Princess Beatrix & Prince Claus - Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her Majesty Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus in Amsterdam for Liberation day Mei 5 1994

Last edited:
Her Majesty Oueen Beatrix and Prince Claus in Amsterdam for liberation day Mei 5 1994

Last edited:
Those are great pictures Ropura, but I think this thread is about the time period from when before Beatrix was queen. It's like a thread for old pictures from the 60's and 70's mostly. I'm kinda protective of this thread because it's my favorite. I love to see older pictures of royal couples! Not to be nit-picky though - I mean, your pictures are wonderful and I've never seen them before! :)

Last edited:
SpiffyBallerina said:
Those are great pictures Ropura, but I think this thread is about the time period from when before Beatrix was queen. It's like a thread for old pictures from the 60's and 70's mostly. I'm kinda protective of this thread because it's my favorite. I love to see older pictures of royal couples! Not to be nit-picky though - I mean, your pictures are wonderful and I've never seen them before! :)

Oops! Sorry SpiffyBallerina! I didn't realize that either - that this is supposed to be pictures from before 1980 when Beatrix became Queen. But yes, I do notice now that the name of the thread is Princess Beatrix and not Queen Beatrix. Perhaps the requirements for posting here should have been spelled out in the first post (which BTW, has a post-1980 pic of the couple). I thought this thread was simply to be of pics and text of the couple at all periods of their relationship.:confused:

... and welcome to the forum Ropura:) ... it's always nice to see Dutch people posting in the Dutch part of the forum.

Last edited:
Great pictures of Beatrix and Claus during their summer holidays Squidy! Beatrix looks so happy with Claus! :)

re

Hi, I have a question.. Prince Bernard was HSH Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld, does this means that HM beatrix and her sisters are also Her Serene Highness (Princess of Lippe-Biesterfield) (I know that they are Princesses of Lippe-Biesterfield, but I don't know if they are also HSH)

Royal not Serene

Princess Robijn said:
Hi, I have a question.. Prince Bernard was HSH Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld, does this means that HM beatrix and her sisters are also Her Serene Highness (Princess of Lippe-Biesterfield) (I know that they are Princesses of Lippe-Biesterfield, but I don't know if they are also HSH)
Because they were born Princesses of a Royal House they have the style of Royal Highness. They also bear the subsidiary title of Princesses of Lippe-Biesterfeld, but their style is still Royal Highness. Queen Juliana had titles of Princess of the Netherlands and Duchess of Mecklenburg when she was born, but the Mecklenburg style of Highness was lesser to the Royal style.

However, the situation can work the other way, the best example being Her Serene Highness Princess Caroline of Monaco becoming Her Royal Highness the Princess of Hanover on her marriage to Prince Ernst August. She is still a Princess of Monaco by birth, but now of Royal rank, and the Serene is dropped.

er

thank you... but isn't it true that in some cases, it's both

like: HDSH = His Ducal Serene Highness

Princess Robijn said:
thank you... but isn't it true that in some cases, it's both
like: HDSH = His Ducal Serene Highness?
No, there is no such style.
You may be thinking of HGDH : His or Her Grand Ducal Highness.

I wasn't sure where to post this (because there is already a thread about hearing the royals speak), but I thought it was very appropriate for here since it's the whole Dutch RF speaking ENGLISH at the engagement of Princess Beatrix and Claus. They're SO sweet with each other!!! :eek:

Anyhoo, Queen Juliana, Prince Bernhard, Princess Beatrix, and Claus all speak English (Beatrix and Bernhard are flawless).

At the end of the text in the middle section, there is a video from BBC. Just click on the eye. The first video is an interview with the family but it's in Dutch (in case anyone is interested in that too).
http://www.vpro.nl/geschiedenis/anderetijden/index.shtml?4158511+2899536+2964147+3447367+3447426

Thanks SpiffyBallerina - I just love watching old videos of the Dutch RF and this one is great because I can actually understand what is being said (an added bonus).

I didn't expect the BBC interviewer to be so direct in his questions re. Claus's involvement with the Hitler Youth, but Claus handled himself very well, and he was also very smooth in deflecting the question regarding had he ever been in love before?

Beatrix talked of having to rush the official announcement of the engagement due to the publication of some pictures - what pictures were these?

Have you ever seen those fuzzy pictures of Claus and Beatrix in a garden? You can barely tell it's them, but those were the pictures that some photographers got while hiding in a bush in some palace garden. Since Beatrix lost so much weight, there was already speculation that the reason was a man, so photographers were determined to find out who the lucky man was - then came the picture and the identification of Claus. The rest is history as they say!

Gosh, it sounds like the paparazzi were out in full force even back in the 60s.

Thanks for explaining about the picture - I just saw it for the first time on the same site with the BBC video (http://www.vpro.nl/javascript/beeldvergroting/index.shtml?3448029). I thought it was an official picture, because Claus had his suit & tie on - but I guess that's what royalty wore to go courting in the 1960s:)

After the picture was taken the media was usy identifying the man, which took them days. I think for their engagement they received (among other things) bushes which were to be planted near the gate, so photographers would have no chance anymore, which I thought was rather funny. When the media finally identified the man all hell broke loose of course.

The same happened with Maxima. After pictures of WA and Maxima were published the media was looking for her. The biggest newspaper placed a picture on the frontpage, claiming it to be Maxima cycling on Texel (an island) with the prince and some friends, but it was just the wife of one of the friends of WA. They first identified her as Maxima Zimmerman, which caused some eyebrows to rise as many german Nazi's fled to Argentina after WWII, so people were thinking 'not again'. But in the end the outcome wasn't much better (about the family history I mean, not about the lady in question who is wonderful).

December 1976 The family on holiday in Lech, Austria. The solo picture of Claus is one of my favourite pictures of him.

(photos from Juliana Regina 1977)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice pictures, never sen them before either. Claus looks rather artistic, with that hat & coat :)

Marengo said:
Very nice pictures, never sen them before either. Claus looks rather artistic, with that hat & coat :)

Yeah, he does look like an artist in that hat & coat. I know Beatrix has quite a bit of artistic talent. Did Claus have any talents in that area?

I believe his talents were mostly appreciative...

Marengo said:
I believe his talents were mostly appreciative...

Oh well, I guess that is a talent too. Not everyone's ego can allow them to stand back & support others in their talents!;)

Was he into photography?? (I can't remember - I've been looking at so many older pics of the RF lately, that I'm getting confused. I know Bernhard was very into photography and I think Prof. Mr. Pieter likes to take pictures too.)

Yes, he was actually. Especially in the early days of his marriage, when his sons were still small.

Nice pictures Princess Beatrix! I agree - I love the older pics too! Beatrix & Claus do seem happy and full of enthusiasm for life, and not afraid to show their affection for each other!

Does anyone know: did they ever kiss each other in public?
never saw any picture of them. sadly. ;)

Princess Beatrix, I don't know if I've ever seen a picture of the couple kissing! I'll keep looking. Maybe some of the Dutch posters can help us out.

In the meantime, I found another picture of Beatrix & Claus from their Lech holiday in Dec 1976. I love this picture!

Photo: Vorsten

Squidgy said:
Princess Beatrix, I don't know if I've ever seen a picture of the couple kissing! I'll keep looking. Maybe some of the Dutch posters can help us out.

In the meantime, I found another picture of Beatrix & Claus from their Lech holiday in Dec 1976. I love this picture!

I never stumbled upon a picture of the two of them kissing, unfortunately, so I can't help you out on that one. In the meantime, we just have to stick to the wonderful picture you posted, Squidgy. I think I'm going to lock it up in my personal collection of great images of the DRF! Thanks for posting it! :)

Maxie said:
I never stumbled upon a picture of the two of them kissing, unfortunately, so I can't help you out on that one. In the meantime, we just have to stick to the wonderful picture you posted, Squidgy. I think I'm going to lock it up in my personal collection of great images of the DRF! Thanks for posting it! :)

Glad you like the picture too Maxie! :) I never tire of looking at pictures of the couple, especially in the earlier days (before she became Queen) & life was a bit more carefree! If only they had had more time together ....:(

Squidgy said:

Photo: Vorsten

Great picture. Thanks for sharing it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A little kiss

That's the only kissing-picture I found ;)

KISS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom