Abdication Issues & Rumours (2008-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
As the press will talk about an abdicxation for the years to come, we might create a thread for it. For the moment we just have 1 thread which is more about your opinion about an abdicaion, which can be found here.

According to NOS there are more illigal immigrants from China. The immigrants think that there will be an abdicatio soon and that during the enthronement there is the habit for the new monarch to give a 'general pardon'. As it was publisehed yesterday I suppose it isn't an April Fools joke.

Last edited:
As the press will talk about an abdicxation for the years to come, we might create a thread for it. For the moment we just have 1 thread which is more about your opinion about an abdicaion, which can be found here.

According to NOS there are more illigal immigrants from China. The immigrants think that there will be an abdicatio soon and that during the enthronement there is the habit for the new monarch to give a 'general pardon'. As it was publisehed yesterday I suppose it isn't an April Fools joke.

Hundreds of Chinese have reported themselves as asylum seekers.As no-one had a clue as to why that was,(they never show up in these numbers,the chinese that is),it turned out there are these strong rumours in the chinese community that HM Queen Beatrix will abdicate soon and when Alexander will become Willem IV Alexander there will be a general pardon.

Suppose someone is making a lot of money on human-trafficking here,and invented these rediculous rumours,as
"The Hague" absolutely denies anything on HM and a possible abdication.
These poor people have been lured into some adventure with head nor tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday the programme 'Goedemorgen Nederland' had an item about an abdication, the year review of the NOS had an eventual abdication as main theme etc. As basis they only have 2 things: the restaurations of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and that of Castle Drakensteyn (where HM is supposed to retire). However for this years HM has already 2 state visits planned and her health seems to be in an excellent state.

Yesterday the programme 'Goedemorgen Nederland' had an item about an abdication, the year review of the NOS had an eventual abdication as main theme etc. As basis they only have 2 things: the restaurations of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and that of Castle Drakensteyn (where HM is supposed to retire). However for this years HM has already 2 state visits planned and her health seems to be in an excellent state.

Did she not say during one of her State Visits last year that her Calendar is quiet fuill for the next 2 or 3 years.

The thing is I think none of these 'signals' - statevisits, buildings being restored, health, historical dates - mean anything to begin with.

It's pretty obvious the abdication will happen somewhere between now and 5 years from now. But the only one who knows (eventually) when it will be is the queen herself. Statevisits can be cancelled at the last moment, unrestored buildings can function if needed, etc.

This whole speculation thing in the media therefore imho is getting irritating. They've been wrong on so many many occasions. I think Queen B is gonna surprise them all and will announce her abdication at a moment when no one expects it.

Heck, I think when the newsguys get bored, they pull out stories like this, paste in some new graphics, and re-run them.

The problem is that Amalia is too young to have the work of a Crown Princess, and even if Prince Constanjin and Prince John Friso can do this, it's not the same thing. And Beatrix is already 70, if she will wait for Amalia became 18, she will have to wait more then 10 years! Her mother Juliana abdicated (and ruled 31 years) when she was 71 and the Princess was 42. Noow the Queen is 70 (ruling for 28 years till now) and the prince is 41. Will see wait one year more? I don't think so. She will wait for Amalia, I guess.

Why would she wait for Amalia? Surely if Beatrix abdicates then it's Willem-Alexander who'll become King of the Netherlands?

Of course. But it's what I said: If Willem-Alexander became the king when Amalia is still under the age of doing the work of a Crown Princess, who is going to do?

Of course. But it's what I said: If Willem-Alexander became the king when Amalia is still under the age of doing the work of a Crown Princess, who is going to do?

I don't think it necessary. Willem-Alexander was 13 when Beatrix became Queen and Beatrix was only 10 years old when Queen Wilhelmina abdicated in 1948.

Apologies for jumping in but I don't follow the Dutch royals closely so was surprised by this thread. Is it a definite that B will abdicate in the near future (even if she is in good health) or are these just rumours?

Almost always around the New Year there are some rumours about abdication or just look at our threads - what would happen with the royal in next year?

Abdication it's almost tradition for the Netherlands monarchs.

Btw. what usually monarchs are doing on 'general pardon'?

I can see Beatrix reigning for another 5 years. She's still young at heart!

I think that she'll wait a couple more years until WA's girls get a little older (maybe when they are all in school).

Is there a special reason or is it just tradition?

Tradition. However her mother was not in good health, just like her grandmother, when they abdicated. I don't see Máxima as queen now, she is mother of a baby yet!

I really don't think Maxima having a baby or becoming preggers as a Queen is a problem. That's not going to stop Queen B. The only thing that might have her wait a few years I think is her wanting WA and Maxima to have a few more quiet years before they become king/queen, because she herself experienced those years as her most happiest. But at the same time I think she does not want WA to have to wait too long. It's not good if an heir has to wait untill he is 50-60 imho. Not here anyway. I also think Juliana was in excellent health when she abdicated so I don't think that had much to do with it. Of course, when you're older it becomes harder.

Amalia won't have much official tasks untill she is 18 or when she finishes university. Laurentien and Constantijn will move back to H once WA becomes king so they will take over many duties in the meantime.

As for a general pardon I don't think any prisoners will be released. There's no way anyone would accept that.

Any speculation on a possible abdication is not only premature but ungreatfull too for the work HM does/has done for the past 29 years.
It's not on the agenda for years to come as HM still very much enjoys her work.

I don't believe that HM will abdicate this year. It was said that she would wait until Willem-Alexanders and Maximas children are older. She will work until her health would not allow it anymore to reign.

I personally hope that Queen Beatrix reigns for the rest of her life. I'm not a fan of abdication...must be the British in me :lol:

That being said, I think we'll see an abdication sometime in the next 5 years.

I personally hope that Queen Beatrix reigns for the rest of her life. I'm not a fan of abdication...must be the British in me :lol:

That being said, I think we'll see an abdication sometime in the next 5 years.

We'll see.

I don't think there will be an abdication. I'm not old enough to remember either of Beatrix's abdicating predecessors, but Beatrix just seems different. I don't know how exactly to quantify it. She just seems like she simply is a Queen, rather than her mother, who seems like she was an extremely nice woman who happened to do the job of Queen for a little while.

King William I abdicated when he was 68yrs old, because he wanted to marry a second time to a catholic Belgian Countess and the country was against it

King William II died during his reign
King William III also died during his reign

Queen Wilhelmina abdicated when she was 68yrs old because she was worn out by the Second World War and dissapointed in the fact that the Dutch government was not keen on introducing the reforms she thought necessary after WOII

Queen Juliana abdicated when she was 71yrs old, officialy she retired because her physical powers were declining, some scholars suggest that she abdicated because her role and that of her husband was severely damaged because of the Lockheed affair (her husband Prince Bernhard had taken bribes from the Lockheed firms)

So officially there is no tradition, if HM the Queen wants to stay on the throne she can, if she becomes sick and cant perform her duties anymore a regent can be appointed.

Conclusions: discussions on the abdication of Queen Beatrix are interesting but the only one who knows is the Queen this is confirmed by official and unofficial sources from the palace they all say that HM has never talked about abdication seriously

I don't think there will be an abdication. I'm not old enough to remember either of Beatrix's abdicating predecessors, but Beatrix just seems different. I don't know how exactly to quantify it. She just seems like she simply is a Queen, rather than her mother, who seems like she was an extremely nice woman who happened to do the job of Queen for a little while.

Queen Wilhelmina was also 'simply the Queen' nevertheless she abdicated...

I think the unofficial tradition of the abdication of Dutch monarchs has to do with their role of Stadholder before the introduction of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in the beginning of the nineteenth century. Although the title and 'job' of Stadholder was for life, it was much more a functional role and much less a 'royal' one where the monarch is the representation and the head of the state. I dont know of any abdicating stadholders, would have to do some research, but it does make sense somehow.

No stadholder ever abdicated, and unfortunately many of them died relatively young. Stadholder Willem V however signed a document in December 1801 in which he recognised the French rule over the seven provinces. By doing so he resigned his rights as stadholder, in the hope to get something in return (Fulda and Corvey). The stadholder hestitated for a long time though, and was only convinced after a lot of pressure from his son Willem (the future king Willem I) and his wife Wilhelmina.

The main reason why Willem I abdicated was probably his disappointment about the seperation of the Southern Netherlands and the unwillingness of the Northern elites to help him get that part of his kingdom back. If he would have been able to rule his kingdom succesfully it is very unlikely he would have married the catholic, Belgian countess Henriëtte d'Oultremont.

No stadholder ever abdicated, and unfortunately many of them died relatively young. Stadholder Willem V however signed a document in December 1801 in which he recognised the French rule over the seven provinces. By doing so he resigned his rights as stadholder, in the hope to get something in return (Fulda and Corvey). The stadholder hestitated for a long time though, and was only convinced after a lot of pressure from his son Willem (the future king Willem I) and his wife Wilhelmina.

The main reason why Willem I abdicated was probably his disappointment about the seperation of the Southern Netherlands and the unwillingness of the Northern elites to help him get that part of his kingdom back. If he would have been able to rule his kingdom succesfully it is very unlikely he would have married the catholic, Belgian countess Henriëtte d'Oultremont.

Thanks for the info.. :) really interesting facts about the Stadholders btw

I was sure that William I had married the belgian countess. I read about a trip to the Netherlands they made together after his abdication. They were referred to as the count and countess of Nassau (?)

Technicalities such as these aside, in my posts I was trying to show that there is no official tradition for abdication in the Netherlands

thanks for the correction..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom