The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Princess Beatrix

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
I think her HM the Queen, will not become HM Queen Beatrix after her abdication, but she might be informally referred to as the Queen-Mother, as former Premier Lubbers has already done in the programma Buitenhof. If she would remain a Majesty and a Queen, this would be too confusing for the international and Dutch public.

HM the Queen will become HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nasssau.... once more..
__________________

__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #122  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
I don't see why it's supposedly confusing? Surely people can distinguish between the spouse of the monarch and a dowager? They seem to manage fine elsewhere.

It's a very weird practice from this foreigners point of view.
__________________

__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #123  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I don't see why it's supposedly confusing? Surely people can distinguish between the spouse of the monarch and a dowager? They seem to manage fine elsewhere.

It's a very weird practice from this foreigners point of view.
Tru. I found it even more confusing aftern the death of Queen Juliana when she one the onen side was stilladressed as Princess but on the other side it was said that she now would be called Queen like it's now done.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

  #124  
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I don't see why it's supposedly confusing? Surely people can distinguish between the spouse of the monarch and a dowager? They seem to manage fine elsewhere.

It's a very weird practice from this foreigners point of view.
We are a country ruled by populists these days.. things cannot be unclear in any way..

I can imagine this is strange for foreigners, but our last two monarchs were referred to as princesses after abdicating, for Dutch citizens it has become a normal practice, and it also generates popularity and affection showing this kind of modesty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Tru. I found it even more confusing aftern the death of Queen Juliana when she one the onen side was stilladressed as Princess but on the other side it was said that she now would be called Queen like it's now done.
When Premier Balkenende annouced that Princess Juliana would from that moment on be known once more as Queen Juliana, As a Dutch citizen I did not experience this as confusing, it felt as if they were honouring her by annoucing this so publicly. Besides this, after death, royals and especially kings and queens are usually referred to by their highest rank

Remember that we had several periodes in history without the Orange dynasty, We had two Stadholderless periods and King William II remembered this very well, when he turned from conservative to liberal in one night. The Queen will save her honour and the honour of her dynasty, but in the Netherlands this never happens by clinging on to a certain form of power or position. Things are open to change, and so I believe are the Queen and her heir.
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #125  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maastricht/Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomeus View Post
I think her HM the Queen, will not become HM Queen Beatrix after her abdication, but she might be informally referred to as the Queen-Mother, as former Premier Lubbers has already done in the programma Buitenhof. If she would remain a Majesty and a Queen, this would be too confusing for the international and Dutch public.

HM the Queen will become HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nasssau.... once more..
Hello Bartholomeus.

After her abdication Queen Beatrix will automatically become Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. There is no any Royal Decree or other handling needed for that. The Royal House Act 2002 says:

Article 7

The presumed succesor to the King bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange.

Article 8

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

Article 9

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau.

In the long legislative process which resulted in the modernized Royal House Act 2002, the lawmaker showed the intention to have the title of King exclusively be used by the Sovereign. And the title of Prince of Orange exclusively by the Heir.




Henri.
__________________
  #126  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomeus View Post
When Premier Balkenende annouced that Princess Juliana would from that moment on be known once more as Queen Juliana, As a Dutch citizen I did not experience this as confusing, it felt as if they were honouring her by annoucing this so publicly. Besides this, after death, royals and especially kings and queens are usually referred to by their highest rank
Bzut why was she then referred on the specialMemorialWebsite of the Royal House as princess and not as Queen.See here: The Dutch Royal House
And ifi remeberright the Priest referredto her during the funeral Service also as Princess Juliana not as Queen Juliana
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

  #127  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:39 PM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
Hello Bartholomeus.

After her abdication Queen Beatrix will automatically become Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. There is no any Royal Decree or other handling needed for that. The Royal House Act 2002 says:

Article 7

The presumed succesor to the King bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange.

Article 8

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

Article 9

1. The presumed successor to the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bears the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau.

In the long legislative process which resulted in the modernized Royal House Act 2002, the lawmaker showed the intention to have the title of King exclusively be used by the Sovereign. And the title of Prince of Orange exclusively by the Heir.




Henri.
I did not know of this act, but it makes sence. though people might informally refer to Beatrix as Queen Mother after the abdication, anyhow..
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #128  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Bzut why was she then referred on the specialMemorialWebsite of the Royal House as princess and not as Queen.See here: The Dutch Royal House
And ifi remeberright the Priest referredto her during the funeral Service also as Princess Juliana not as Queen Juliana
I personally think Queen Juliana during her life never wanted to be Queen and the vicar (not a Priest) referred to that personal desire.
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #129  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomeus View Post
I personally think Queen Juliana during her life never wanted to be Queen and the vicar (not a Priest) referred to that personal desire.
OK but that is what it made confusing.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

  #130  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,224
Not only the priest called her princess, but everybody did. In the press and 'on the street'. But after a few years most are using 'queen' at the moment. I personally prefer the Luxembourg situation too, but it can not be changed anymore (and any abdicating monarch who would change it would be considered a snob by public opinion).
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
  #131  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 306
When a monarch abdicates they give up the title as well as the office, only the widow of a king can become queen mother or dowager queen.
__________________
  #132  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 AM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
When a monarch abdicates they give up the title as well as the office, only the widow of a king can become queen mother or dowager queen.
This is not true, Belgian King Leopold III became HM King Leopold after abdicating. And the first William to become king of the Netherlands styled himself King William Frederick, Count of Nassauafter abdicating in 1840.
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #133  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 AM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
OK but that is what it made confusing.
It might be confusing for foreigners, for Dutch people it isn't, :-)
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #134  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 AM
bartholomeus's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Not only the priest called her princess, but everybody did. In the press and 'on the street'. But after a few years most are using 'queen' at the moment. I personally prefer the Luxembourg situation too, but it can not be changed anymore (and any abdicating monarch who would change it would be considered a snob by public opinion).
I think Beatrix could 'get away with it', but she wont off course..
__________________
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
  #135  
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
ap3's Avatar
ap3 ap3 is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 315
royalty in the news summarizes a recent de telegraaf article showing the crown princely couple are doing more engagements this year than last year, and beatrix is doing fewer, and that many see this as another sign of abdication sooner rather than later:
Dutch Crown Princely Couple Noticably Doing More Duties « Royalty in the News
__________________
  #136  
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 AM
RoyalistRiley's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3 View Post
royalty in the news summarizes a recent de telegraaf article showing the crown princely couple are doing more engagements this year than last year, and beatrix is doing fewer, and that many see this as another sign of abdication sooner rather than later:
Dutch Crown Princely Couple Noticably Doing More Duties « Royalty in the News
Just because the Queen is doing fewer engagements does not mean she is necessarily going to abdicate - it could just be that she is getting on a bit and wants to slow down while still continuing as monarch.
__________________
God Save the Queen! Advance Australia Fair!
"Life is a game in which the player must appear ridiculous" - The Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downton Abbey
http://twitter.com/FutureSirRiley
  #137  
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3 View Post
royalty in the news summarizes a recent de telegraaf article showing the crown princely couple are doing more engagements this year than last year, and beatrix is doing fewer, and that many see this as another sign of abdication sooner rather than later:
Dutch Crown Princely Couple Noticably Doing More Duties « Royalty in the News
The Telegraaf,a pulp morning paper,had the article due to publication at the Royal House website,it wasn't theirs to figur out
allthough they love the feathers in their butt for scoops where there are none.

Het Koninklijk Huis
__________________
  #138  
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,389
I really don't think Beatrix would abdicate soon, for the children of W-A and Maxima are still very young and Beatrix herself said that she was thankful for the time she spent with her family when she was the heir to the throne.
__________________
  #139  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clevedon,Bristol, United Kingdom
Posts: 9
It is quite common for the Dutch Monarch to stand down at some stage,but i think its a great pity,especailly as Beatrix is in such good health,and another odd thing is ,that when this happens,as in Beatrix Mothers case,they revert to the title Princess,and not Queen Mother.?
__________________
  #140  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clevedon,Bristol, United Kingdom
Posts: 9
PS/ As in the case of HM Queen Elizabeth11 of the UK,her mother was refered to as HM Queen Elizabeth in Court circles,but was commonly refered to as HM The Queen Mother,a title she apparently hated.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
abdication, beatrix, queen beatrix


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abdication Issues & Belgium Marengo Abdication & Installation 2013 35 07-03-2013 09:16 AM
Belgian Abdication, Succession and Constitutional Issues Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 1 10-20-2010 05:39 AM
William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008 Duchess Prince Harry and Prince William 2208 05-11-2009 05:22 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess eleonore princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]