Abdication Issues & Rumours (2008-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think her HM the Queen, will not become HM Queen Beatrix after her abdication, but she might be informally referred to as the Queen-Mother, as former Premier Lubbers has already done in the programma Buitenhof. If she would remain a Majesty and a Queen, this would be too confusing for the international and Dutch public.

HM the Queen will become HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nasssau.... once more..

Last edited:
I don't see why it's supposedly confusing? Surely people can distinguish between the spouse of the monarch and a dowager? They seem to manage fine elsewhere.

It's a very weird practice from this foreigners point of view.

I don't see why it's supposedly confusing? Surely people can distinguish between the spouse of the monarch and a dowager? They seem to manage fine elsewhere.

Tru. I found it even more confusing aftern the death of Queen Juliana when she one the onen side was stilladressed as Princess but on the other side it was said that she now would be called Queen like it's now done.

We are a country ruled by populists these days.. things cannot be unclear in any way..

I can imagine this is strange for foreigners, but our last two monarchs were referred to as princesses after abdicating, for Dutch citizens it has become a normal practice, and it also generates popularity and affection showing this kind of modesty.
Tru. I found it even more confusing aftern the death of Queen Juliana when she one the onen side was stilladressed as Princess but on the other side it was said that she now would be called Queen like it's now done.
When Premier Balkenende annouced that Princess Juliana would from that moment on be known once more as Queen Juliana, As a Dutch citizen I did not experience this as confusing, it felt as if they were honouring her by annoucing this so publicly. Besides this, after death, royals and especially kings and queens are usually referred to by their highest rank

Remember that we had several periodes in history without the Orange dynasty, We had two Stadholderless periods and King William II remembered this very well, when he turned from conservative to liberal in one night. The Queen will save her honour and the honour of her dynasty, but in the Netherlands this never happens by clinging on to a certain form of power or position. Things are open to change, and so I believe are the Queen and her heir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think her HM the Queen, will not become HM Queen Beatrix after her abdication, but she might be informally referred to as the Queen-Mother, as former Premier Lubbers has already done in the programma Buitenhof. If she would remain a Majesty and a Queen, this would be too confusing for the international and Dutch public.

HM the Queen will become HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nasssau.... once more..

Hello Bartholomeus.

After her abdication Queen Beatrix will automatically become Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. There is no any Royal Decree or other handling needed for that. The Royal House Act 2002 says:

Article 7

The presumed succesor to the King bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange.

Article 8

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

Article 9

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau.

In the long legislative process which resulted in the modernized Royal House Act 2002, the lawmaker showed the intention to have the title of King exclusively be used by the Sovereign. And the title of Prince of Orange exclusively by the Heir.

:flowers:

Henri.

Last edited:
When Premier Balkenende annouced that Princess Juliana would from that moment on be known once more as Queen Juliana, As a Dutch citizen I did not experience this as confusing, it felt as if they were honouring her by annoucing this so publicly. Besides this, after death, royals and especially kings and queens are usually referred to by their highest rank

Bzut why was she then referred on the specialMemorialWebsite of the Royal House as princess and not as Queen.See here: The Dutch Royal House
And ifi remeberright the Priest referredto her during the funeral Service also as Princess Juliana not as Queen Juliana

Hello Bartholomeus.

After her abdication Queen Beatrix will automatically become Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. There is no any Royal Decree or other handling needed for that. The Royal House Act 2002 says:

Article 7

The presumed succesor to the King bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange.

Article 8

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

Article 9

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau.

In the long legislative process which resulted in the modernized Royal House Act 2002, the lawmaker showed the intention to have the title of King exclusively be used by the Sovereign. And the title of Prince of Orange exclusively by the Heir.

:flowers:

Henri.

I did not know of this act, but it makes sence. though people might informally refer to Beatrix as Queen Mother after the abdication, anyhow..

Bzut why was she then referred on the specialMemorialWebsite of the Royal House as princess and not as Queen.See here: The Dutch Royal House
And ifi remeberright the Priest referredto her during the funeral Service also as Princess Juliana not as Queen Juliana

I personally think Queen Juliana during her life never wanted to be Queen and the vicar (not a Priest) referred to that personal desire.

I personally think Queen Juliana during her life never wanted to be Queen and the vicar (not a Priest) referred to that personal desire.

OK but that is what it made confusing.

Not only the priest called her princess, but everybody did. In the press and 'on the street'. But after a few years most are using 'queen' at the moment. I personally prefer the Luxembourg situation too, but it can not be changed anymore (and any abdicating monarch who would change it would be considered a snob by public opinion).

When a monarch abdicates they give up the title as well as the office, only the widow of a king can become queen mother or dowager queen.

When a monarch abdicates they give up the title as well as the office, only the widow of a king can become queen mother or dowager queen.

This is not true, Belgian King Leopold III became HM King Leopold after abdicating. And the first William to become king of the Netherlands styled himself King William Frederick, Count of Nassauafter abdicating in 1840.

Not only the priest called her princess, but everybody did. In the press and 'on the street'. But after a few years most are using 'queen' at the moment. I personally prefer the Luxembourg situation too, but it can not be changed anymore (and any abdicating monarch who would change it would be considered a snob by public opinion).

