The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Princess Beatrix

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Then she, as I know, is smarter than many and has taken responsibility. Times change, resources change. It is still a cost to people who have less ability to keep giving the gift. It won't make a dent in her purse. Why are left-winger non entities. Are those on the right so perfect?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Then she, as I know, is smarter than many and has taken responsibility. Times change, resources change. It is still a cost to people who have less ability to keep giving the gift. It won't make a dent in her purse. Why are left-winger non entities. Are those on the right so perfect?

No,but they just don't nag that much,especially not towards those with an extra buck...

And,the people didn't give a hood either,it didn't make a dent in theirs either,taking in view
what a government messes around with moneywise and looses sight off in any given country.
This was absolute peanuts,but spilled peanuts as friends of friends of friends of people at the
ministry got contracts and mouth to mouth dealings.The ship isn't worth the amount spend on it,
that is another thing and true too.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lucien, I see your point. But the last sentence, really, says it all. It isn't worth it, so if you want it, pay for it yourself. Beatrix is a wonderful and gracious lady, I think she knows this.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

The royal family still uses the yacht?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes, it was a gift for the 18th birthday of Princess Beatrix. Part of the gift was that the maintenance and the operation would be done by the Royal Netherlands Navy.

The traditional ship is just a small yacht but build to the highest standards and that makes the maintenance so expensive. Look at the carved dragon on the steer behind the Princess (picture).
Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes; in 2015 there were again questions asked in government about the cost of maintenance (now close to 100000 eur), but it is still on the budget for 2016.

De Groene Draeck blijft veel geld kosten | NOS

translation
Old 02-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Yes; in 2015 there were again questions asked in government about the cost of maintenance (now close to 100000 eur), but it is still on the budget for 2016.

De Groene Draeck blijft veel geld kosten | NOS

translation
Of course it will remain on the budget, or the State should say: "Eh... Your Royal Highness, we gave it to you, we promised to operate it, to maintain it, but... eh, Ma'am, now you have to pay for our gift..."

But the costs are beyond belief indeed. 100.000 Euro for maintenance! This while a couple of years ago there was already such an amount for improvements. Beyond belief. Several companies have stated in media that they can do it cheaper. So maybe -as so often- the State is poor in getting best value for the money? But of course De Groene Draeck is no polyester yacht, it will always cost a fortune to keep that little boat afloat. Picture.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I must say, I do find it surprising that De Groene Draeck costs so much to maintain. Living near an estuary, I see many people with similar sized boats and wonder surely they haven't got £100,000 spare every year to keep it going.

But, I suppose it depends on how it is kept and maintained - cleaning the woodwork and touching up the paintwork, taking the sails down to wash etc, all this every week maybe instead of a couple of times a year. It will all add up to that amount I suppose.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course it will remain on the budget, or the State should say: "Eh... Your Royal Highness, we gave it to you, we promised to operate it, to maintain it, but... eh, Ma'am, now you have to pay for our gift..."

You and I posted at the same time, i didn't see that yours was posted first. My response was to Blog Real who asked whether it was still used; this is a valid question, it was quite well possible that the yacht had been retired by now, and if that had happened then it wouldn't have been on the budget anymore

So i don't see why the snide remark and smiley were necessary when i was just trying to answer a valid question
Old 02-15-2016, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

But the costs are beyond belief indeed. 100.000 Euro for maintenance! This while a couple of years ago there was already such an amount for improvements. Beyond belief. Several companies have stated in media that they can do it cheaper. So maybe -as so often- the State is poor in getting best value for the money? But of course De Groene Draeck is no polyester yacht, it will always cost a fortune to keep that little boat afloat. Picture.
You said it! They must be sweeping the deck with toothbrushes twice a day to justify that cost.
Or is the boat now in such a bad state?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You said it! They must be sweeping the deck with toothbrushes twice a day to justify that cost.
Or is the boat now in such a bad state?
The boat has been given in new-state in 1956 and has every year been maintained by the Rijkswerf (the immense State Wharf) in Den Helder, which maintains the fleet of the Royal Netherlands Navy. I can not imagine it is in a bad state.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Imo the best solution would be that P.Beatrix herself would say "i will pay for the maintenance from now on", that would save the government a lot of discussion. Don't think it will happen, but it is what i would do in her situation.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

It is mainly a symbolic discussion, to be honest. In the immense fleet of transportation for all the ministerial departments, all the state and civil services, the military, etc. (for an example: the Corps National Police alone has been delivered no less than 11.000 brand new Volkswagen surveillance cars in 2014 and 2015 !) the maintenance of the little sail yacht is probably one of the microscopic small independent posts on the State Budget.

It would be interesting to know what the budget is for other Statenjachten, for an example the yacht of the Province of Friesland. More or less similar ships as De Groene Draeck.

Princess Beatrix steering: picture

Statenjacht De Friso: picture

Statenjacht De Utrecht: picture
Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Royal Highness

Good point, as it turns out the Frysian media has indeed researched this topic and it turns out the maintenance of f.i. "De Friso" is a lot less, around 20000 euro a year
Kamer: onderhoud Groene Draeck moet voor minder | Fryslan1

translation
Old 02-16-2016, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

To be honest, the Friso, the Friesian Statenjacht is smaller and is more basic than De Groene Draeck which has been build to the highest standard. It is also not clear what the costs exactly include. De Groene Draeck is sailed by the Royal Navy. Does that mean that when military from the Royal Navy sail the ship and make it ready for Princess Beatrix, that these costs are included? All by all it is the traditional annual hiccup, like the costs of the Fokker airplane. Discussion flares up and then it calms down again.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 AM
Royal Highness

Dutch prime-minister Rutte is under critique over misinforming the dutch government about the maintenance costs of the "Groene Draeck"
Onderhoud schip Beatrix tonnen duurder, Rutte zei jarenlang niets - RTL Nieuws

translated
Old 02-27-2016, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The Department of Defense has stressed that the Second Chamber (the Lower House) knew about these costs because in September the Prime Minister has sent a letter to the Chamber, to inform about overspending up to € 223.000,-- Because the additional costs could be covered inside the Defense Budget (the maintenance is done by the Rijkswerf in Den Helder), no extra posts were needed inside the Budget.

The story "maintenance of the De Groene Draeck tonnes more expensive" is true but not new anyway. Everybody could see in the State Budget that in 2014 the standard annual maintenance has been raised from € 60.000,-- to € 95.000,--. This because the standard annual budgeted sum of € 60.000,-- was structurally overspend. So the new budgeted sum of € 95.000,-- should cover that, to get it more in line with reality.

The hullabaloo is about the years 2011-2012-2013 when this overspending apparently was not specifically accounted to the Second Chamber but was compensated elsewhere on the Defense Budget.

The maintenance costs of the De Groene Draeck are beyond belief. I have the idea that the Rijkswerf -without any problem- attributes the most ridiculous posts to the De Groene Draeck. Maybe the State should let the maintenance of the De Groene Draeck be done by a commercial wharf, but that would be painful for the own Rijkswerf, exposing it as an arch-expensive, in-efficient and badly managed state service. The maintenance of the naval fleet is also always and always overspent and the costs are astronomic. It is possible that when the State gives the De Groene Draeck and the naval fleet to wharfs in France, Germany or Poland, that the costs are easily halved...

„Kamer wist van meerkosten Groene Draeck” - Binnenland - RD.nl