The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Princess Beatrix

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Former Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers (CDA), stated in the political programme Buitenhof that he hoped that Queen Beatrix would stay on for a while longer. He also said that although WA is of the same age of his mother when she became queen, his consort is not. Prince Claus was older and prince Claus was in the Netherlands for a longer time too.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

A column in Dutch by Afshin Ellian, that appeared in the political magazine Elsevier:

Elsevier.nl - Weblog - Waarom koningin Beatrix nog niet aftreedt (in Dutch only)

He gives his view of Ruud Lubbers words. and claims that the main reason why Beatrix will not abdicate now is that Maxima still has to gain more respect and authority. She is extremely popular but it is easier to be queen of the gossip press than to be a serious queen to everybody. This is the secret in The Hague, he claims. He says that prince Claus was a European, intellectual aristocrat while Maxima is a cheerful latina, she is able to appeal to youngsters but she still has a lot to learn before she gains the amount of respect that prince Claus had.

He also mentions Maxima's remarks that the typical dutchman does not exist and claims that she is too much in the direction of the 'multicultural' green-left party.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Royal Highness

In Pictures: World's Richest Royals - Queen Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, Netherlands - Forbes.com
Fortune of Queen Beatrix and her family has been hit by declines in real estate and equities. Also rumored to have lost up to $100 million when Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme collapsed, though the royal house denies the allegations. Narrowly avoided injury in May when a man drove his car into a crowd of parade spectators on Queen's Day, killing eight, including the driver, and almost hitting the open bus in which the queen and her family were riding. Rumored to be considering stepping down so that her eldest son, Willem-Alexander, can ascend the throne.

Would she really do that? Is there a history/tradition of abdication rather than serving as monarch until one dies (like with the British royals)?

Is there a tradition of abdication within the royal house? I don't know about the politics of the Netherlands but I believe a Monarch should serve as long as physically possible.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Is there a tradition of abdication within the royal house? I don't know about the politics of the Netherlands but I believe a Monarch should serve as long as physically possible.
No,there is no tradition,even though two Queens abdicated,it is not a rule nor tradition.
Please read the previous posts,I think it has been explained before.

It was more Wilhelmina's respect for Charles V,who abdicated when he felt he was no longer capable due to his health,
that made Wilhelmina abdicate,she was tired.Same for Juliana.When they get tired and senile,all Monarchs should step
down as their role would just be a mere farce.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Beatrix is one of my favourite European Monarchs,I hope she never abdicates or if she does,she retains her title of Queen .
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post
Of course Máxima will became queen! The consorts of the late kings were, why shouldn't her be too? Queen Sophie, Queen Emma, they all hold that title. This is not a doubt. What I doubt if Beatrix will become a HRH like her mother and grandmother, since it's strange to see a reigning queen called "Queen Mother".

Dutch former PM Ruud Lubbers referred to HM the Queen in her future position/role as a mother of the King as Queen Mother.. But the title of Queen Mother does not really exist, its more a sort of official/unofficial style.

This question is not an easy thing. One would guess - because Dutch royals always do their best to look humble and are very aware of the history of their family - that Beatrix would assume the same title as her mother and grand mother have after their reigns. One must note that this is not a very long standing tradition.. and it is linked only to abdications in favour of a daughter.

There is no reason why HM The Queen should not be referred to after her abdication as HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands or (un)officially as Queen Mother. And I can imagine since The Queen has reigned in quite the opposite manner, compared to the personal reigns of her mother and grandmother, that HM will not necessarily choose the same style as they have after their abdications.
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomeus View Post
There is no reason why HM The Queen should not be referred to after her abdication as HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands or (un)officially as Queen Mother. And I can imagine since The Queen has reigned in quite the opposite manner, compared to the personal reigns of her mother and grandmother, that HM will not necessarily choose the same style as they have after their abdications.
When a King or Queen abdicates they not only give up the position but also the title so Beatrix would revert to her original title of Princess.
Personally, I hope she never abdicates as she is one fantastic monarch. As it has been pointed out before, just because Wihelmina and Juliana abdicated does not make it a tradition. The majority of Dutch monarchs have not abdicated.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
When a King or Queen abdicates they not only give up the position but also the title so Beatrix would revert to her original title of Princess.
Personally, I hope she never abdicates as she is one fantastic monarch. As it has been pointed out before, just because Wihelmina and Juliana abdicated does not make it a tradition. The majority of Dutch monarchs have not abdicated.

When a King or Queen abdicates they do not necessarily give up their title: King Leopold III of Belgium, for instance, was referred to after his abdication as: HM King Leopold of Belgium.
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomeus View Post

When a King or Queen abdicates they do not necessarily give up their title: King Leopold III of Belgium, for instance, was referred to after his abdication as: HM King Leopold of Belgium.
The same asd Grand Duchess Charlotte and Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. But is not regulated in the new Act of Membershiop of the Royal House that an abdicated dutch Monarch will be Prince/Princess? If this is the case Beatrix will have no choose as her mother and grandmother had.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Untill now the majority of Dutch monarchs have actually abdicated..

William I - abdicated
Wilhelmina - abdicated
Juliana - abdicated

William II - didnt abdicate
William III - didnt abdicate
Elizabeth I
Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I also hope that Queen Beatrix stays on and does not abdicate.
She is still healthy and robust and glamourous. She seems to always being smiling and enjoying her queenly duties, much as Elizabeth II and Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

But, this is a personal decision that she must make and we should have nothing to say about it... We do not really know what a difficult job being a Queen, King or royal actually is.
Being 'on stage' constantly and never being alone - not a job for me!!

Good job, Beatrix, and good luck.....

Larry
Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

I also hope that Queen Beatrix stays on and does not abdicate.
She is still healthy and robust and glamourous. She seems to always being smiling and enjoying her queenly duties, much as Elizabeth II and Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

But, this is a personal decision that she must make and we should have nothing to say about it... We do not really know what a difficult job being a Queen, King or royal actually is.
Being 'on stage' constantly and never being alone - not a job for me!!

Good job, Beatrix, and good luck.....

Larry
they have a lot of opportunities to enjoy themselves privately... dont worry one doesnt have to pity them...
Elizabeth I
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope it will be quite some time before Queen Beatrix abdicates from the throne. (if she does chose to do so) She does such a great job in my opinion. I recently watched her televised statement after the Apeldoorn Attack and to watch her really showed how much she loves the Dutch people and took that event to heart. Queen Bea's huge heart shines thru in all she does.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

I can't imagine the Queen will retire any time soon. Her son's carefully build-up image has been broken into pieces the last months and the royal house is not in a too comfortable position at the moment. And even more importantly: the next election will be another disaster, with the (republican) extreme right party expected to become the largest party of the country. Forming a government will be very difficult, not really something you want a new and unexperienced king to do.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

think so too, it is always difficult but this is not a time to abdicate and perhaps B. will not abdicate for another 10 years because she likes her work.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is true. When Queen Juliana abdicated, then princess Beatrix was ready to assume her new role.
I feel that with Prince Claus gone, Q Beatrix is more or less more "married" to her role as Queen than her mother was at the time of her abdication.
Besides, WA is still a father of a young family and the more time they have to raise their family away from a monarch's duties, the more they will be ready to assume their responsibilities.
I hope Q Beatrix stays on the throne for a long time to come.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you Odette. I hope the Queen will give Willem-A and Maxima more time and I think she will. She's still in very good health.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Her son's carefully build-up image has been broken into pieces the last months
Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. There is criticism on everyone every now and then, it doesn't mean people's faith in them then is gone. He is still very popular and most still think he will make a good king.

I do think Queen Beatrix will abdicate before her 75th birthday, not later. The reason for her not abdicating right now or in the past years was indirectly given by former PM Ruud Lubbers earlier this year. She thinks Maxima should be a few years older and wants to give them time with their family.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well Maxima is 38, with the youngest of her daughters being 2 years old. That's young to become Queen and have to leave your young daughters even more than they do now, I know other Monarchs have done it, but time seems benifical to me with family if at all possible. And perphas W-A and Maxima may want to have more children before becomeing King & Queen.....just a thought.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsesbeagle View Post
Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. There is criticism on everyone every now and then, it doesn't mean people's faith in them then is gone. He is still very popular and most still think he will make a good king.

I do think Queen Beatrix will abdicate before her 75th birthday, not later. The reason for her not abdicating right now or in the past years was indirectly given by former PM Ruud Lubbers earlier this year. She thinks Maxima should be a few years older and wants to give them time with their family.
Broken into pieces might have been a strong statement indeed, but his image certainly is not what it used to be. 36% lost sympathy for the royal family and the prince is the most popular target in the media. An abdication is unwise at this moment. Of course it won't take a decade to repair the image, that is true.

What the foprmer PM Lubbers also added was that apart from Máxima's age, she still needs to 'learn' more. She only has been doing this for a few years and still needs to get the sensitivities of Dutch society, he used her comments on the Dutch identity as an example.

-
But again, I do think the next elections will be extremely difficult, so the queen will not abdicate before that for sure.

Tags
abdication, beatrix, queen beatrix