I think Beatrix could 'get away with it', but she wont off course..

royalty in the news summarizes a recent de telegraaf article showing the crown princely couple are doing more engagements this year than last year, and beatrix is doing fewer, and that many see this as another sign of abdication sooner rather than later:
Dutch Crown Princely Couple Noticably Doing More Duties « Royalty in the News

Just because the Queen is doing fewer engagements does not mean she is necessarily going to abdicate - it could just be that she is getting on a bit and wants to slow down while still continuing as monarch.

royalty in the news summarizes a recent de telegraaf article showing the crown princely couple are doing more engagements this year than last year, and beatrix is doing fewer, and that many see this as another sign of abdication sooner rather than later:
Dutch Crown Princely Couple Noticably Doing More Duties « Royalty in the News

The Telegraaf,a pulp morning paper,had the article due to publication at the Royal House website,it wasn't theirs to figur out
allthough they love the feathers in their butt for scoops where there are none.

Het Koninklijk Huis

I really don't think Beatrix would abdicate soon, for the children of W-A and Maxima are still very young and Beatrix herself said that she was thankful for the time she spent with her family when she was the heir to the throne.

It is quite common for the Dutch Monarch to stand down at some stage,but i think its a great pity,especailly as Beatrix is in such good health,and another odd thing is ,that when this happens,as in Beatrix Mothers case,they revert to the title Princess,and not Queen Mother.?

PS/ As in the case of HM Queen Elizabeth11 of the UK,her mother was refered to as HM Queen Elizabeth in Court circles,but was commonly refered to as HM The Queen Mother,a title she apparently hated.

PS/ As in the case of HM Queen Elizabeth11 of the UK,her mother was refered to as HM Queen Elizabeth in Court circles,but was commonly refered to as HM The Queen Mother,a title she apparently hated.

We are aware of that,yes,but it is of no consequence to us,nor opportune at present.

It is quite common for the Dutch Monarch to stand down at some stage,but i think its a great pity,especailly as Beatrix is in such good health,and another odd thing is ,that when this happens,as in Beatrix Mothers case,they revert to the title Princess,and not Queen Mother.?

That's because, traditionally, the title of 'Queen Mother' is reserved for Dowager Queens - meaning Queens who are widows of deceased King regents.

The title of Queen mother was actually rarely ever used. For example Queen Mary, wife of George V, was referred to as HM Queen Mary after the death of her husband.

Queen Elizabeth was referred to as Queen mother to avoid confusion with her daughter, Elizabeth II.

When Beatrix does abdicate, she will revert to her title of HRH Princess Beatrix. Dutch parliament could pass a law allowing to keep her title of Queen, but that probably won't happen.

When that happens willem Alexander and maxima will be king and queen of the Netherlands and like every crown prince willem was educated to be king so I guess he's ready to be king since that time is coming.

That's because, traditionally, the title of 'Queen Mother' is reserved for Dowager Queens - meaning Queens who are widows of deceased King regents.

The title of Queen mother was actually rarely ever used. For example Queen Mary, wife of George V, was referred to as HM Queen Mary after the death of her husband.

Queen Elizabeth was referred to as Queen mother to avoid confusion with her daughter, Elizabeth II.

When Beatrix does abdicate, she will revert to her title of HRH Princess Beatrix. Dutch parliament could pass a law allowing to keep her title of Queen, but that probably won't happen.

Queen Wilhelmina started the 'tradition' of going back to the title 'princess' as she wanted to die with the same title that she was born with (at least she says so in her autobiography). Indeed, it will not be changed.

When that happens willem Alexander and maxima will be king and queen of the Netherlands and like every crown prince willem was educated to be king so I guess he's ready to be king since that time is coming.
how do you know time is coming? in The Netherlands, its commom for the monarch to abdicate (or at least since Queen Wilhelmina), and im certain that Queen Beatrix will abdicate in favour of her son, but as she stated, she will be monarch as long as possible for the Crown Prince and his family to treasure the family moments, she didnt have with her family.
so to keep "tradition" she will abdicate, but not for now, maybe in the next years to come, but not now.

I'm horrified that Queens Wilhelmina & Juliana ever abdicated. It's like a demotion, telling the world you're worth less now because you're "old". I hope Queen Beatrix never abdicates!

to abdicate doesnt means that you are just old, Queen Whilhemina was exausted with all the dificulties and social/war issues, she was a great Queen who in her years as the monarch of dutch people fought to keep her people together and protect her kingdom. she did abdicate but not because she was worth less as a old women.

to abdicate doesnt means that you are just old, Queen Whilhemina was exausted with all the dificulties and social/war issues, she was a great Queen who in her years as the monarch of dutch people fought to keep her people together and protect her kingdom. she did abdicate but not because she was worth less as a old women.

She,HM Queen Wilhelmina,simply followed the example of the Emperor Charles V,whom she admired and thought wise.He abdicated in a time that such an act was without precedent,yet he did abdicate.As with the coming of years he felt his Realm needed a younger Monarch.A wise rather then a "horrendous idea" for pete's sake...

She felt the same.Actually she had felt the same already before WW II,bu Juliana and Bernhard talked her of of it at that point.Then came the war
and ofcourse there was no question on the iossue.Then as now,it is a total non-issue.

Maybe it was discussed elsewhere but might Friso´s health situation have an influence on Beatrix´ decision to abdicate (in case he might not recover completeley or even worse....)?

I understand that every royal house does things their own way, but I for one prefer how the British Royal Family does it. You're monarch until your death, barring unforeseen circumstances (see: Edward VIII). No talk of abdication or stepping down because you're no longer as young as you used to be. Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are still plugging along, and both are rather advanced in age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom