state of service) - normally former prime ministers do receive this title at some point (but for example also princess Marilene's father -as former Minister of Foreign Affairs and former European Commissioner- is a Minister of State).

The then prime minister Dries van Agt thinks that the issues during this day might permanently have damaged his relationship with queen Beatrix. In an interview that was taped 7 years ago but only released today after his death (by euthanasia together with his wife) he explains that he had a somewhat difficult relationship; he thinks that is mostly due to how the inauguration day went and speculates that because of this he never was made 'Minister of State' (an honorary title with the style of Excellency granted by Royal Decree to former politicians with an impressive state of service) - normally former prime ministers do receive this title at some point (but for example also princess Marilene's father -as former Minister of Foreign Affairs and former European Commissioner- is a Minister of State).

What exactly happened during inauguration day? Thanks in advance.

What exactly happened during inauguration day? Thanks in advance.

Riots: see for example this overview about the Amsterdam Coronation Riots (although queen Beatrix wasn't crowned but inaugurated) on Wikipedia. It was part of the squatter's movement and one of the most violent days in the Netherlands since World War II ended. They used the slogan 'geen woning, geen kroning' (no house, no crowning) as their was a huge housing crisis in Amsterdam at that time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom