Past Problems between Maxima & the Queen?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel S.

Aristocracy
I was reading this old article in The Scots man & a part of it reads like this....

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands might brood over how much she dislikes her new daughter-in-law and could remind Queen Silvia of Sweden how much she adored her daughter, Princess Victoria, her son’s former love. Together they could mull over what might have been.

The wedding last weekend of Crown Prince Willem Alexander of the Netherlands to Maxima Zorreguieta, the daughter of an Argentinian politician, took place in front of the gritted teeth of Queen Beatrix. The guest list included kings, queens, Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary-General, and Nelson Mandela, but the bride’s mother and father were notable by their absence. Jorge Zorreguieta and his wife stayed away in order to spare the Dutch royal family further embarrassment over Zorreguieta’s past involvement in a government that executed or jailed thousands of political opponents.

The Queen’s objections to Zorreguieta are based as much on personal dislike as her father’s political abuses. Queen Beatrix attempted to stifle the relationship by banning her son from spending the night with his girlfriend. And when a wedding became inevitable she insisted that all Maxima’s friends run what they intended wear past her officials, lest they lower the tone of the event.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/s2.cfm?id=146932002

Okay is any of this true??? They mak it sound like Alex & Victoria were once an item (isn't there a big age difference?). They also make it sound like Beatrix hates Maxima for personal reasons other than the "father" issue.

well, that article seems to be written years ago. it was always said, and we can appreciate that in lots of photos that the queen and maxima have a great relationship.

The Scotsman is a serious newspaper, isn't it? The article looks like a german gossipmag-story.

I don't think this is correct I have never heard of W-A "dating or "in love" with Victora . However some of the rags do like to claim various single royals from diffrent houses are "hooking up" and they will cut & paste pictures of the "couple" to "prove it.
Wittykitty

I didn't think Willem and Victoria had ever been a couple either. I think they were pictured a few times together (a long time ago) talking, laughing and dancing at some royal function they both attended, but that doesn't necessarily make them a couple. I saw some pictures of Victoria talking and laughing with Haakon at Frederik and Mary's wedding but that doesn't mean that he was cheating on Mette-Marit and having an affair with Victoria either.

I think the media just likes to put single royals together because it draws attention and the curious-minded enough to purchase the magazine.

I had read from several sources (not all credible) that a possible reason for Queen Beatrix not initially liking Maxima was because of her father's past (the Queen didn't want controversy of that nature touching the royal family that had remained scandal free for so long) and because Maxima was such a strong-willed woman the Queen didn't know if she would be able to fit and mould in with the expectations and duties of a Crown Princess and future Queen. Again, just things I read in multiple publications -- not necessarily credible sources and not confirmed at all by the royal court. (Although I doubt they would ever confirm anything of that nature, right?)

Maxima and the Queen

Intersting thread, if you were a Queen and realized how difficult it is to always been in the public eye I would prefer my kids to marry someone who has grown up that way.

yeadonite said:
Intersting thread, if you were a Queen and realized how difficult it is to always been in the public eye I would prefer my kids to marry someone who has grown up that way.

Interesting point of view. That is sort of like thinking that royals should marry other royals because they understand and are familiar with the lifestyle, right? But like all things in life, it is not as clear cut as this.

A tired but true example is the marriage of Charles and Diana: An aristocratic born to the manor young woman marries the Prince of Wales, but despite the aristoractic and noble upbringing, the marriage is miserably unsuccessful.

Even though she has been on the job as Crown Princess for several years now, I think time of course will tell if a childhood and young adulthood lived in private has hindered or helped her role as the future Queen of Holland. But I think that when you look back at the first 2-3 years of Diana's undertaking on the role of Princess of Wales versus Maxima's first 2-3 years as Crown Princess of Holland, Maxima has definitely fared very well and been just as successful as Diana ever was at her height.

It's obvious that queen beatrix like Máxima al lot, she respects the way how máxima does her work as a newbe in The Netherlands!

It is not the same, we can't compare Diana to any other newly princess because Diana had many personal problems with her marriage, this is not the situation of Maxima, so probably with the support of Willem and the Queen, she is having more success in her new life.

Wow, that was an interesting read. However I too find that it is possibly from a German gossip magazine. I don't see any reason why HM would ever disapprove of the budding Maxima, except for her father (who watched the wedding with his wife from London), and the fact that she is extremly strong willed. I see no other reason however.

I would say regardless of what anybody else thinks, that W-A is happy with his choice, and as long as he's happy with her (and there's no evidence that he's not!), then it's okay with me. Maxima isn't in any way responsible for her father's decisions and choices in life, and though she may be strong-minded in ways, she apparently adores W-A and their baby, and that's what is most important in all families, not merely royal ones IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom