The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Did Ingrid have any other reason to dislike her stepmother beyond the fact that she must have seen her as "replacing" her mother? I'm sure that would be reason enough for a 10-year-old, but was Louise unkind to her at all?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Did Ingrid have any other reason to dislike her stepmother beyond the fact that she must have seen her as "replacing" her mother? I'm sure that would be reason enough for a 10-year-old, but was Louise unkind to her at all?
I don't think she was ever unkind to her.
But I think Ingrid had ever right to not like her step-mother, Ingrid was 10 when her mother died and she possible felt that Louise was trying to replace her mother.
Does anyone know if Louise every met Margrethe, Benedikte or Anne-Marie?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Does anyone know if Louise every met Margrethe, Benedikte or Anne-Marie?
She did no doubt, after all she was married to their grand father ! Ingrid went to Stockholm for private visits and vice versa, King Gustav Adolf went to Denmark. However I'd imagine that the relationship was friendly, but formal. I cannot find any pictures of Queen Louise and the three sisters, maybe someone out there can help?

Viv
Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

How was the relationship of Ingrid with her sisters-in-law, Sybilla and the others ?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Courtier

This may not be the best thread to post this in as it's quite a few members of the extended family, but Queen Ingrid's at the center. The first 30 seconds look like footage of Margrethe's birthday circa 1970, but after that it's Ingrid in the nursery with a bunch of her grandchildren. My guesses on who's who: Margrethe is holding Joachim, Frederik has on the red shirt and plays with the little car, Alexia is the little girl (obviously), Niklaos is the baby in Ingrid's arms, Pavlos is the bigger blond boy, and Gustav is the other little boy?

Ingrid's voice sounds very grandmotherly. I'm assuming she is speaking Danish, which is interesting because I've read that Anne-Marie's children didn't learn Danish. What language did their grandparents speak to them in? Obviously later it could have been English, but what about when they were little?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the lovely video, Maura724 Interesting question. Was Ingrid able to speak greek or french maybe with them?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you very much for posting the video above Maura724! When teh video is over, you can click on teh boxes below and see other videos and it's a fascinating insight into the Danish Royal Family - before I had only seen photos of their afternoon teas! Queen Ingrid does sound very grandmotherly and it seems her voice is a slightly deeper version of Queen Margrethe's.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Was Ingrid able to speak greek or french maybe with them?
I don't think Ingrid spoke Greek. I'm sure she knew French, but I doubt the children would have been able to speak it at such a young age. I don't think AM and Constantine raised them to be bilingual from the beginning (like Margrethe and Henrik did with their boys, where Margrethe spoke Danish to them and Henrik spoke French), so I would assume they only spoke Greek when they were little. Maybe Ingrid and Frederik learned a few basic phrases in Greek, relied on Anne-Marie as a translator sometimes, and otherwise just didn't do much talking with Alexia and Pavlos? At that age maybe you don't really need much chatting with your grandparents as long as you get lots of affection?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

I know I am coming to this thread late, but I would imagine that losing her mother at the age of 10 certainly had an effect on Ingrid. And anyone woman who attempted to take her place, would have noticed tons of pictures of Princess Margaret around the house. Most likely any womanw with the potential to take her mother's place would have faced the same issue.

It was certainly up to Ingird's father to interject.

And what Queen Victoria are we talking about it? Surely, not Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, she had been dead by the 1920's for a couple of years.

Any sources regarding the relationship between Ingrid and Louise.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

You're right, Maura724 and it is said that especially very young children can learn languages very easily. So they might have learned a bit from their grandmother or at least understood what she was meaning if she only talked in Danish to them, even they never learned Danish itself.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
And what Queen Victoria are we talking about it? Surely, not Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, she had been dead by the 1920's for a couple of years.
Ingrid's grandmother was Victoria of Baden. She was married to King Gustav V and was a queen of Sweden. Maybe you're thinking about her?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Courtier

When Prince Joachim brought home Alexandra Manley did Queen Ingrid take an active part in helping Princess Alexandra become the wonderful princess she became ????

Did anyone ever tell Queen Ingrid that the marriage of Joachim & Alexandra was coming to a rocky closure ???
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
When Prince Joachim brought home Alexandra Manley did Queen Ingrid take an active part in helping Princess Alexandra become the wonderful princess she became ???
I'd imagine that Queen Ingrid gave Princess Alexandra the occasional advice, but I doubt that Ingrid took A. under her wings, as she did with Queen Silvia. I'll gladly stand corrected on this in case any compatriots know otherwise; I for one don't remember reading anything about it.

Quote:
Did anyone ever tell Queen Ingrid that the marriage of Joachim & Alexandra was coming to a rocky closure ???
No! Queen Ingrid died in November 2000, fours years before the separation was announced. She may have known though - in fact I'd find it strange if she didn't - that the marriage was in problems pretty early on. There were rumours in the media as early as 1998 and the reason I remember it is, that the magazine in question normally never published rumours or anything controversial about our royal family. However they had a case and pictures to prove it: Alexandra and Joachim arguing in the Royal Theatre (caught on TV camera, I watched it myself), Alexandra extending her sojourns with her family in HKG, her absence from events in their circle of friends or, if she was present - Joachim wasn't. It happened as early as 1998!

Viv
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Thanks for all those old lovely pictures. We all know Queen Ingrid & CP Frederik were very close. What about Queen Ingrid other grandchildren---how close was she to them, afterall Joachim lived in Denmark
Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Thanks for all those old lovely pictures. We all know Queen Ingrid & CP Frederik were very close. What about Queen Ingrid other grandchildren---how close was she to them, afterall Joachim lived in Denmark
Both Joachim and Frederik lived in Denmark.
She had Gratsen i believe with Alexandra and Nathalie each year, not sure about the Greek side.
I presume she saw them only on special occasions.

I have always believe that Frederik was her favourite.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Commoner

Queen Ingrid had a close relation to all her grandchildren. It was very importent to her that they had a good relation to each other. Each summer Ingrid invited all the grandchildren to stay with her in gråsten castel.
For a period after the greek royal family left Greece, Alexia and Pavlos lived with there grandmother in Denmark.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Courtier

In Jan Bloch Skipper's "Tre Sostre," Margrethe, Benedikte, and Anne-Marie mention how Ingrid was never a "general grandmother" and had a unique relationship with each of the 10 grandkids. Margrethe says her mother was very good at relating to them all as individuals and understanding what was special about each of them.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Courtier

I think that Queen Ingrid always looked much older than her birthdate proofs.
On Facebook there is a photo of Phillipos´ baptism and though she was "only" 76 at that time she looks IMO at least ten years older. Same with the time of Anne-Marie´s wedding: It´s almost unbelieveable that such an "old looking" woman had a daughter with the age of 18. Don´t know but might it come from her having been a heavy smoker?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Courtier

I've noticed that too, Stefanie. It's not so much that she aged badly, as I think she was always an attractive woman, as it is that she aged unusually quickly.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:24 AM

I cannot help but wonder, I know Scandinavian languages are close, but did Queen Ingrid ever learn to speak Danish like a native speaker of Danish?

Tags
queen ingrid