Abdication Issues & Rumours (2008-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was discussed elsewhere but might Friso´s health situation have an influence on Beatrix´ decision to abdicate (in case he might not recover completeley or even worse....)?

I've wondered this myself.

I've wondered this myself.

No this wasn't discussed elsewhere cher Madame Royal et tout,and we won't have it here now,not now,not anytime untill HM decides if or when to make that known if she decides too ever at all,not posters.Nor are we interested in the British goings on here in this Dutch thread,we are aware of what goes on elsewhere...more then at some places...This is a sort of implying uncommon to us Dutch,and certainly at this time.We don't do rag ifs andf buts here!And therefor it will not be welcomed nor answerd at this moment in time when HM is with her son in this sad situation.I do hope you all understand.Thank you.:)..

Hello down there,XeniaCasiraghi,please read the above,Gracie!

Last edited:
When it comes to abdication, I am all for it if the monarch is just getting too old. Or perhaps the monarch can keep the title but some of those duties and walk abouts go to their successor. What crazy would do we live in where someone in their 70's+ is still expected to do the same work they did when they were 40?
But if Friso doesn't come back 100% why would that influence if his mother abdicates? I didn't think Friso was the heir.

When it comes to abdication, I am all for it if the monarch is just getting too old. Or perhaps the monarch can keep the title but some of those duties and walk abouts go to their successor. What crazy would do we live in where someone in their 70's+ is still expected to do the same work they did when they were 40?
But if Friso doesn't come back 100% why would that influence if his mother abdicates? I didn't think Friso was the heir.

In what crazy world do we live in that an otherwise healthy 70+ person would be considered too old to carry on working if they wish to? Its not as if being monarch is the same a labourer doing heavy lifting. In The Netherlands abdication remains a decision of the monarch. And no, Friso is not an heir to the throne.

In what crazy world do we live in that an otherwise healthy 70+ person would be considered too old to carry on working if they wish to? Its not as if being monarch is the same a labourer doing heavy lifting. In The Netherlands abdication remains a decision of the monarch. And no, Friso is not an heir to the throne.

Please,could we all refrain from posting in this thread for the time being!It is not a sign of good taste to even trying to discuss this sort of thing in view of the present circumstances as I've requested two posts above.It is not opportune.Besides that you're absolutely right NGalitzine.

Last edited:

Beatrix is healthy and that is good for her. I am not saying that they should be forced off of the throne or away from their job. I am just saying that if they are slowing down with age then they shouldn't be expected to continue on like the years aren't catching up with them. As you said, Beatrix will make the decision if she wants to abdicate and when she wants to do so, I am in no way saying that such a decision should be taken from her.

Female Abdications.

Since 1945, three female sovereigns have voluntarily abdicated their thrones, Queens Wilelmina and Juliana of the Netherlands and Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg. In comparison, only one male Monarch had done so, Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. ( The other male abdications, King Peter of Yugoslavia, Boris of Bulgaria, Leka of Albania, Victor Emmanuel and Umberto of Italy, Michael of Romania and Leopold of Belgium, cannot be termed voluntary ) All other male Sovereigns in Europe have died whilst on their respective thrones, King Constantine of Greece was of course deposed and has not formally abdicated. At the risk of sounding vaguely sexist, has`nt the plethora of female abdication been rather counter-productive, to the Monarchist cause? Particularly as we are now in the era of equal succession rights to the throne?

James VI - you will be fully aware that it is customary in the Netherlands and Luxembourg for monarchs to have the choice to abdicate if and when they choose to do so. The fact that they happen to have been female doesn't come in to it. One might say that of those monarchs who have been deposed, all were male and we will never know whether a female monarch might have managed to avoided it. The monarch who abdicated for the worst reason (pre-1945 I admit) - and not out of what was best for the country per se - was a male.

As with all families, where something so serious has happened, life will be changing for the Dutch RF as well. Maybe not so much on the outside, but emotionally for sure. So before the situation itself is not even resolved, far less coped with it, it is IMHO impossible to predict or even discuss what will happen. We can only imagine how HM feels at the moment but have absolutely no basis for a discussion besides (as Lucien pointed out) quite tasteless speculation. :flowers:

Given the devestating news about Prince Frisco, I am also wondering if HM will now want to continue on.... On the other hand this could strengten her resolve to go on, to allow W-A and Maxima to spend as much time with their daughters as possible

HRHofNothing said:
Given the devestating news about Prince Frisco, I am also wondering if HM will now want to continue on.... On the other hand this could strengten her resolve to go on, to allow W-A and Maxima to spend as much time with their daughters as possible

What is now the state of HRH Prince Friso's health?

And the rumours ended on january 28th 2013
When did they start?

There may be some reasons behind her decision to abdicate. She would not simply create a shock out of the blue in the midst of a very peaceful and tranquil environment. But whatever her personal reasons are the decision is very well respected.

At this time, the Dutch parliament gathered for the official communication from the Prime Minister about de abdication and the installation of the new king.

As HM has announced her abdication, it is time to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom