Abdication Issues & Rumours (2008-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another article about the rumors that Queen Beatrix will announce her abdiaction today
MonarquÃ*a Confidencial
I like Wa and Máxima... anyway I hope it's not true (and somehow it's hard for me to belive that it's true). I hope Bea will stay Queen a little longer.

Last edited:
If she does this today then Willem-Alexander gets a reign of 36 years before he gets to announce HIS abdication on Catharina-Amalia's 42nd Birthday. Although, I would be surprised if Williem IV, as a man, ever abdicated.

Another article about the rumors that Queen Beatrix will announce her abdiaction today
MonarquÃ*a Confidencial
I like Wa and Máxima... anyway I hope it's not true (and somehow it's hard for me to belive that it's true). I hope Bea will stay Queen a little longer.

I do not think that will be announced. Maybe later.​

If Willem-Alexander will be king, would Amalia then be styled as Princess of Orange?

I hope she doesn´t abdicate. I really like Willem-Alexandre and Maxima, but...I don´t know, I think it´s too soon for them. Wait a few years more, please!

The title Hereditary Princess of Orange doesn't excist.

Josette

Here is an article in a Danish newspaper that discusses the abdication rumors.

http://kpn.dk/blitz/article1675532.ece

The article talks about the rumors that Queen Beatrix would abdicate on the Prince of Orange's birthday. It says that this is the 3rd or 4th time these rumors have been spread this year.

Last edited:
Have there been many (more than 3 or 4 say) times in the past when media outside Holland or Argentina have picked the story up like this?

I find it hard to believe that a story like this would be one that the media would get one up (i.e. finding out to before they ought to) on the RVD or anyone else who knows... More likely to me that should there be rumours of abdication then an announcement in the next couple of days its just sheer good luck.

Have there been many (more than 3 or 4 say) times in the past when media outside Holland or Argentina have picked the story up like this?

I find it hard to believe that a story like this would be one that the media would get one up (i.e. finding out to before they ought to) on the RVD or anyone else who knows... More likely to me that should there be rumours of abdication then an announcement in the next couple of days its just sheer good luck.

Media is the media and picks up on this story each and every year.Says a lot on the lack of grey cells doesn't it.

Wikipedia is, like this forum, staffed and contributed to by volunteers. Mmore often than not, there are some inaccuracies, so it is best to take what you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

Wikipedia is, like this forum, staffed and contributed to by volunteers. Mmore often than not, there are some inaccuracies, so it is best to take what you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

The last Princess of Orange was Anna Pavlovna,nee Grandduchess of Russia.Sophie wasn't I think.More often than not,Wiki is totally wacko.
It is not a heriditary title,it is to the Monarch to bestow and only Him/Her.

Last edited:
The German Boulevard magazine declares at the cover of it's new issue Maxima as sooner Queen.

BUNTE – Das Heft Nr. 19: Inhaltsverzeichnis - BUNTE

The cover can be translated as: Princess Maxima - SOON QUEEN - In the Netherlands it is talked about a change on the throne - The daughter-in-law of Queen Beatrix will be the most shining monarch in Europe

We can think what we want, but I don't think that there will be an abdication in the next days. I think that Beatrix will gain Willem-Alexander and Maxima more time to enjoy their family life.

The last Princess of Orange was Anna Pavlovna,nee Grandduchess of Russia.Sophie wasn't I think.More often than not,Wiki is totally wacko.
It is not a heriditary title,it is to the Monarch to bestow and only Him/Her.

As Empress said, wikipedia is nog always accurate. In this case it isn't because the title Hereditary Prince or Hereditary Princess of Orange doesn't excist.

Technically the wife takes the title of her husband so Princess Máxima IS the Princess of Orange. However at the time of the engagement/wedding of the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima it was made known that she would not be adressed as Princess of Orange. That doesn't mean she isn't the Princess of Orange.

But this should be another thread. :flowers:

Queenece29, thank you for posting this link. Now, it is explained that Beatrix abdication is a mere rumor. Wonder if media were blabbing about abdication so many times this year because they wanted to force palace to make some statement and get some info when potential abdication is possible.

Former Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers (CDA), stated in the political programme Buitenhof that he hoped that Queen Beatrix would stay on for a while longer. He also said that although WA is of the same age of his mother when she became queen, his consort is not. Prince Claus was older and prince Claus was in the Netherlands for a longer time too.

A column in Dutch by Afshin Ellian, that appeared in the political magazine Elsevier:

Elsevier.nl - Weblog - Waarom koningin Beatrix nog niet aftreedt (in Dutch only)

He gives his view of Ruud Lubbers words. and claims that the main reason why Beatrix will not abdicate now is that Maxima still has to gain more respect and authority. She is extremely popular but it is easier to be queen of the gossip press than to be a serious queen to everybody. This is the secret in The Hague, he claims. He says that prince Claus was a European, intellectual aristocrat while Maxima is a cheerful latina, she is able to appeal to youngsters but she still has a lot to learn before she gains the amount of respect that prince Claus had.

He also mentions Maxima's remarks that the typical dutchman does not exist and claims that she is too much in the direction of the 'multicultural' green-left party.

Last edited:
In Pictures: World's Richest Royals - Queen Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, Netherlands - Forbes.com

Fortune of Queen Beatrix and her family has been hit by declines in real estate and equities. Also rumored to have lost up to $100 million when Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme collapsed, though the royal house denies the allegations. Narrowly avoided injury in May when a man drove his car into a crowd of parade spectators on Queen's Day, killing eight, including the driver, and almost hitting the open bus in which the queen and her family were riding. Rumored to be considering stepping down so that her eldest son, Willem-Alexander, can ascend the throne.

Would she really do that? Is there a history/tradition of abdication rather than serving as monarch until one dies (like with the British royals)?

Is there a tradition of abdication within the royal house? I don't know about the politics of the Netherlands but I believe a Monarch should serve as long as physically possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a tradition of abdication within the royal house? I don't know about the politics of the Netherlands but I believe a Monarch should serve as long as physically possible.

No,there is no tradition,even though two Queens abdicated,it is not a rule nor tradition.
Please read the previous posts,I think it has been explained before.:)

It was more Wilhelmina's respect for Charles V,who abdicated when he felt he was no longer capable due to his health,
that made Wilhelmina abdicate,she was tired.Same for Juliana.When they get tired and senile,all Monarchs should step
down as their role would just be a mere farce.

Queen Beatrix is one of my favourite European Monarchs,I hope she never abdicates or if she does,she retains her title of Queen .

Of course Máxima will became queen! The consorts of the late kings were, why shouldn't her be too? Queen Sophie, Queen Emma, they all hold that title. This is not a doubt. What I doubt if Beatrix will become a HRH like her mother and grandmother, since it's strange to see a reigning queen called "Queen Mother".

Dutch former PM Ruud Lubbers referred to HM the Queen in her future position/role as a mother of the King as Queen Mother.. But the title of Queen Mother does not really exist, its more a sort of official/unofficial style.

This question is not an easy thing. One would guess - because Dutch royals always do their best to look humble and are very aware of the history of their family - that Beatrix would assume the same title as her mother and grand mother have after their reigns. One must note that this is not a very long standing tradition.. and it is linked only to abdications in favour of a daughter.

There is no reason why HM The Queen should not be referred to after her abdication as HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands or (un)officially as Queen Mother. And I can imagine since The Queen has reigned in quite the opposite manner, compared to the personal reigns of her mother and grandmother, that HM will not necessarily choose the same style as they have after their abdications.

There is no reason why HM The Queen should not be referred to after her abdication as HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands or (un)officially as Queen Mother. And I can imagine since The Queen has reigned in quite the opposite manner, compared to the personal reigns of her mother and grandmother, that HM will not necessarily choose the same style as they have after their abdications.

When a King or Queen abdicates they not only give up the position but also the title so Beatrix would revert to her original title of Princess.
Personally, I hope she never abdicates as she is one fantastic monarch. As it has been pointed out before, just because Wihelmina and Juliana abdicated does not make it a tradition. The majority of Dutch monarchs have not abdicated.

Last edited:
When a King or Queen abdicates they not only give up the position but also the title so Beatrix would revert to her original title of Princess.
Personally, I hope she never abdicates as she is one fantastic monarch. As it has been pointed out before, just because Wihelmina and Juliana abdicated does not make it a tradition. The majority of Dutch monarchs have not abdicated.

When a King or Queen abdicates they do not necessarily give up their title: King Leopold III of Belgium, for instance, was referred to after his abdication as: HM King Leopold of Belgium.

When a King or Queen abdicates they do not necessarily give up their title: King Leopold III of Belgium, for instance, was referred to after his abdication as: HM King Leopold of Belgium.

The same asd Grand Duchess Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. But is not regulated in the new Act of Membershiop of the Royal House that an abdicated dutch Monarch will be Prince/Princess? If this is the case Beatrix will have no choose as her mother and grandmother had.

Untill now the majority of Dutch monarchs have actually abdicated..

William I - abdicated
Wilhelmina - abdicated
Juliana - abdicated

William II - didnt abdicate
William III - didnt abdicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom